NCAA Field

I guarantee there were more Purdue fans than Butler fans in Indy. Do you realize how small Butler is?

Butler is located a mere 15 minutes from where the game was held. Students were given transportation from the campus according to my friends there, and a ton of students and many local alumni attended. While Purdue is larger, I severely doubt they had more fans there. Even if they did, watching on TV didn't make it seem like they impacted the game at all. It was very loosely a neutral site game for butler.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Butler deserved it more than about 5 or 6 teams in the field. They are not a team anyone should have a problem with compared to some of the teams let in

Yeah I dont get the Butler hating on being in? They has 3 top 25 RPI wins, 4 in the top 50. They also had zero "bad" losses.

Bona definitely got screwed but it wasnt bc Butler got in. Having 2 sub 150 losses to Duquesne and Lasalle I;m sure hurt pretty bad too.

In a previous world, Butler, with its RPI of 57, would be NIT bound.

You are focusing way to much on the RPI. That might be true in a previous world but the committee has stated they are looking at other measures as well, the RPI is a piece but not the end all be all. Especially just looking solely at a teams overall RPI.

Not to mention I am seeing Butler at 56 in RPI and 4 teams below them in the RPI who got in:

Michigan, Tulsa, Temple, Vandy.

Not sure what your obsession with Butler is?

I don't think Bay Area is coming off as obsessive over Butler. Merely listing facts.

Not to mention I am seeing Butler at 56 in RPI and 4 teams below them in the RPI who got in:

Michigan, Tulsa, Temple, Vandy.

Not sure what your obsession with Butler is?

No less than 6 teams below the RPI cut-off line were gifted with NCAA at large bids, with Butler being one of them. Also my above analysis was based upon the RPI yesterday at rpiforecast.com, which for some reason is slightly different from what the NCAA put out today. That's how Butler was 57 at rpiforecast.com, but 56 at the NCAA official version. But the conclusion is the same.

The real travesty is Syracuse at RPI 71 per the NCAA's RPI getting an at large bid. And I'm not obsessed with Syracuse either, just stating an observation. Add to that Syracuse's coach missing 9 games serving a suspension from the NCAA Infractions Committee. That is not an excuse or mitigation, although the coach tried to make it one. In a normal world that suspension would be an aggravating circumstance.

I'd have to research it, but Syracuse is close to the worst RPI to ever get an at large bid. By memory, the worst RPI to get an at large was then 74 Air Force, but that was during a time of national strife, the Patriotism exception.

You are focusing way to much on the RPI. That might be true in a previous world but the committee has stated they are looking at other measures as well, the RPI is a piece but not the end all be all. Especially just looking solely at a teams overall RPI.

The committee says a whole lot of things to justify its ad hoc approach.

Bagdhad Bob would have been as effective a spokesman as Joe Castiglione. "The Americans are not in Baghdad," as American tanks were rolling by in the background.

In the past, the committee claimed a lot of things about what it looked at, and then the real field would have about 3 variances per season from the RPI.

This season, the NCAA field has 6 variances from the RPI.

That is a substantial jump.

Also, these alleged criteria cited against various snubbed teams are evidently not factors against the Chosen 6 that were allowed in. For instance, Castiglione cited Monmouth losing to sub-200 teams. Well, so did Syracuse, which lost to a horrendous St. John's team (RPI 246).

St. Mary's gets ripped for not playing on the road (even though St. Mary's did play at Cal). Butler played all of one (1) non-conference road game, uno.

Also, these alleged criteria cited against various snubbed teams are evidently not factors against the Chosen 6 that were allowed in. For instance, Castiglione cited Monmouth losing to sub-200 teams. Well, so did Syracuse, which lost to a horrendous St. John's team (RPI 246).

St. Mary's gets ripped for not playing on the road (even though St. Mary's did play at Cal). Butler played all of one (1) non-conference road game, uno.

Right, consistently inconsistent. Don't worry about the facts, just eat this spoonful of bullsh*t I am feeding you.

Here's the real criterion:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/sports/ncaa-money/

When a single NCAA unit, just for playing 1 NCAA Tournament game is worth $1.67M, payable over 6 years, the importance of receiving an NCAA Tournament bid is self-evident, as are the reasons the Power 5 (+1) is protecting its turf.

In 2016, each of the Top 4 of the Power 5 conferences received seven (7) NCAA Tournament bids.

The committee says a whole lot of things to justify its ad hoc approach.

They said that in previous years. I wasnt talking about after the fact. I know Kenpom is one thing they also consider, among others I am sure, and Bona was #79 in KenPom. Butler was 40. Temple was the worst KenPom ranked team to get an at large at #86.

I dont pretend to completely understand KenPom rankings and how that all works, I know it takes a lot of different factors into account, and by most opinions is a way better measure than the RPI.