Rocky Top High!

Schasz

You will have to forgive me for going a little off topic, but my wife, two daughters and myself thoroughly enjoyed the Miami and UT Vols football game that we attended at the old barn they call The Orange Bowl...how appropriate for Saturday's contest. Not exactly the nice wholesome atmosphere of Neyland Stadium. I mean the Miami fans cheering when a Vols player was husrt was bush league...not to mention the beer that was thrown on us after one of the Miami TO'S.

I think the pageantry of college sports is what makes it so very popular, and next to my beloved Billiken basketball, UT Vols football in the fall ranks right up there with our household. No, the Vols did not overwhelm the Gangsta's from Miami...they just did not shoot themselves in the foot time and again as the Gangsta's did. The Vols defense had the answers in this game when it came to crunch time and made our Miami trip very sweet indeed. South Beach was much more enjoyable with the taste of victory to celebrate.

A new rule will be placed into effect 11/10/03....NO MORE TALK ABOUT UNIVERSITY OF TENNESSEE FOOTBALL!!!!!!

Just kidding...But to be honest with you, I HATE the University of Tennessee athletics. Living in Nashville, I hear nothing but UT propoganda all day, everyday. I see bright orange cars, trucks, and vans with UT streamers and stickers at least 3 times a day...no matter what time of year. Not to mention the fact that acedimics is an afterthought there and these players are making more money that I do. I'm also an employee of Vanderbilt University, so UT talk is not permitted around here :).

Please, continue to talk about whatever you want....I just had to get that off my chest

I completely agree with the fact that we need to support our team moreso that we currently do. Wearing billiken blue on game day is a necessity. I have no problem with fans wearing orange on gameday, that is what they're supposed to do. But the people here in Tennessee take it to a whole new level. It really is quite insane. I am completely honest with you when I say that I have met many UT fans that could not name another conference other than the SEC. The people here in Tennessee make UT football the center of there lives and it makes me sick.....Think of what St. Louis would be like if everyday you had to drive down the street and see black and gold cars with Tigers on the side. Or go to the grocery store and be bombarded by orange signs, banners, and whatever else they feel like. I think SLU needs more support, but keep it classy.

I don't know if I buy into the paying players stuff but then I don't have inside information on UT Vols athletics. I can tell you that there football fans ( and they have four from my family) are some of the most rabid fans that I have EVER experienced in college sports. I have been to Mizzou football games when they played Nebraska and I would say UT Vol fans with their orange travel just as much as the red clad Husker fans. There was a heck of a lot of orange in that Orange Bowl on Saturday, and not all of them traveled from Tampa as I ran into a few that came all the way from Knoxville. Just because Vandy sports suck wind, doesn't give anyone justification to trash the Vols!

Yeah, Vandy sports do suck....minus basketball. And I know it's all in good fun, but I just can only take so much bright orange. After so many years, it starts to get to me. The really funny thing about UT fans is that, for the most part, they care about nothing other than football. I know many (MANY) people that attend UT or did attend UT and they could not tell me the first thing about UT basketball. When I bring up bball (i really don't care much about college football....other than the tailgate), my buddies just laugh at me and say how much UT baskeball sucks. I just don't get it.

Sorry about all the UT posts, but any Vol talk can get me riled up sometimes!

Oh yeah...please educate me when those Long Horns won their last National Championship, bet it was before most of the people that post here were even born. I don't see it getting done with Mack as their HC, especially with Stoops at OU.

I actually grew up an OU fan in a house full of fanatical Horns. My brother is a grad ... and has football season tickets ... no Bball since he lives 2 hrs away. I just went to Des Moines to meet them for the UT-ISU game. I soured on OU in the late 80's ... due to the Cincinati nature of the program back then. Now ... with Stoops and Sampson, I think they run good programs ... but Bball wise SLU has my heart now ... and I still follow Sooner football closely.

I was just being sarcastic about the real UT ... but I would bet that their history actually is a little more prominent then the Vols, but my brother can argue that one better than me. I used to have a good buddy in the service from Knoxville, I went there with him one weekend ... all I really remember is a lot of nice young ladies ... but that was about 20 years ago ... I doubt the nice young ladies remember me.

I would hate to compare IQ's of BB and FB players. Lets face it, a lineman in FB has a lot more to remember than any position in BB.

I remember reading James Michner's "Sports in America" 20+ years ago.

He convinced me of that fact and I wonder what is the greatest college football campus experience? (Campus atmosphere, tradition, general good time feeling for non alum attending, etc.) I would put UT right up there from what I have heard second hand. Not many 100K+ stadiums on campus have boat tailgating like they do.

The last time I was in Knoxville was several summers ago. My wife and I drove our two daughters around campus and I wanted to show them Neyland Stadium (easily one of the top five college stadiums I have seen a game). Anyway while we are driving up to the stadium I not only saw a parking spot right next to the stadium but my eyes light up when I saw the stadium gates wide open. We walked right into the stadium. Being there for a game and one of my highlights was seeing UT play GA in Herschel Walkers first college game. Yep those 100,000+ folks dressed in orange on the TN river is quite a sight.

Let's lay off the Vols, and their miniscule graduation rate(always neck and neck with K-State around 17% or so)

One of my relatives went to Vandy and combine those games with UT there, with a trip to College football HOF in South Bend(where you can push a button and play "Rocky Top" all day) I could sing that song backwards.

I like hearing Fowler and Herbstreet pick their favorite stops, ...and UT was in there. They inisist the hottest co-eds in the SEC or country for that matter go to Ole Miss. They say best atmosphere is Auburn, best game day tailgate is night game in LSU. And best game atmosphere itself at UT.

Hey Schasz, how about jazzing up the offense? Haven't seen one in Knoxville in years. Too vanilla.

Nothing like college football saturday on campus.

PS...I have been to Miami, and it is very different mix, not your collegiate like atmosphere.

You will probably get little argument from any died in the wool Vols fan that Phil Fulmer must get better people at the skilled positions if UT wants to get back into the national championship hunt. I believe that Casey Clausen regressed since the outstanding performance that I saw from him when UT completely took Michigan apart in the Citrus Bowl two years ago. Now some of his best receivers left early for the NFL, but he has been very inconsistent throwing the ball too. On more than one occasion, I heard the TV guys saying when UT played teams like Auburn earlier this year...well Cadilac Williams was dowm to UT and Auburn on his decision. Right now that decision could be the difference in UT being right in the hunt for another national championship, as Cadilac did a number on UT earlier this year.