Intriguing

Biedscheid transfer? Not based on this recap from the Chicago Tribune:

Irish mop up Miami of Ohio 74-62 in opener

SOUTH BEND, Ind. — Notre Dame is allergic to the term "redshirt."

The Irish don't redshirt players. Instead, the athletes sit out to "preserve a year of eligibility" or go on "five-year programs." And they must receive approval from the school's faculty board on athletics before playing that fifth season.

Even though there were a bunch of players in red shirts on the floor Friday night playing for Miami of Ohio in the Irish's 74-62 season-opening victory, the most noticeable one might as well have been on Notre Dame's bench wearing a blue-trimmed white polo.

Sophomore forward Cameron Biedscheid, a promising recruit who last year struggled to gain traction in a rocky freshman campaign, will sit out this season, the Irish announced, ending a mystery that began when Biedscheid sat out Notre Dame's first exhibition Oct. 28.

But that resolution raised more questions. Why would Biedscheid choose to do this? Is he unhappy and considering transferring?

As for the latter part of the question, Biedscheid said he hasn't considered it.

"Right now, I'm sticking to the five-year program," Biedscheid said. "I wasn't thinking about leaving or anything like that."

As for why he would choose to sit out, Biedscheid said he found some reasons after consulting teammates Tom Knight and Jerian Grant, who scored a career-high 26 points Friday. Knight and Grant each sat out their first seasons in the program.

"I let them weigh in to see what the five-year program was like," Biedscheid said. "I talked to (Grant) for a pretty long time one weekend and he was telling me how it really benefited his game and academics. That really pushed me to make the decision."

There is a recent precedent of a Notre Dame player sitting his second season while healthy and then blossoming in his third year. Tim Abromaitis sat out as a sophomore before breaking out in a big way his junior year when he averaged 16.1 points per game in 2009-10.

Biedscheid appeared lost in the mix during his freshman season after coming in with high expectations as the 28th overall prospect in the Class of 2012, according to Rivals.com. He shot just 36 percent from the floor while averaging 6.2 points per game. Part of Notre Dame's hopes this season hinged on Biedscheid fulfilling the promise he showed before arriving. Now, that will take a little longer.

"People are in such a hurry sometimes to say, 'He has to get there,'" coach Mike Brey said. "One thing we have done here is we have slowed it down sometimes with some guys. We got them there. It was best to slow it down a little bit. I think he sees a route."

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Biedscheid transfer? Not based on this recap from the Chicago Tribune:

Irish mop up Miami of Ohio 74-62 in opener

SOUTH BEND, Ind. Notre Dame is allergic to the term "redshirt."

The Irish don't redshirt players. Instead, the athletes sit out to "preserve a year of eligibility" or go on "five-year programs." And they must receive approval from the school's faculty board on athletics before playing that fifth season.

Even though there were a bunch of players in red shirts on the floor Friday night playing for Miami of Ohio in the Irish's 74-62 season-opening victory, the most noticeable one might as well have been on Notre Dame's bench wearing a blue-trimmed white polo.

Sophomore forward Cameron Biedscheid, a promising recruit who last year struggled to gain traction in a rocky freshman campaign, will sit out this season, the Irish announced, ending a mystery that began when Biedscheid sat out Notre Dame's first exhibition Oct. 28.

But that resolution raised more questions. Why would Biedscheid choose to do this? Is he unhappy and considering transferring?

As for the latter part of the question, Biedscheid said he hasn't considered it.

"Right now, I'm sticking to the five-year program," Biedscheid said. "I wasn't thinking about leaving or anything like that."

As for why he would choose to sit out, Biedscheid said he found some reasons after consulting teammates Tom Knight and Jerian Grant, who scored a career-high 26 points Friday. Knight and Grant each sat out their first seasons in the program.

"I let them weigh in to see what the five-year program was like," Biedscheid said. "I talked to (Grant) for a pretty long time one weekend and he was telling me how it really benefited his game and academics. That really pushed me to make the decision."

There is a recent precedent of a Notre Dame player sitting his second season while healthy and then blossoming in his third year. Tim Abromaitis sat out as a sophomore before breaking out in a big way his junior year when he averaged 16.1 points per game in 2009-10.

Biedscheid appeared lost in the mix during his freshman season after coming in with high expectations as the 28th overall prospect in the Class of 2012, according to Rivals.com. He shot just 36 percent from the floor while averaging 6.2 points per game. Part of Notre Dame's hopes this season hinged on Biedscheid fulfilling the promise he showed before arriving. Now, that will take a little longer.

"People are in such a hurry sometimes to say, 'He has to get there,'" coach Mike Brey said. "One thing we have done here is we have slowed it down sometimes with some guys. We got them there. It was best to slow it down a little bit. I think he sees a route."

I guess that settles it. CB was answered a question about whether he was thinking of transferring and he told the media no. Nothing else to see here!

Kind of reminds me when an athletic director gets asked about conference affiliation...