Final A-10 Report Card and post season review

The Wiz

Here is the before and after report card as well as post season placement....Agree or disagree refers to how my system lines up with actually post season happenings....One notch is a normal movement from beginning of the season to the end...eg... A- to B+ or B- to B

Jan 1 2016............................Mar 13 2016

Day.....A-..............................Day...A-.........NCAA......Agree

GW.....A-..............................St. J...A-........NCAA......Agree

VCU...A-...............................VCU...A-........NCAA.....Agree

RI.........B+.............................GW....B+.......NIT.........Agree

Rich.....B+

Ford......B...............................Dav....B.........NIT........Agree

St. J......B................................St.B...B.........NIT........Agree

................................................RI......B.........------.......Disagree

................................................Rich...B........-------.......Disagree

Dav.......B-

St. B......B-

Duq.......C+..............................Duq....C+......CBI.........Disagree

UMass..C+...............................Ford...C+.....-----..........Agree

.................................................UMass..C.....-----........Agree

GM........C-.................................GM......C-.....-----.......Agree

SLU.......D+................................SLU......D+....-----......Agree

LaS........D-.................................LaS.......D......-----.....Agree

I disagree with RI and Rich as i think they were worthy of an NIT pick And even if the NIT felt they met their "A-10 quota" they both should have received CBI bids especially over Duq who shouldn't be going anywhere.

Here is the before and after report card as well as post season placement....Agree or disagree refers to how my system lines up with actually post season happenings....One notch is a normal movement from beginning of the season to the end...eg... A- to B+ or B- to B

Jan 1 2016............................Mar 13 2016

Day.....A-..............................Day...A-.........NCAA......Agree

GW.....A-..............................St. J...A-........NCAA......Agree

VCU...A-...............................VCU...A-........NCAA.....Agree

RI.........B+.............................GW....B+.......NIT.........Agree

Rich.....B+

Ford......B...............................Dav....B.........NIT........Agree

St. J......B................................St.B...B.........NIT........Agree

................................................RI......B.........------.......Disagree

................................................Rich...B........-------.......Disagree

Dav.......B-

St. B......B-

Duq.......C+..............................Duq....C+......CBI.........Disagree

UMass..C+...............................Ford...C+.....-----..........Agree

.................................................UMass..C.....-----........Agree

GM........C-.................................GM......C-.....-----.......Agree

SLU.......D+................................SLU......D+....-----......Agree

LaS........D-.................................LaS.......D......-----.....Agree

I disagree with RI and Rich as i think they were worthy of an NIT pick And even if the NIT felt they met their "A-10 quota" they both should have received CBI bids especially over Duq who shouldn't be going anywhere.

Maybe Rhode Island and Richmond turned down CBI invitations.

Also, Fordham accepted a CIT bid which I did not even know A-10 teams were eligible for. The CBI could not convince any major conference teams to play this year (their bread and butter in the past). Missouri Valley teams seemed to say no thank you as well to CBI/CIT. The CBI as the "third best tourney" is long dead. A bunch of better teams took CIT bids than CBI. Overall the CBI got a lot of western teams (Big Sky represent!) but obviously a lot teams said no. The CBI seems to look for one team to represent certain conferences and then call it quits (Seattle is in the tournament with a lousy record and an RPI of 287!!!)

The CBI has 4 teams in it with worse RPIs than St. Louis. I am picking a decent Ohio Bobcats team to win it all.

Also, Fordham accepted a CIT bid which I did not even know A-10 teams were eligible for. The CBI could not convince any major conference teams to play this year (their bread and butter in the past). Missouri Valley teams seemed to say no thank you as well to CBI/CIT. The CBI as the "third best tourney" is long dead. A bunch of better teams took CIT bids than CBI. Overall the CBI got a lot of western teams (Big Sky represent!) but obviously a lot teams said no. The CBI seems to look for one team to represent certain conferences and then call it quits (Seattle is in the tournament with a lousy record and an RPI of 287!!!)

The CBI has 4 teams in it with worse RPIs than St. Louis. I am picking a decent Ohio Bobcats team to win it all.

Perhaps the Vegas 16 will supplant the CBI and CIT as the preeminent 3rd best postseason tournament....

Perhaps the Vegas 16 will supplant the CBI and CIT as the preeminent 3rd best postseason tournament....

Apparently they have already missed their bracket deadline as they cannot find 16 teams for the tourney. Somebody call SLU.

