Big East Financials

Adman

Suppose for a second NBE is ready to expand for 2014-15, either to 12 (if they can agree on a 12th) or to just 11. Either way, the Bills are invited. Hypothetical only.

Anyone know the financial implications for SLU? As I recall when the NBE was forming, there were exit fees due if A-10 resignation was not done by July 1. $1M, correct? Plus, we lose a certain number of the NCAA tourney credits. I'm a bit fuzzy on the specifics. But regardless, a lot of money.

Now that we're ready to begin year 3 of NCAA tourney credits - and reasonable chance to go even deeper this year -- is the amount of money we'd possibly be leaving on the A-10 table even greater? Harder to FOX1 to find ways to make SLU whole? Is the July 1 date still in play for 2014-15?

Any wizards (financial or otherwise!) who know these answers or have done a break-even analysis in NBE?

While getting the invite is of course the hardest (and first) order of business, wondering if it is getting harder for SLU to say yes (and FOX1 to help) if invited.

Suppose for a second NBE is ready to expand for 2014-15, either to 12 (if they can agree on a 12th) or to just 11. Either way, the Bills are invited. Hypothetical only.

Anyone know the financial implications for SLU? As I recall when the NBE was forming, there were exit fees due if A-10 resignation was not done by July 1. $1M, correct? Plus, we lose a certain number of the NCAA tourney credits. I'm a bit fuzzy on the specifics. But regardless, a lot of money.

Now that we're ready to begin year 3 of NCAA tourney credits - and reasonable chance to go even deeper this year -- is the amount of money we'd possibly be leaving on the A-10 table even greater? Harder to FOX1 to find ways to make SLU whole? Is the July 1 date still in play for 2014-15?

Any wizards (financial or otherwise!) who know these answers or have done a break-even analysis in NBE?

While getting the invite is of course the hardest (and first) order of business, wondering if it is getting harder for SLU to say yes (and FOX1 to help) if invited.

2M to the A-10, forfeiture of all tournament credits.

In other words, no reason whatsoever to not go if there's an invite granted.

2M to the A-10, forfeiture of all tournament credits.

In other words, no reason whatsoever to not go if there's an invite granted.

If I recall correctly, the $2M becomes $1M with a year notice (July.) So $1M would only apply to an invite for 2015-16 season. Otherwise $2M for this fall.

Xavier gave up far more NCAA credits then we would have to and they knew enough to go.

Any sense of the numbers? Value of the credits + $2M (or $1M)?

Likely NBE revenue scenarios? (Presuming no forfeiture of revenue sharing and SLU gets in tourney 2 of next 3 years, for example?

Likely NBE revenue scenarios? (Presuming no forfeiture of revenue sharing and SLU gets in tourney 2 of next 3 years, for example?

By the way, not doubting at all NBE is the right decision! Just curious what the numbers scenarios look like -- how FOX1 might be tempted to sweeten pie.

Roughly $1,000,000 for 4 years and $500,00 for the fifth year. PLUS this years money, roughly $250,000 per game for 6 years.

If we stay in the A10 and if we lose our first NCAA game this year, how much money/credits do we receive and for how many years now that this is our third year in a row. I would accept any Big East invite but just want to know what we would be giving up.

If we stay in the A10 and if we lose our first NCAA game this year, how much money/credits do we receive and for how many years now that this is our third year in a row. I would accept any Big East invite but just want to know what we would be giving up.

See SLU 72 fans post above

$500,000 for 4 years for the first appearance

$500,000 for 5 years for last years appearance

$250,000 fo 6 years for this year assuming 1 game (an additional $250,000 per year for each additional game played)

$6,000,000 assuming 1 game in 2014.

Thank you Slu72 fan, this gives a valid base to evaluate how much Big East would have to offer us to make a change profitable for SLU, from a monetary basis only that is. I do realize there are other advantages, non financial, involved as well.

$500,000 for 4 years for the first appearance

$500,000 for 5 years for last years appearance

$250,000 fo 6 years for this year assuming 1 game (an additional $250,000 per year for each additional game played)

$6,000,000 assuming 1 game in 2014.

Thanks for the info, guys.

Now to determine revenue. I've heard the $$ are not guaranteed; may be risk sharing with Fox -- both in ratings and number of teams yearly in NCAA tourney. May be more risk or at least a long number of years to break even -- that's if all schools share revenue equally which is debatable.

I still like the NBE for all the obvious reasons but may be more difficult than I thought. Maybe there are others who know specifics of Xavier, Creighton and Butler deals and how FOX deal is structured...

As has been well stated by others, the best thing for expansion of the BE and the schools which might be added such as SLU, is for the big heads and egos to be brought back to reality -- CBI instead of NCAA!! GTown and Marquette missing the Tourney is huge. Keep in mind, all just rumors, but expansion talk had been all about the founding 10 BE schools exploiting the new expansion teams with high buy ins, with non-sharing of the leftover football money form the Beast, with unequal revenue sharing... and with attitudes. A lot of pompous talk from mediocre teams: Marquette (17-14 and 9-9) and GTown (17-13 and 8-10) !! BE with 3 Tourney teams (of which 2 are from the A10 and Valley) compared to the "lesser" A10 with 4 to 6 teams.

Fully agree with you Clock, from a financial point of view there is no point in joining a conference with high buy ins, and unequal revenue sharing from the conference, particularly when teams like DePaul would be getting a bigger share of the revenue than the late expansion teams. If Georgetown and Marquette suffer from inflated egos, they should eat some humble pie before they expand their conference. The question here is the role Fox will play in this process.

There was ZERO talk of unequal shares or buy ins when the new big east amongst the schools. That was rumor repeated as truth.

5 million dollars from Fox plus equal share of NCAA credits makes joining the big east a financial slam dunk. It isn't even close.

But it was posted on message boards on the internet so it has to be true.

Well then, this becomes a must find out item. This will not remain secret speculation if we receive an invite to join Big East. The terms of our membership in the new conference will have to be stipulated in great detail in any sort of agreement reached with them.

Well then, this becomes a must find out item. This will not remain secret speculation if we receive an invite to join Big East. The terms of our membership in the new conference will have to be stipulated in great detail in any sort of agreement reached with them.

Considering the current BE is all private schools and they are under no obligation to report this number, it really should be called a "difficult to find out item." Tons of numbers have been floated around on the internet but who knows what the truth it. Obviously, SLU or any other school that the BE approaches will get to know those numbers but even if we joined tomorrow, I doubt Chris May is going to have a press conference where he tells the world how much t.v. revenue we should expect.

Just trust that its more than a enough to cover the lost NCAA credits within a few years time and that long-term it absolutely makes financial sense to join the BE, if asked.