SLU soccer exh

SLUBALLS

Watched most of the game today while with my one year old out at Hermann. McGinty got a lot of guys on the field for playing time. Lots of new faces. Hard to remember all my observations but I will try:

First half saw shack in goal, freshman from Tulsa at right back, manning and new DeSmet kid at center, and lee on left. Bryce was out wide, new kid from Monteverdi academy and Robson in middle, mags out on left, Hidalgo and Kristo top. Lee was very dangerous coming out of the back and defended well. Manning and bryce look bigger. Kristo was getting to dangerous positions but having trouble with final touch or finish. Shack wasn't really tested. Lots of ball movement through the back. Few long balls forward, mainly playing to feet. But first goal i believe did come from long ball in to Kristo.

Second half, lots of new kids. The fast kid from Monteverdi was up top and reminds me of Charlie Davies before he got hurt; speed is elite but touch catching up. Kyle Patterson-esque. The irish kid -Graydon - is not big but plays the ball very quickly from center mid. He had a no look pass to streaking player down right near the beginning of the game. Always showing for the ball, very active on it. Right back and one center back, both from Germany. Right back looked really good and fast. No one else really stood out. Sweetin did play with this group. Looked good but tried too much and held on to the ball too long multiple times.

Asked shack who of the new guys were legit and he said Graydon, the fast forward, and the German right back.a. Asked Adnan if he was going in but he said he got in trouble over his fitness.

Hope to be out there on sat for Memphis. We have akron during the week away.

Finally, someone who comments on soccer. Thank God. Anyway, Good Report. One of the new guys is van der velde, assisted on that long goal to Kristo, is he the back right that Nick was talking about?

I don't remember van der welde so I must have left before he came on.

US Mexico on ESPN 2 tomorrow as well. At Azteca. Watch out for piss bags.

This one will likely get ugly. The US players chosen plus the starting lineup...yikes! I like Jurgen's high-level ideas for US soccer, but he has shown nothing when it comes to roster selection and starting lineups. I would have given him a pass for this mid-summer friendly and the difficulty of getting his A-team players in, but he's out done himself on this one. And not in a good way.

A 1-0 loss to Akron away is not something to hang our head about. Akron started 4 seniors, 2 juniors, 2 sophomores, and 3 freshman. And check out the freshman: NSCAA All American/OH State player of the year ; No 3 Ranked Recruit/U20 Natl Team; and 11th top recruit/U20 Natl team. Porter continues to get some extrememly high level recruits in the door.

Basically, our 1 senior, 3 juniors, 4 sophomores, and 3 freshman had a very tough opponent only after one week's worth of training together and showed something to be excited about even with a loss. And McGinty played 24 total players....seven more than what Akron used. All in all, one should get a positive vibe from this.

Looking forward to Memphis this weekend at Hermann.

Watched most of the game today while with my one year old out at Hermann. McGinty got a lot of guys on the field for playing time. Lots of new faces. Hard to remember all my observations but I will try:

First half saw shack in goal, freshman from Tulsa at right back, manning and new DeSmet kid at center, and lee on left. Bryce was out wide, new kid from Monteverdi academy and Robson in middle, mags out on left, Hidalgo and Kristo top. Lee was very dangerous coming out of the back and defended well. Manning and bryce look bigger. Kristo was getting to dangerous positions but having trouble with final touch or finish. Shack wasn't really tested. Lots of ball movement through the back. Few long balls forward, mainly playing to feet. But first goal i believe did come from long ball in to Kristo.

Second half, lots of new kids. The fast kid from Monteverdi was up top and reminds me of Charlie Davies before he got hurt; speed is elite but touch catching up. Kyle Patterson-esque. The irish kid -Graydon - is not big but plays the ball very quickly from center mid. He had a no look pass to streaking player down right near the beginning of the game. Always showing for the ball, very active on it. Right back and one center back, both from Germany. Right back looked really good and fast. No one else really stood out. Sweetin did play with this group. Looked good but tried too much and held on to the ball too long multiple times.

Asked shack who of the new guys were legit and he said Graydon, the fast forward, and the German right back.a. Asked Adnan if he was going in but he said he got in trouble over his fitness.

Hope to be out there on sat for Memphis. We have akron during the week away.

sounds like a real barn burner.

