Jump to content

USMNT, Who's on your 23, or is it 26?


Recommended Posts

My reading is that FIFA hasn't yet decided if teams will carry 23 or 26 to Qatar.  23 had been the normal before covid increased roster size to 26.

I'll start with my 23 and then add 3.  There are several holes in my roster.

Striker - Ferreria, Wright and Pepi (not very awe inspiring)

Wings - Pulisic, Weah, Aaronson, Reyna

Central Mid - Musah, McKennie, De La Torre, Arriola

Defensive Mid - Adams, Acosta

Right Back - Dest, Yedlin

Central Back - Zimmerman, Long, Richards, Carter-Vickers

Left Back - Robinson (yeah only one - I ran out of room)

GK - Turner, Johnson, Steffan

If 26, then I add Bello at LB, Morris at Wing and Busio at Central Mid.

My starters are underlined.  I could easily see Johnson starting at GK, as he likely will have the most game minutes between now and November.

And you know that at least one of these 23 (26) will get injured between now and November and be out for the World Cup.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

My reading is that FIFA hasn't yet decided if teams will carry 23 or 26 to Qatar.  23 had been the normal before covid increased roster size to 26.

I'll start with my 23 and then add 3.  There are several holes in my roster.

Striker - Ferreria, Wright and Pepi (not very awe inspiring)

Wings - Pulisic, Weah, Aaronson, Reyna

Central Mid - Musah, McKennie, De La Torre, Arriola

Defensive Mid - Adams, Acosta

Right Back - Dest, Yedlin

Central Back - Zimmerman, Long, Richards, Carter-Vickers

Left Back - Robinson (yeah only one - I ran out of room)

GK - Turner, Johnson, Steffan

If 26, then I add Bello at LB, Morris at Wing and Busio at Central Mid.

My starters are underlined.  I could easily see Johnson starting at GK, as he likely will have the most game minutes between now and November.

And you know that at least one of these 23 (26) will get injured between now and November and be out for the World Cup.

A few Differences, but not many

Striker FERRERIA / Wright or Pepi flip a coin, I don't care. Not even 100% sold on Ferreria

Wings - PULISIC / WEAH / Aaronson, Morris ( I'm still not sure I don't start Aaronson, or Weah up top and the other is the 2nd wing. 

CM - MCKENNIE / MUSAH / Reyna / De La Torre  ( I'm still unsettled on what to do with The 4 of Musah, Reyna, Weah, Aaronson. I want them all on the field 

DM - ADAMS / Acosta

RB - DEST / Yedlin / Cannon

LB - ROBINSON / ( Dest ) There is no one else at all. 

CB - ZIMMERMAN / LONG / Richards / ? 

GK - TURNER / STEFFAN / JOHNSON 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

A few Differences, but not many

Striker FERRERIA / Wright or Pepi flip a coin, I don't care. Not even 100% sold on Ferreria

Wings - PULISIC / WEAH / Aaronson, Morris ( I'm still not sure I don't start Aaronson, or Weah up top and the other is the 2nd wing. 

CM - MCKENNIE / MUSAH / Reyna / De La Torre  ( I'm still unsettled on what to do with The 4 of Musah, Reyna, Weah, Aaronson. I want them all on the field 

DM - ADAMS / Acosta

RB - DEST / Yedlin / Cannon

LB - ROBINSON / ( Dest ) There is no one else at all. 

CB - ZIMMERMAN / LONG / Richards / ? 

GK - TURNER / STEFFAN / JOHNSON 

We both only list 7 defenders.  Coach B will carry more than 7. 

slufanskip likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, HoosierPal said:

We both only list 7 defenders.  Coach B will carry more than 7. 

I agree, I'm just not sure where else to go lol.  

Did you ever think we'd be talking about a USMNT with to many attacking players to get them all on the field at once, not enough defenders, and only 2 defensive mids. I can remember the days when even our attacking mids were actually defensive mids but it's all we had. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I agree, I'm just not sure where else to go lol.  

Did you ever think we'd be talking about a USMNT with to many attacking players to get them all on the field at once, not enough defenders, and only 2 defensive mids. I can remember the days when even our attacking mids were actually defensive mids but it's all we had. 

Long gone are those days, although Dempsey sure would look good up top.

This will be one of the youngest teams at the WC.  While we all wish the team good luck in Qatar, I'm looking at this tourney as a stepping stone to 2026.

slufanskip likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Long gone are those days, although Dempsey sure would look good up top.

This will be one of the youngest teams at the WC.  While we all wish the team good luck in Qatar, I'm looking at this tourney as a stepping stone to 2026.

