From RPI to NET

Bills_06

10 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

Rich i was trying to show i wasnt old enough to know better.   dont tell anyone

Roy, you could have showed what a cool guy you are and just used HH.  😉    (or in your case, hh)

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

wow a rare hermits hermits reference.   i would have bet the farm that billikens.com would not be able to effective use hermits hermits in discussion.   old guy is amazing.  

I may not be amazing but I  am old, really.

3 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

wow a rare hermits hermits reference.   i would have bet the farm that billikens.com would not be able to effective use hermits hermits in discussion.   old guy is amazing.  

Another interesting thing about what you posted. There is no sure thing probability that something will or will not happen, ever. There is always the odd chance of losing a sure fire bet. You would have lost the farm. 

I just picked up this additional change to the system. Running up the score past 10 won't buy you anything, but if you are up 8 at the end of the game, do you go for that extra bucket to push the equation slightly higher?

The NET puts a cap on margin of victory/defeat at 10 points "to prevent rankings from encouraging unsportsmanlike play, such as needlessly running up the score in a game where the outcome was certain." 

3 hours ago, HoosierPal said:

I just picked up this additional change to the system. Running up the score past 10 won't buy you anything, but if you are up 8 at the end of the game, do you go for that extra bucket to push the equation slightly higher?

The NET puts a cap on margin of victory/defeat at 10 points "to prevent rankings from encouraging unsportsmanlike play, such as needlessly running up the score in a game where the outcome was certain." 

The cap won't really matter much.  Most systems have some sort of diminishing returns on margin of victory.  The more you win by the less it means. In my system to win by 9 is good . It starts to fade after that .  By the time it gets to 14 it really doesn't make much difference. So while I have no cap, the difference between a 20 pt win and a 30 pt win is infinitesimal particularly when spread out over a 30 game schedule. Plus margin of victory is not the most important factor. There are 20 factors in that NET formula...an 8 pt win vs a 10 pt win would get lost in the numbers over a season. The more important factor is winning. If 2 teams are playing a 4 game schedule (assuming the teams they are playing are all equal)....Team A finishes with a 2-2 record...two 10 pt wins and two 1 pt losses....Team B finishes with a 4-0 record ....Four 1 pt wins....Team B will come out with the higher ranking.

Finally, the real factor in run ups is some teams are just way better than others....think buy games.  If Nova runs up a 10 point lead on Delaware St. in the first few minutes of a game and then puts their 3rd team in....they still win by 40.

To your point of a team winning by 8...would they go for 10 in the finally few seconds or hold the ball....They will hold the ball rather than go for 1/10000th of a decimal point that will have no effect.  You shoot that basket with 3 seconds left and an 8 point lead and that other team will never forget. 

Bottom line ....The cap will have no effect.

HoosierPal likes this