Polk at First Practice-Not Impressive

SLU_Nick

I know I am going to get crucified for this post. I am a die hard SLU fan and usually an optimist. I went to practice, watched and polk is so much smaller than everyone else. On one on one match ups he would get schooled by Reg and DB even out-muscled him to the basket 3 or 4 times. I dont know if I am worried just because he is such a different player than JF was. I hope that brad teaches him tough D and he is not a Defensive liability.

Leaving this Post on a high note. He is quick as lightning. It might just be personal preference to have a solid strong pg (JF) than a light quick one.

Give me motivation to get on his bandwagon. And I already know about his amazing high school stats.

I don't think it's that important that he got out-muscled to the basket. He'll get inside help. The college game is not an isolation game like the NBA. Whats more important is can he put pressure on the ball and get in the passing lanes.I swore that Brian Grawer could not play major college ball at Mo.,that he would get exposed inside. It never happened. I can't remember a game where he got posted up. It's a different game.

too be fair, it is my opinion that reggie bryant would school about every guard in the country playing one on one. so dont be too hard on young mr polk for that.

dan brown is going to out muscle everyone on the team except tom frericks. the kid is just chiseled. so dont think much about that either.

dwayne has an adjustment period to go through, but he is way too talented to not emerge eventually. dwayne is not a concern simply because we have good guards and plenty of them. our focus will be under the basket. so goes the billikens this year.

Like willie said ... pt guards in college never get posted up ... not rarely, never. He will certainly have trouble gaurding a big guard who attacks the basket strong ... but there are few pt guards with a body like JF in college. The big guards will in turn have trouble bringing the ball up the floor against DP.

Next ... T.J. Ford, Drew Lavender and dozens of other small pt guards are tremendously successful.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman