a little bird told me

that the reason kevin lisch did not have his visit yesterday was that apparently the ncaa is now in one of their "dead periods". i.e. just any contact with kevin during this time might constitute an illegal contact that could have prevented kevin from even considering slu. thus, the visit was actually rescheduled a while back so as not to mess up the recruitment.

i am glad this was caught, but my question is how could it even have been close to happening? one would think there is a big calendar on the wall with big red xx's all over the "dead period" days for the whole year and all the coaches and assistant coaches have their vacations scheduled during these times. am i missing something here? isnt that "business scheduling 101"?

I was thinking the exact same sentiments you expressed in your second paragraph. If the story is true that Kevin was scheduled for this weekend and the reason it was truly cancelled was the dead period and the dead period wasn't just recently announced then something is seriously wrong.

Perhaps Kevin Lisch said that he wanted to take a visit at that time but the athletic department informed him that they couldn't do it then.

But even if it was scheduled by the AD and then cancelled, at least it was cancelled first so that they didn't have to declare him ineligible and ask to reinstate him or (worse) withdraw from recruiting him (particularly if it's where he really wants to go). However, secondary violations do occur -- they are inadvertent mistakes against an unwieldy set of rules (a humongous set of rules). I don't think even SLU is immune to committing occasional secondary violation.

I can tell you that for some reason even the most obvious and straightforward NCAA rules can be extremely difficult to remember and follow, even for someone, for example, with a law degree and MBA from Duke, who may think that all rules are open to interpretation. That example is for illustrative purposes only, and was not intended to refer to any specific person.

NCAA 2003-04 Men's Basketball

April 1, through April 6 ---dead period

April 7, (8am) through the month of April ---- contact period

except April 12, through April 15 ---- dead period

(Evaluations at sites other than the prospect's educational institution may occur only on Saturday and/or Sunday, and not on any weekend during which the PSAY,SAT,PLAN(or PACT PLUS) or ACT national standardized tests are administered.)

May 1 through July 7 ---- quiet period

July 8, through July 17 ---- evaluation period

July 18, through July 21 ---- dead period

July 22, through July 31 ---- evaluation period