the streets

p diddy

sighhhhhh. for now i will just hope my intial thoughts are shortsighted. newborne was far from my first choice but of course we shouldnt judge things based on what we read. if brad wants him, we need to believe it is the best.

Roy, you were disappointed with the Frericks recruitment as well so let's just keep an open mind. The numbers he put up at Chippola are what we need ... it's only the size that gives one pause. But we've seen many successful undersized power forwards on opposing teams the last few years so I have no problem with us going that direction if coach has made an evaluation that the kid can play. Also, we have other potential options at 4 for those teams fielding a PF who outsizes VN (Izik, JJ or even Frericks).

If Newbourne is like a power forward version of Tom, that's good enough for me. The scouting report said he plays taller than 6'6, is beefy, can jump and is a good rebounder. Sounds like he won't be a superstar, but he may prevent us from getting kicked around on the boards like we did at times last year.

Now, it looks like Tommie may be heading to prep school. I say use that last scholarship and make a run at a scoring juco 3. If there is none available, maybe a good transfer falls into our lap. I hope we use it now. Then next year, hopefully we nab Lisch and Liddell in the fall. We'll need to get Liddell on the dotted line again in the fall, before he starts playing and the vultures begin to circle.

Alan Daniels signed with Lamar and Je'kel Foster is going to be a Buckeye. If we aren't already recruiting some other kids besides the aformentioned players to play on the wing, April is a little late to start. I'm sure the staff will keep beating the bushes for recruits, but realistically I think we're done on the juco front. I would look at a D-1 transfer.

i just hope he is a frericks and not a varner. the post below that stated he did not stand out in the daily pickup game and if there was a standout "pf" it was justin johnson, doesnt exactly have me doing handstands.

i tend to agree. a transfer is probably a better bet. which of course that would mean no immediate help as that said transfer would have to sit a year.

>What post about JJ and Newborne are you referring to? And

>haven't we learned to stop making snap judgments based on

>one pickup game? The kid grabbed 110+ offensive boards

>against kids that were two inches taller than him. That

>should speak louder than any single pickup game.

Exactly. Drawing conclusions from one pick-up game is crazy.

i cant find the post now. it could have been a pm i got from another poster, and if so, i wont share that. while i long ago admitted i was way wrong on frericks, i wasnt wrong on husak. i hope i am wrong on newborne.

that's true.

i wont talk about it anymore. i would prefer to try to take your viewpoint and hope he will turn into omar sneed.

With the additional minutes JJ & Ian should be getting and with Brad preferring a shortened bench, I think a transfer would be the best option at this point. Only other option I can think of would be Evans if we thought he was over his injured knee, but I don't want to take a 4 year chance on that. Let him prove it at a JUCO & then bring him in--if he even wants to come to SLU.

broy, while I do recall you using the words "borderline horrible" in some refernce to last year's recruiting class, I don't recall exactly what you said about BH.

imo, it is way too early to evaluate BH. imo, we need to see how BH is doing in October 2005 at the earliest. He has added some strength in the past 11 months and I look forward to seeing his size and skills in October 2005.

I have seen VN play three juco games and I also watched him in last Friday's pick-up game. I'll add my two cents a little bit later.

I hope you are not basing your evaluations of Husak on what you saw in the fall....if you have seen him lately, he looks much different physically!

I doubt that JJ will be the most impressive PF on any court, especially West Pine Gym.

Descriptions of Newborne make him seem like a Luke Whitehead type player. Can screen, defend and hit the O-boards. Nice guy to have around.

to kindly summarize my thoughts last summer on bryce husak, at the time we did not know if anyone or who would get redshirted. i basically said, i didnt expect husak to contribute one bit immediately and we needed a couple of bigs to step up to replace braun and brown. a number of posters seemed certain we had signed the next lew alcindor. after seeing him at a couple of workouts, i wasnt buying. that doesnt mean i dont think husak will ever contribute. i believe both him and ian are long term projects that even if they become heinrich like will be huge players for he billikens in a few years. the fact we have frericks gives us time to wait and i definitely am encouraged by recent reports of husak.

my comments about newborne are definitely unfair. i apologize to the board. it is just i was hoping that somehow someway the power forward we would get would be tisby, of faulkner or abraham. life as a typical billiken fan goes on.