Interesting NYT article on "won and done"

I have never understood why the NBDL doesn't take kids right out of HS.

The reality is some kids just aren't meant for college.

Let any kid out of HS who wants to apply for the draft apply, then make them play a year or 2 in the NBDL. You could add a 3rd rd to the draft for these kids or something. There should be a solution involving the NBDL (like minor league baseball) that gives kids out of HS who don't want to go to college a chance to hone their skills and maybe someday make an NBA roster rather than continue to make a mockery of college basketball.

Take Willie Reed for example even if he never played a day in the NBA what would be wrong with a 5 - 10 year NBDL career at 40 - 50 k per year. They could even require players or teams (and pay them less) to set up a college fund in case they want to get an education later when they mature. Pay them 30 and put 10-20 per year into a college savings account.

Great post, I also think the nbdl should provide basic classes for these players they take that teach them how to manage life making large amounts money as well as public speaking and such.

Great post, I also think the nbdl should provide basic classes for these players they take that teach them how to manage life making large amounts money as well as public speaking and such.

when justin love left slu for a shot at the nba he was provided with training that addressed his livfe skills. i am pretty sure that the nba spends the time and money to give the players the guideance they need off the court. do the players all take advantage of the opportunities? probably not.

Players are allowed to go straight to the NBDL. Why though?? College basketball ups your draft status. and if you cant hack it in college why not pull a brandon jennings and get paid a million instead of 50K.

Players are allowed to go straight to the NBDL. Why though?? College basketball ups your draft status. and if you cant hack it in college why not pull a brandon jennings and get paid a million instead of 50K.

Does anybody take the NBDL seriously? I don't follow the NBA too much but it seems like the NBDL is nothing more than extra depth for teams. Rarely do impact players come from there. If they did that it might legitimize the NBDL as a "developmental league"

Does anybody take the NBDL seriously? I don't follow the NBA too much but it seems like the NBDL is nothing more than extra depth for teams. Rarely do impact players come from there. If they did that it might legitimize the NBDL as a "developmental league"

Seriously enough to hire this guy:

Posted Image

The Mighty Quin

Jeremy Lin is a recent example.

I have never understood why the NBDL doesn't take kids right out of HS.

The reality is some kids just aren't meant for college.

Let any kid out of HS who wants to apply for the draft apply, then make them play a year or 2 in the NBDL. You could add a 3rd rd to the draft for these kids or something. There should be a solution involving the NBDL (like minor league baseball) that gives kids out of HS who don't want to go to college a chance to hone their skills and maybe someday make an NBA roster rather than continue to make a mockery of college basketball.

Take Willie Reed for example even if he never played a day in the NBA what would be wrong with a 5 - 10 year NBDL career at 40 - 50 k per year. They could even require players or teams (and pay them less) to set up a college fund in case they want to get an education later when they mature. Pay them 30 and put 10-20 per year into a college savings account.

Skip. Why a college savings account? Possibly an outdated figure, but not too long ago, a kid was deemed to be in the minority of all Americans if he/she attended one (1) day of college. My point: most Americans don't go to college. These basketball players we are talking about will have turned down a free ride at college (tuition plus room & board) to pursue their basketball dreams even though they really are college material. After they fail at basketball, or finish their basketball careers, what makes you think they suddenly become college material. I'd be willing to bet that most of these basketball players have/had poor grades and poor SAT/ACT test scores. In fact, while there are some basketball players who choose college and have grades and test scores equal to or greater than their college's median averages (their peers), most basketball (and athletes in general) are below, to far below, their peers.

If anything, give them a small pension or fund a 401K for them.