Well now that there are 3 3rd tier tourneys comprising another 50 teams....the bottom rung has been lowered to C+. ...so I am OK with Duq & Ford getting post season bids...though I still think RI & Rich should have gone somewhere ...but you may be right ...they may have just passed on it.

I decided to run a quick spread on the Vegas tourney since they said they were going for quality rather than quanity....Not sure I would agree with them....

Here is what that tourney field looks like....

Based on the grade this is where teams should have gone..........

1=NIT

2=3rd tier tourney

3= no where

Tenn Tech.....C....3

ODU..............B-...2

NIU................C...3

UCSB............B-..2

Oakland.........B...1

Towson..........C+.2

La Tech.........C+..2

ETSU............C....3

So with a few C's in there , I think they are stretching the word "quality". I think Vegas and the CIT ran out of teams. Kind of humiliating to have a tourney called the Vegas 16 with only 8 teams.

Hmm...still 14 openings in two 3rd tier tourneys....Maybe we could get Crews to come back if they call the Bills for one last shot.

Well now that there are 3 3rd tier tourneys comprising another 50 teams....the bottom rung has been lowered to C+. ...so I am OK with Duq & Ford getting post season bids...though I still think RI & Rich should have gone somewhere ...but you may be right ...they may have just passed on it.

I decided to run a quick spread on the Vegas tourney since they said they were going for quality rather than quanity....Not sure I would agree with them....

Here is what that tourney field looks like....

Based on the grade this is where teams should have gone..........

1=NIT

2=3rd tier tourney

3= no where

Tenn Tech.....C....3

ODU..............B-...2

NIU................C...3

UCSB............B-..2

Oakland.........B...1

Towson..........C+.2

La Tech.........C+..2

ETSU............C....3

So with a few C's in there , I think they are stretching the word "quality". I think Vegas and the CIT ran out of teams. Kind of humiliating to have a tourney called the Vegas 16 with only 8 teams.

Hmm...still 14 openings in two 3rd tier tourneys....Maybe we could get Crews to come back if they call the Bills for one last shot.

As bad as the Vegas 8 was they probably are a bit better than CBI and CIT. All 3 tournaments are a bad deal for the participants (cost money and are essentially meaningless) and I do not think they realized how many would say no. I think it is a good sign that Rhode Island and Richmond said no. It is a terrible sign that Fordham was so desperate they said yes to the CIT. Last year the CBI was desperate and the field was bad but this year was worse.

I am surprised all the big conference teams just said no with defectors. The CBI clearly was desperate to get to 16 teams (at least they got the field they promised even if they had to give Seattle, Eastern Washington, Houston Baptist, and UNC-Greensboro bids ---all teams worse than SLU). I have no idea what they are going to do with 26 teams (do 3 teams get second round byes? and does not that make a complete mockery of fairness)

Vegas 16 ---> Vegas '16 (easy rebrand).

I wish they would all consolidate into one solid third tournament. The CBI was a lot of fun in 2010, but I also like the idea of limiting it to eight teams and putting them in Vegas. If it was really the eight best teams snubbed by the NIT, I would watch regardless of whether my team was in it.

I wish they would all consolidate into one solid third tournament. The CBI was a lot of fun in 2010, but I also like the idea of limiting it to eight teams and putting them in Vegas. If it was really the eight best teams snubbed by the NIT, I would watch regardless of whether my team was in it.

CBI was a lot of fun the year we were in it. Good teams. The VCU vs SLU series was incredible. Shouldnt have been a surprise that VCU wound up going deep after watching those games.

The schools have to pay for games, it keeps the tournament alive but i think the experiment is slowly failing. These have to be a good deal for the schools and the fans as well, not just the tournament organization.

The Vegas '16 had a $50k buy-in.

From the Idaho Statesmen

http://www.idahostatesman.com/sports/college/mountain-west/boise-state-university/extra-points-blog/article66030952.html

Teams that agreed to the Vegas 16 were to pay a $50,000 fee, with airfare and rooms covered by the tournament. The College Basketball Invitational and CollegeInsider.com Tournament have per-game fees to host, or teams must cover travel costs, so each win means more money out.

George Mason students arrested with bomb-making materials in room.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-03-22/george-mason-university-students-arrested-after-bomb-making-materials-found

Guys, I know you lost to Saint Louis twice this year but it's no reason to blow up the school. :ph34r:

George Mason students arrested with bomb-making materials in room.

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/2016-03-22/george-mason-university-students-arrested-after-bomb-making-materials-found

Guys, I know you lost to Saint Louis twice this year but it's no reason to blow up the school. :ph34r:

Paul Hewitt loyalists.