I'll reach back a bit further for a SLU grad

HoosierPal and brianstl like this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I'll reach back a bit further for a SLU grad

Imo one of our biggest problems in scoring from the 9 is we just never seem to get our head on a ball for a dangerous shot. McBride was dominant with his head. We had 1 vs El Salvador, I think it might have been Weah ( not a 9 but ...) , cross to the back post and we can't decide foot or head. It was clearly one that we easily should have put our head on for an easy goal. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

Imo one of our biggest problems in scoring from the 9 is we just never seem to get our head on a ball for a dangerous shot. McBride was dominant with his head. We had 1 vs El Salvador, I think it might have been Weah ( not a 9 but ...) , cross to the back post and we can't decide foot or head. It was clearly one that we easily should have put our head on for an easy goal. 

Yeah, I was hoping that someone who can handle the physicality, with a build and quickness like Altidore had in his prime, would surface.  But Wright, Dike and Pefok, didn't show much.  You can add Pepi to this group, but he is a little thin for my definition of being physical.  Ferreria certainly isn't physical, but he does seem to know where his runs need to be.  He does a good job of occupying the opponents CB's.  He just needs to finish.  It is pretty obvious he is Coach Berhalter's favorite moving forward.

Morris did a fine job on the header against El Salvador.  I enjoyed him almost landing on the head of the defender.    

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, HoosierPal said:

Yeah, I was hoping that someone who can handle the physicality, with a build and quickness like Altidore had in his prime, would surface.  But Wright, Dike and Pefok, didn't show much.  You can add Pepi to this group, but he is a little thin for my definition of being physical.  Ferreria certainly isn't physical, but he does seem to know where his runs need to be.  He does a good job of occupying the opponents CB's.  He just needs to finish.  It is pretty obvious he is Coach Berhalter's favorite moving forward.

Morris did a fine job on the header against El Salvador.  I enjoyed him almost landing on the head of the defender.    

We have plenty of guys that look the part. 

We are so weak up top and especially in the air that one header moved Morris into making the team for me. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

 

We are so weak up top and especially in the air that one header moved Morris into making the team for me. 

I wasnt kidding about Aaronson playing the 9.  None of our strikers can finish, might as well put in someone who always seems to find the ball and get open. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, wgstl said:

I wasnt kidding about Aaronson playing the 9.  None of our strikers can finish, might as well put in someone who always seems to find the ball and get open. 

I said that over a month ago. Lalas suggested Weah, but I like Aaronson better. I also think he is so energetic up top that he may create a chance or 2 a game by causing a few turnovers. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, slufanskip said:

I said that over a month ago. Lalas suggested Weah, but I like Aaronson better. I also think he is so energetic up top that he may create a chance or 2 a game by causing a few turnovers. 

Weah has some history playing the 9 and has a much better physical build for the position. I wish we would've experimented with him and Aaronson up top. It seems unlikely to happen now given the very limited remaining games before the World CUp.

slufanskip likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BilliesBy40 said:

Weah has some history playing the 9 and has a much better physical build for the position. I wish we would've experimented with him and Aaronson up top. It seems unlikely to happen now given the very limited remaining games before the World CUp.

Ya I cant see GGG experimenting with likely just 2 friendlies until the WC. Maybe if we get a 3rd, we can do something the first one and be done if nothing. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Berhalter has said he will go with the hot hand come November.  So the door isn't completely shut on adding a striker.  I seriously doubt he moves Weah to the 9 now.  He would have done that at least against Grenada.  Perhaps Sargent or Vazquez will light a match and show they deserve a spot on the plane to Qatar. It is likely too late for Vazquez to be called up.  

If Pepi continues his, now, 9 month scoring drought, he won't be on the plane.  If Ferreria continues his pace at Dallas FC, he will be our starter.  He actually does a lot of excellent work as a 9, except finish.  And that is like the point of being a striker.  I think it was during the Grenada match the announcer said Pulisic likes playing with Ferreria in the center, as he pulls defenders with him.

The Hot Hand issue could also spell trouble for Turner and Steffen.  Johnson will be playing into late fall, and if he is stonewalling the goal, he may be our starter. Turner and Steffen will be hard pressed to see the pitch as backups.

 

slufanskip likes this
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Okay, it is now roster size of 26.  Add 3 if you only listed 23.  As I earlier wrote, mine are Morris, Bello and Busio.

FIFA hinted at the possibility of national teams being allowed to have 26 players on their roster for the upcoming World Cup and that possibility became a reality on Thursday.

26-player rosters for the 2022 World Cup has been approved, FIFA announced Thursday, extending the rosters from 23 to 26 players. UEFA allowed for 26-player rosters at the 2021 European Championships and due to possible COVID-19 outbreaks in Qatar, FIFA has followed suit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...