OT: NBA Career 4-point Play Leader...

jimbofive

Miller and Allen are catch and shoot guys, coming off screens to get open looks. Crawford shoots off the dribble way more than they do and nobody is setting screens for him. Miller and Allen didn't want contact when they are shooting, a guy like Crawford looks for it. Crawford once said he never practices shooting ever, only during warmups before the game or in seasons practices when they make him. Allen and Miller spent their lives shooting 1000 jumpers every day.

Doesn't surprise me. Jamal Crawford is a very strange player. Overrated by prognosticators and by his peers. He's an anomaly within the game. Doesn't mean he is especially great. He possesses a rare combination of traits that usually result in a much shorter career and significant time spent on really bad teams. He'll probably play well into his late 30s or even 40 whereas pre expansion he would have been bounced out of the league in 4 or 5 years.

What in the world are you talking about. Most people would agree that 13 year NBA career and over $74 million in salary made to date is a successful NBA career. That $5+ million he makes this year in his 14th season is an anomaly too...right? He is no Reggie Miller but he is worth the price tag is being paid.

Jamal Crawford = Top 10 Crossover EVER!

I have argued this with many people many a time, and have won many over to my camp. I will say, to some extent, and depends on what you define as a "crossover." If Jamal's patented between the legs "crossover" constitutes a crossover in your book, then for sure Jamal cracks the crossover Top 10. Of course, Allen Iverson tops the list.

I see a couple of you have fallen for Crawford's game. Mind you I'm not saying he is horrible. He had a good year last year, and played within himself. I give that credit mostly due to playing with Paul. He makes everyone their best. Crawford is horribly overrated. Considered a borderline all star when his stats point to him being usually slightly above average for his career.

Crawford's game is a perfect storm. He has been forced to play the point a lot and his assist numbers bear that out. So no one complains that the ball in his hands all the time, and most of the time the possession ends with him shooting. Probably why he's not a full time point guard, or when he has been the teams have been horrible. He's never played on a good team, the clippers last year being the best team he has been on. Great team oriented players don't get traded 3 times in their prime for nothing. 6th man of the year winners don't get let go by their teams and are forced to sign mid range clause contracts with the Portland Trailblazers. What he gets paid means nothing as Isiah Thomas gave him his big contract. He gets paid below the league average because that is what he is worth.

Let's look at his stats. Look at his PER's, in a good year for him, his PER was 16.8. Slightly above average. He's played years where his PER was below league average, yet he still takes 15 shots a game and plays 30 minutes. His EFG% was .511 last year, 3rd highest of his career. That's middling in the NBA especially for someone who shoots so well from the line and takes that many 3s. Yet that is a good year for him. His Asst % is high for a small forward, low for a Point. But he plays the point a lot of the time. His win shares for offense are average, defense well below. His win shares per 48 are well below average.

Crawford career PER 15.4 League Average is 15

Crawford career Wins Shares/48 0.77 League Average 1.00

The last 10 6th Man of the year award winners Crawford's season ranks 7th among them. Yet he gets a huge amount of credit for being a super sub. The guys that are lower than him are the 1 dimensional gunners, Ben Gordon & Jr Smith, and shorter better shooting version of Crawford, Jason Terry. Frankly I'd rather have the 1 dimensional gunner. You know what he is going to do, shoot the ball. Crawford is a wild card on the floor, he hurts you as much as he helps. Maybe like Terry did, he's starting to figure out how to help his team win rather than get his next contract. For now Crawford is closer to Corey Maggette than Vinny Johnson or Ricky Pierce. He's a top 125 player in the league, not a top 50.

I see a couple of you have fallen for Crawford's game. Mind you I'm not saying he is horrible. He had a good year last year, and played within himself. I give that credit mostly due to playing with Paul. He makes everyone their best. Crawford is horribly overrated. Considered a borderline all star when his stats point to him being usually slightly above average for his career.

Crawford's game is a perfect storm. He has been forced to play the point a lot and his assist numbers bear that out. So no one complains that the ball in his hands all the time, and most of the time the possession ends with him shooting. Probably why he's not a full time point guard, or when he has been the teams have been horrible. He's never played on a good team, the clippers last year being the best team he has been on. Great team oriented players don't get traded 3 times in their prime for nothing. 6th man of the year winners don't get let go by their teams and are forced to sign mid range clause contracts with the Portland Trailblazers. What he gets paid means nothing as Isiah Thomas gave him his big contract. He gets paid below the league average because that is what he is worth.

Let's look at his stats. Look at his PER's, in a good year for him, his PER was 16.8. Slightly above average. He's played years where his PER was below league average, yet he still takes 15 shots a game and plays 30 minutes. His EFG% was .511 last year, 3rd highest of his career. That's middling in the NBA especially for someone who shoots so well from the line and takes that many 3s. Yet that is a good year for him. His Asst % is high for a small forward, low for a Point. But he plays the point a lot of the time. His win shares for offense are average, defense well below. His win shares per 48 are well below average.

Crawford career PER 15.4 League Average is 15

Crawford career Wins Shares/48 0.77 League Average 1.00

The last 10 6th Man of the year award winners Crawford's season ranks 7th among them. Yet he gets a huge amount of credit for being a super sub. The guys that are lower than him are the 1 dimensional gunners, Ben Gordon & Jr Smith, and shorter better shooting version of Crawford, Jason Terry. Frankly I'd rather have the 1 dimensional gunner. You know what he is going to do, shoot the ball. Crawford is a wild card on the floor, he hurts you as much as he helps. Maybe like Terry did, he's starting to figure out how to help his team win rather than get his next contract. For now Crawford is closer to Corey Maggette than Vinny Johnson or Ricky Pierce. He's a top 125 player in the league, not a top 50.

I agree with you that he's nothing special, but he's definitely got talent in spurts. That said, I'd also take issue with him being labeled "overrated". Sure, if people are calling him an all-star caliber player, he's overrated, but I've never talked to anyone who's given him that label. Maybe you need to talk to more people who have a clue who currently plays in the NBA. Clearly anyone who thinks he's near all-star level needs to get their head examined. At this point in his career I'd say he's pretty appropriately rated.