Duq over the Bills by 3

Another painful though not unexpected loss at Rich. While it is always interesting to review the post game numbers to see how we could have won....the more interesting post in the "Rich over the Buills by 17 " thread is post #8 which talks about why things may not be as dire as some think.

On to the A-10 tourney...

We definitely have a chance to be the spoiler starting with this game....

First, let's look at the numbers

........................................#'s to win

Offense

Slashline..........................43/ 33/ 69

Assists..............................12

Tot Reb.............................37

Blks....................................4

TO......................................13

Pts .....................................61

Def

FG%...................................43

3pt%...................................33

FGM....................................22

Tot Reb (Duq).....................31

Mason..................................10pts

Colter...................................11pts

Bottomline.............Key to the game will be to stop Colter and Mason . Colter is 27th and Mason is 37th in the nation in 3pt%. Stop them and we win. Don't stop them and it will be wait till next year.

Another painful though not unexpected loss at Rich. While it is always interesting to review the post game numbers to see how we could have won....the more interesting post in the "Rich over the Buills by 17 " thread is post #8 which talks about why things may not be as dire as some think.

On to the A-10 tourney...

We definitely have a chance to be the spoiler starting with this game....

First, let's look at the numbers

........................................#'s to win

Offense

Slashline..........................43/ 33/ 69

Assists..............................12

Tot Reb.............................37

Blks....................................4

TO......................................13

Pts .....................................61

Def

FG%...................................43

3pt%...................................33

FGM....................................22

Tot Reb (Duq).....................31

Mason..................................10pts

Colter...................................11pts

Bottomline.............Key to the game will be to stop Colter and Mason . Colter is 27th and Mason is 37th in the nation in 3pt%. Stop them and we win. Don't stop them and it will be wait till next year.

One last time.......

We should not only have won this game but won it in a blowout.

Let's look at the numbers..........

...................................#'s to win .....................actual #s

Offense

FG%...............................43.................................30.4........Double fail....missed 9 extra shots =18Pts

3pt%................................33.................................34.5%....Pass

FT%.................................69..................................50..........Fail.....left 2pts on the table

Assists.............................12...................................14.........Pass

Tot Reb............................37...................................37........Pass...Direct hit....excellent because I pushed this number up

Blks (on Duq)...................4......................................2.........fail (I should have put this under Def)

TO....................................13....................................8.........Double pass...excellent

Pts....................................61....................................55.......Fail...see missed baskets above (FG%)

Defense

FG%................................43.....................................44.2%.....Fail...not bad ...missed by 1 basket= 2pts

FGM.................................22....................................23...........fail...see FG% above for that same extra basket

3pt%.................................33.....................................31.6%....pass...excellent

Tot reb..............................31.....................................48..........double fail.....way to high

Mason...............................10pts................................19 .........double fail

Colter.................................11pts................................14..........fail

Overall, not a bad job on Defense...they gave up an extra 2 pts.. And while they gave up way too many rebounds that is not what lost it for us. Dismal shooting (2pt shooting) is what did us in . ..18pts (2pt shooting) + 2pts (FT) + 2pts (an extra basket on D) = 22pts means we should have had an easy 16 point win. We took an extra 17 shots and made 2 LESS than Duq. Since we did OK on the 3pt shooting the blame falls on the 2...we shot 11-40 (27.5%)...terrible ...less than our 3pt%.

Bottomline.......Wait till next year

12 Duquesne blocked shots took their toll on SLU's 2-point Field Goal percentage.

You are correct. But 12 is still too many. We should have made adjustments. Duq is a below average blocking team ... 3.3 /gm...just 1 more than us. Texas, #1 in blocks, averages 7.9 /gm....12 is unacceptable

In rebounds, even though Duq is a decent rebounding team they had an extra 1/3 more in rebounds. Quinnipiac is #1 in the nation in rebounding at 45.4/gm....Duq had 48...again unacceptable

FG% ...the Bills wound up at 30.4%....San Jose St the worst shooting team in the nation averages 35,5%/gm. ..again unacceptable.

On a positive note, in an area where we have struggled , we had only 8 TO ...Wisc leads the nation at 7.6/gm....so that was encouraging

Bottomline...This was just one game (which is what this thread is about)...I am working on some numbers of what we need to do for next year. I will post those when I finish them....The good news is we are not that far off from being a B team.

You are correct. But 12 is still too many. We should have made adjustments. Duq is a below average blocking team ... 3.3 /gm...just 1 more than us. Texas, #1 in blocks, averages 7.9 /gm....12 is unacceptable

In rebounds, even though Duq is a decent rebounding team they had an extra 1/3 more in rebounds. Quinnipiac is #1 in the nation in rebounding at 45.4/gm....Duq had 48...again unacceptable

FG% ...the Bills wound up at 30.4%....San Jose St the worst shooting team in the nation averages 35,5%/gm. ..again unacceptable.

On a positive note, in an area where we have struggled , we had only 8 TO ...Wisc leads the nation at 7.6/gm....so that was encouraging

Bottomline...This was just one game (which is what this thread is about)...I am working on some numbers of what we need to do for next year. I will post those when I finish them....The good news is we are not that far off from being a B team.

-I really appreciate your contributions and the threads on what you see as the keys to the game and the optimism but until we know what the roster looks like I'm not sure what looking at next year in detail accomplishes

-I really appreciate your contributions and the threads on what you see as the keys to the game and the optimism but until we know what the roster looks like I'm not sure what looking at next year in detail accomplishes

I will look at it from a numbers point of view....what we need to improve on and how much to get to where we need to be....regardless of who is on the team. As a D- team with an 11-21 record it looks daunting but I think we can be a B team next year and it won't be a long stretch. Now if you think the entire team is leaving ( which I don't) then that's another story. I should have the analysis done by tomorrow night. I think it will be interesting.