New Big East Press Conference

TRN

New story tonight from the Washington Post -

"The new league, orchestrated by the seven members of the existing Big East that don’t compete in big-time football — DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John’s, Seton Hall and Villanova — will debut as a 10-team conference on July 1 and plans to expand to 12 teams in subsequent years."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/new-big-east-prepared-to-make-its-formal-introduction/2013/03/19/7f0d341c-90ea-11e2-bdea-e32ad90da239_story.html

It should be noted that in the first paragraph of the story, it is stated that the deal will be worth $600 million. That pretty much guarantees that they will move to the 12 team conference ASAP. And if it is true that the A-10 will F over SLU and Dayton by telling them that they can't compete for the conference title in 2013-14 if they plan on making the move in 2014-15, then I don't see how they don't play in the Big East next season.

It should be noted that in the first paragraph of the story, it is stated that the deal will be worth $600 million. That pretty much guarantees that they will move to the 12 team conference ASAP. And if it is true that the A-10 will F over SLU and Dayton by telling them that they can't compete for the conference title in 2013-14 if they plan on making the move in 2014-15, then I don't see how they don't play in the Big East next season.

I 100% agree with everything you just said. Especially your last sentence. I don't think the A-10 would do that (they didn't with Temple/Charlotte), but if it went down that way I think you're right.

New story tonight from the Washington Post -

"The new league, orchestrated by the seven members of the existing Big East that don’t compete in big-time football — DePaul, Georgetown, Marquette, Providence, St. John’s, Seton Hall and Villanova — will debut as a 10-team conference on July 1 and plans to expand to 12 teams in subsequent years."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/colleges/new-big-east-prepared-to-make-its-formal-introduction/2013/03/19/7f0d341c-90ea-11e2-bdea-e32ad90da239_story.html

More importantly, the $600 million figure quoted in the article is what was rumored for a 12 team league -- not the $500 million rumored for a 10 team league. If Fox is signing a 12 year contract and is to pay $600 million, then this league will be going to 12 teams sooner than later. Legal wranglings and conference detanglements will take time. This is not some after thought or desire by some that we might (or might not) go to 12 teams sometime.