A10 Bubble Watch

Taj79

actually it was textbook demonstration on how to use a screen.   if only our guards used picks as effectively.   we haven't seen a guard use a pick for the billikens successfully since rickma passed away.   the secret to a pick is not the man setting the screen, it is the player with the ball drawing his defender to the pick.   our guards seem to think it is more effective to go the opposite direction or to circle around the pick far enough to allow the defender to miss the picker entirely.  

12 minutes ago, billiken_roy said:

actually it was textbook demonstration on how to use a screen.   if only our guards used picks as effectively.   we haven't seen a guard use a pick for the billikens successfully since rickma passed away.   the secret to a pick is not the man setting the screen, it is the player with the ball drawing his defender to the pick.   our guards seem to think it is more effective to go the opposite direction or to circle around the pick far enough to allow the defender to miss the picker entirely.  

I've wondered about this too. And like you said, since Rickma passed, or at least since the last of his players moved on, it seems like no one knows how to use a pick. Our ball handlers just circle around them leaving their defenders with plenty of room. Why bother, what's the point?

Thinking this through, since VCU was inbounding, the foul call was a blocking foul on GW, which is why VCU got the 2 free throws with .4 seconds left.

The GW Coach said his team was baited, which it was.  I think that was an ingenious play, about the only real hope VCU had.

The previous game in Olean was an incredible fiasco at the end.  The security guard took off with the ball, the St. Bona bench and coaches were on the floor.  The St. Bona students didn't actually rush the floor until the play had stopped.  The administrative technical was not on the St. Bona students.

In the old days, before the clock stopped after a made basket and before the days of tenths of a second on the scoreboard, VCU would have likely lost both games.  Incredible.

It drives me crazy.   And the screener doesn't know how to roll as well.   Hell I learned that in 6th grade basketball.   

BAY --- the foul on Goss was only the team's ninth, so Lewis was shooting one-and-one.  He made them both.  How did you determine it was a blocking foul?  Ref's symbol?  Goss wasn't blocking anyone -- Goss ran over Lewis using a forearm shiver (likely a reaction for his own defense, nothing intentional) .  Lewis set the pick/block and embellished some.  But that's what happens when you send a 6'11" freshman in to the game for the first time with the kid wanting to do a "good" job. 

And take a look at Lewis' setup.  His left foot was well out of bound (legal) meaning no way Goss can stay in front of the ballhandler unless he goes out of bounds which might be a technical as well.  A perfect storm === two seniors setting up an inexperienced freshman.  All credit to VCU for that one. 

20 hours ago, billiken_roy said:

McCall and Jett did this same thing often. It is a move used to beat a defensive player who is overplaying a screen trying to get through it. I think its a fairly new trend in basketball with quick guards. Iverson used to do it A LOT. Roby has gotten several open shots this year doing it. As far as going too far from the pick, I agree with you, however, I think Welmer does a good job of rolling to find an open three, as Loe did so many times.

There are so many opportunities that we miss by not using our screen though with a huge lack of players who are good 1v1