ESPN article on Crews

Jim Crews, Saint Louis Billikens

I think Crews will have a breakout sophomore season because I really likeDwayne Evans' chances to have a breakout senior season. Evans plays much larger than his listed height of 6-foot-5 would suggest. He crashes the glass at both ends of the floor, makes no less than 57 percent of his 2s, and hits better than 75 percent of his free throws.

And that's just for starters. I'll go even further. If you're looking for a quick-and-dirty thumbnail of what Saint Louis could be in 2013-14, you could do worse than Wichita State last season. Like the Shockers in 2011-12, the Billikens last season were much better than a lot of people realized, but lost earlier than expected in the NCAA tournament anyway. (Recall that in the 2012 tournament, Wichita State lost in the round of 64 to Virginia Commonwealth.) And, like Gregg Marshall's team, SLU may be merely about as good as it was the previous season, but may achieve a much better result in the field of 68.

True, Crews will have to replace Kwamain Mitchell and key reserve Cody Ellis, but Evans,Mike McCall, Rob Loe and Jordair Jett are all back for another go. In fact, Crews is apparently so confident in his personnel that he told redshirt freshman Jared Drew that there was no further need for the young man's services.

That's a tough break for Drew (not to mention a somewhat unseemly visual coming from Crews), but the level of returning talent is good news for Billiken fans. SLU had far and away the best defense in the Atlantic 10 last season, one that held conference opponents to just 0.92 points per possession. Stretching back to the tenure of Rick Majerus, playing Saint Louis has always been an ordeal for opposing offenses. That ordeal will continue unabated in Crews' sophomore campaign, and the Billikens will be a threat to reach their first Sweet 16 since (yes, this really is correct) 1957. Talk about a breakout.

Thanks SLU_PT. I do not like the fact that the author linked back to the Drew article. I was hoping that would fade away into oblivion.

Yeah the comments on there are damning, as well.

Dustin McGuire's parents wrote a big long comment about how RM forced him out.

Yeah the comments on there are damning, as well.

Dustin McGuire's parents wrote a big long comment about how RM forced him out.

I tried to fight the good fight in the comments for a little bit, but I realized it was hopeless and I should just ignore it so the post did not receive any more attention.

We've already been over this on the board, but it is total BS that this ESPN guy singles out SLU for something almost all Division I teams are guilty of and as it turns out his reasoning singling out SLU is probably not even accurate.

My favorite comment is probably the last on by the guy with a user name "tiger" who says he was a SLU fan, but won't be anymore after reading this article. First off, I have a hard time believing this "tiger" fan was really ever a SLU fan and if he was and a one-sided article changes in mind then he is an idiot.

Jim Crews, Saint Louis Billikens

I think Crews will have a breakout sophomore season because I really likeDwayne Evans' chances to have a breakout senior season. Evans plays much larger than his listed height of 6-foot-5 would suggest. He crashes the glass at both ends of the floor, makes no less than 57 percent of his 2s, and hits better than 75 percent of his free throws.

And that's just for starters. I'll go even further. If you're looking for a quick-and-dirty thumbnail of what Saint Louis could be in 2013-14, you could do worse than Wichita State last season. Like the Shockers in 2011-12, the Billikens last season were much better than a lot of people realized, but lost earlier than expected in the NCAA tournament anyway. (Recall that in the 2012 tournament, Wichita State lost in the round of 64 to Virginia Commonwealth.) And, like Gregg Marshall's team, SLU may be merely about as good as it was the previous season, but may achieve a much better result in the field of 68.

True, Crews will have to replace Kwamain Mitchell and key reserve Cody Ellis, but Evans,Mike McCall, Rob Loe and Jordair Jett are all back for another go. In fact, Crews is apparently so confident in his personnel that he told redshirt freshman Jared Drew that there was no further need for the young man's services.

That's a tough break for Drew (not to mention a somewhat unseemly visual coming from Crews), but the level of returning talent is good news for Billiken fans. SLU had far and away the best defense in the Atlantic 10 last season, one that held conference opponents to just 0.92 points per possession. Stretching back to the tenure of Rick Majerus, playing Saint Louis has always been an ordeal for opposing offenses. That ordeal will continue unabated in Crews' sophomore campaign, and the Billikens will be a threat to reach their first Sweet 16 since (yes, this really is correct) 1957. Talk about a breakout.

Evans is going to have a breakout season? I thought this was his breakout season. He was first team all-conference.