Predictions for Meyer?

Box and Won

I was sitting under the hoop SLU was shooting at in the 2nd half that day - man was Hughes awesome. Deane was ready to trot out people from the stands to try to guard him. By the time he got to 30 my friends and I were all cheering for him to get 40. One of the 3 best individual performances I've ever seen in person (would be #1 if not for that Dwyane Wade guy I saw a good 30 times).

larry was the best college player i ever saw in person. incredible. and while in college he did it all. imo he was as good defensively as anyone on the team as well. and he could pass like a point guard. if he had the point guard mentality, that would be his position in the pros imo, but he just doesnt think like one.

the most memorable play will always be the out of bounds pass to himself off samaki walker's head and ending in a dunk over a bewildered walker. to think what he would have been in a couple of more years is frightening.

his first game performance in the cusa tourney that year was pretty special as well. i am thinking he still holds the single game scoring mark for the cusa tourney. but not sure on that.

I did go back and check and I was off on AVERAGE time in games, but my point is still proven because he didn't started any games that year, he played in 24 of the 31 games, averaged 16 min/game, averaged 41% f/g shooting (which was higher than two starters over him) and averaged 94% from the free throw line.....so (not debating his stats of course) my point for this post is we shouldn't count out players because they are freshman, I will reserve my judgements until I see them play, but I won't count our their contribution potential either, because as you see with Reg even in his Freshman year he contributed.

So I'm hoping our Freshman does even better.

I was at the game as well sitting in the best seats I have ever been in at Bradley (thanks to my brother getting the season ticket spots from a big-time booster--the hardcore Marquette fans were all real nice to me after Larry got going). I remember Larry just being free and fluid that day and as Roy mentions him being very quick on defense.

I tried to look up the Milw J-S preview article (but it does not appear to be in the archive) to see if it actually was Wardle who said he could cover Hughes but their archive does not appear to have that. I remember sitting with a few SLU and Marquette fans at the Harp before the game wondering why anyone would say that and if anyone would let Larry/the team know. I have know idea if Larry had read those comments but the whole game I kept thinking he did and wanted to teach them a lesson.

Roy has mentioned the Hughes pass to himself a few times and he always says off the head which makes me cringe because I'm pretty sure it was the back. Glad somebody else has my recollection.

Also, without doing any research on it I don't think it was Samaki Walker. If I remember correctly he left after his sophomore year and I know he was on the Louisville team from two years before. Plus, Louisville was not very good the Hughes year so I doubt Samaki Walker was on that team.

As an aside, that game pissed me off because me and my buddies always sat in the 1st row of the student section (the ushers actually thought they were our real seats) but the actual ticket holders finally showed up for that game and wanted their seats. First game all season!

and you know, now that you have corrected me again, i remember going thru this before. thanks..

however we still dont know who hughes "target" was. you are correct it wasnt walker. but i cant for the life of me remember who it was.

according to frank c and earl austin jr who are both pretty sure, they think it was alex sanders that hughes abused. that makes sense since i know it was an inside guy and sanders took over the inside for louisville after walker graduated.