VCU over The Bills by 6

The Wiz

14 minutes ago, billiCAN said:

This is typical VCU, whose fans are similar to cub fans with their look at me, unwarranted bluster. A10 remains a probable Juan Bid league. 

One thing I see lacking in the Wiz' computer is the ability to factor in the intangibles.  VCU is staring at a regular season championship.  A chance to knock down one of it's closest competitors.  Always winning at home.  A Nick Kern revenge game.  Baldwin wanting to b*tch slap Collins.  A team that's won 6 of its last 7 games and 11 of its last 13.  

Baldwin leads the Rams in scoring at 12.9.  Since his huge effort against us, he hasn't come close to that with his next game high being 19 against Davidson back on January 7.  He also dropped 18 in his last game against Richmond.  Despite his 31 against the Joey's, Nunn is only averaging just under 10 ppg for the season.  His only other 20+ ppg was against Kennesaw State.  Against the Joey's, he was guarded by Erik Reynolds, a purely offensive player.  The 'shooter' has been David Shriver, who has been outted in league play.  In his last ten A10 games, Shriver has shot 8 of 31 (26%) from deep.  He was 6 of 8 from deep early against both Davidson and Dayton.  I'd be content to let the whole roster shoot from deep and take my chances.  Of course, they'll like make 18 tonight and crush us because well, we are the Billikens.

A win is possible but all things must click.

23 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

Hopefully someone can guard Baldwin tomorrow.  Jimerson?  But Nunn hit St Joe for 31.  So who guards Nunn?  Jimerson?  Johns netted 17 against Rhode Island.  Who guards Johns?  Jimerson?

So you were close buttttt Baldwin still had a solid game and Baldwin muzzled Jimmerson

I was hoping I was going to be wrong on the forecast. Unfortunately, we missed too many of the numbers in my original post.  Bolded statements are from that post above. 

TOs match them... There were a number of stats to point to as the reason for the loss...This one was the most telling...8 extra TOs....we had a total of 20 TOs...in basketball metrics...16 is considered an F and 20 is considered an automatic loss....meaning the other numbers don't matter much once you hit 20.  And the reason for that is pts off TOs...VCU 22...SLU...7...ball game......but let's look at the other numbers as a learning experience as there is a  good chance we will see VCU again this season.

Make some FTs... in our  last game with VCU they had an extra 10 FTA and 10 FTM.....this game an extra  12 FTA and 11 FTM...cut down on the fouls AND make some FT shots....we needed to match them here...this stat line was a game changer.

Make the slash...47/35/75...41/41/57 another miss....we missed 5 extra 2s and 3 extra FTs=13pts

hold them to less than 70 pts total...if we make one of the above 3 stats then we probably win the game

Beat them on the boards by 6...they beat us by 1...I know Okoro was missing but this stat was survivable if some of the other stats had fallen into place.

It wasn't all doom and gloom, it was a fairly close game till the end and an Okoro might have made the difference. In addition, we did  Stop Baldwin. ...12 pts. vs 37 with 54/0/0 vs 80/80/100 last time which is a big improvement.  Baldwin , Johns, and Deloach...hold them to a combined 45 pts...37 pts another good stat.

Bottom line ...it wasn't a pretty game... but we did make some improvements in some areas  . We can beat them next time (A10 tourney) if we fix at least one of the first 3 stats....especially the TOs.