early saturday rambling roy in all lower case, no initials, who couldn’t care less about spelling and grammar errors.

billiken_roy

I think it would be nice if Roy would shorten the title of his thread and make each one unique. A rambling post is one thing, but a rambling and repeated title makes it difficult to figure out which thread is up for review, particularly when the same title appears more than once on the first page of posts.

"Through the eyes of Billiken Roy, Vol. 100, Issue 17" would offer clarity, and a date would make it even clearer.

I might even be willing to take out an ad in that "publication." Well, except that I highly doubt the intended audience for the publication (Billikens fans) overlaps very much with my target market.

Can't you determine the date by looking at the "started by billiken_roy , (Month Day Year Time)" line?

those of you that havent seen jayson tatum play. please go. from a high school basketball standpoint it is historic. When you consider the full package, i say he is the best local high school player i have ever seen. was beal a better outside shooter? maybe, but tatum can go inside. was darius miles a better inside player and more explosive? maybe, but tatum can shoot outside. he can pass, he plays defense. he makes free throws. he is the real deal.

It can be difficult to compare players especially guys who play different positions as is the case with comparing Tatum to Beal and Miles. Fortunately I have had the chance to watch a lot of Beal and Tatum in high school. The only thing I would disagree with is your characterization of Tatum playing defense. He does not play much defense at this point. Tatum and Beal are definitely different players. Beal was an elite shooter who matured into a big time strong athlete. Beal was ultra-competitive and essentially did it all for a Chaminade team that lacked size. He was more in attack mode then I see with Tatum, but that may change once Tatum gets stronger. Tatum on the other hand has just an incredibly developed offensive game that truly is pro ready. I am not sure I have ever seen a high school player with that type of skill. I am not sure who a good comparison is. I have seen Durant and Dirk from some and taller pgs like Livingston and Kyle Anderson from others. The kid is special and is going to be even more special once he adds strength to his long frame. At this point, in the half court Tatum does most of his damage with NBA quality perimeter moves and shots from distance, but does not attack the rim nearly as much as a guy like Beal did in high school. That may be a function of Cook being in the middle or his lack of strength, but using his length to score in the lane at the rim is one thing I would like to see him do more. It is scary to think that he is only a junior who has not physically matured. So I would say Beal was the better shooter, athlete, defender, and more competitive, but Tatum has better length, is a better rebounder, and has skill that is at a whole different level giving him an all-around offensive game that can't be matched by many. Just different players, but both special talents. I don't know, I guess Beal was more of an elite scorer, while Jayson is more of an elite all around offensive talent.

I don't remember Beal being a great defender, but he worked a little harder at it than Tatum. Funny how defense has been a relatively weak spot for the CCP grads - Lee, Beal, and now Tatum. It was never a strong suit for Kelvin Lee or Billy Donovan teams (at least not until more recently for Donovan).

I don't remember Beal being a great defender, but he worked a little harder at it than Tatum. Funny how defense has been a relatively weak spot for the CCP grads - Lee, Beal, and now Tatum. It was never a strong suit for Kelvin Lee or Billy Donovan teams (at least not until more recently for Donovan).

I didn't think Beal was a great defender, but definitely gave more effort defensively than Tatum. He had the attributes to be a really good defensive guard (strong and athletic), but due to the roster at CCP at the time, was not typically guarding opposing shooting guards. Tatum kind of dogs it on defense, but I think part of that is a function of him being able to with the players around him. Beal kind of had to do it all for his teams which often included being the primary rebounder and presense in the lane defensively.

Hopefully Tatum sees a similar transformation in his body as Beal. I don't remember what year it was, but from one season to the next Beal went from looking athletic to looking like a NBA player on a high school court with his strength. He got really strong one summer. I don't remember Beal ever being as skinny as Tatum though.