A 1-0 loss to Akron away is not something to hang our head about. Akron started 4 seniors, 2 juniors, 2 sophomores, and 3 freshman. And check out the freshman: NSCAA All American/OH State player of the year ; No 3 Ranked Recruit/U20 Natl Team; and 11th top recruit/U20 Natl team. Porter continues to get some extrememly high level recruits in the door.

Basically, our 1 senior, 3 juniors, 4 sophomores, and 3 freshman had a very tough opponent only after one week's worth of training together and showed something to be excited about even with a loss. And McGinty played 24 total players....seven more than what Akron used. All in all, one should get a positive vibe from this.

Looking forward to Memphis this weekend at Hermann.

I'll be out of town in Nashville, so I can't be there. Wish I could. Would obviouslly love a detailed report

3-2 loss. Memphis grabbed three goals in the first half. First goal of free kick to back post. Sweetin simply got man handled by his guy who headed to far post. Sweetin should have done better. Second goal was a blur of speed. Memphis gained ball in their half and immediately headed down right flank. Hard cross served and near post runner headed a bullet inside near post. Third goal was embarrassing as ball played over top had manning and German cb not communicate and Memphis guy ran on and scored. We did grab one late with khalil getting to ball in box and slotting it on. So all in all ugly. Starters: shack, manning, two German backs, lee, roeckle, graydon, Khalil, Robson, sweetin, kristo. Memphis looked to be playing more upper classmen.

Second half was completely different. Slu pushed hard and moved the ball well, attacking the flanks with lee and sweetin. I remember reacting to the second goal but can't remember what happened. But it gave slu further life but could not get tying goal.

Observations:

- kristo's is not playing well as a target, constantly pushed off ball or bad touches leading to turnovers.

- lee out of the back is fun to watch. He attacks fast and with ample skill. Very dangerous option for slu.

- weird to see three guys for slu at six- three or taller, two of which are center backs. Too bad two goals for Memphis came off headers. Our inexperience at center back will show this year.

- Graydon, the irish kid, is the real deal. Skip, we have been waiting for an attacking mid for awhile and this is the guy. He plays at a different level. Not big but works very hard and plays tough. He will unlock defenses this year.

- sweetin needs to be on the flank where he can use his touch and speed. He gets hacked in the middle and doesn't move the ball like Graydon.

- Marco, German right back, is good. Speedy, feisty, and smart.

- The youth this year will be both fun to watch and frustrating when we go up against more exp'd teams.

3-2 loss. Memphis grabbed three goals in the first half. First goal of free kick to back post. Sweetin simply got man handled by his guy who headed to far post. Sweetin should have done better. Second goal was a blur of speed. Memphis gained ball in their half and immediately headed down right flank. Hard cross served and near post runner headed a bullet inside near post. Third goal was embarrassing as ball played over top had manning and German cb not communicate and Memphis guy ran on and scored. We did grab one late with khalil getting to ball in box and slotting it on. So all in all ugly. Starters: shack, manning, two German backs, lee, roeckle, graydon, Khalil, Robson, sweetin, kristo. Memphis looked to be playing more upper classmen. Second half was completely different. Slu pushed hard and moved the ball well, attacking the flanks with lee and sweetin. I remember reacting to the second goal but can't remember what happened. But it gave slu further life but could not get tying goal. Observations: - kristo's is not playing well as a target, constantly pushed off ball or bad touches leading to turnovers. - lee out of the back is fun to watch. He attacks fast and with ample skill. Very dangerous option for slu. - weird to see three guys for slu at six- three or taller, two of which are center backs. Too bad two goals for Memphis came off headers. Our inexperience at center back will show this year. - Graydon, the irish kid, is the real deal. Skip, we have been waiting for an attacking mid for awhile and this is the guy. He plays at a different level. Not big but works very hard and plays tough. He will unlock defenses this year. - sweetin needs to be on the flank where he can use his touch and speed. He gets hacked in the middle and doesn't move the ball like Graydon. - Marco, German right back, is good. Speedy, feisty, and smart. - The youth this year will be both fun to watch and frustrating when we go up against more exp'd teams.

Glad to hear your comments on Graydon. You know my thoughts on center mid.

Remember Kristo started out slow last year also. He looked out of shape and lazy. However, as the season progressed he really came on. How did he look conditioning wise? He looks like he has a body that will require him to work to stay in shape, so if that's the case I hope he realizes it and makes changes. The guy has some skill and imo has the potential to play after SLU.