Home court advantage

Pitboss

Home court advantage is a real entity. Refs are human, they can be influenced. Athletes, in particular college ones are influenced. You can discourage your opponent and encourage your team. Guess what, It works! When the Lobos were down by 7 in the first half, it was the the crowd, all 15K, the 6th man, that stood and supported the team with it's noise, but directed noise at the right time and with a profound volume change. It decreases when the Lobos are on offense and it can be deafening if not down right painful when the Lobos need a stop. There at the end when Kendall Williams stole that pass and went for the dunk, you couldn't hear yourself think let alone try to speak. Hand signals work, but verbal warnings of impending doom don't. We, the fans, made a difference. You distract field goal shooters any way you can. The Lobos went to a game of driving to the basket. They forced the Refs to make numerous "judgement" calls in a hostile environment. Heck, maybe they should bend over and use their only good eye!

Rick Majerus is an awesome coach. His teams are prepared and he makes excellent in game adjustments. As an opponent, you've got to disrupt that. The Lobo student section is right next to the opposing bench. They yell and make noise through out every time out. It makes it hard to communicate. Ricks an emotional guy, maybe you distract him or piss him off enough to get a T. Didn't happen yesterday, but it's happened in the past.

What's great about a real home court advantage is that It's LEGAL. Your a fan! Support your team! To many fans want to over analyze and make themselves into sports writers , assistant coaches, Vegas bookmakers or ESPN analysts. Fan is short for FANATIC. When I go to the Pit for a game, I expect that I and my brethren will make a difference. We are the 6th man and the team feeds off of us. We belong to our team and the team belongs to us. We count and we matter. We are not "spectators". We expect to influence the game.

SLU has an excellent team. They should not loose a single home game this year and few if any away games. As a fan, one has a "voice" in that. As a Billikin fan I would suggest you should quit whining about the refs and learn from yesterday. Fill the Fetz with fans and noise. The Billikins will respond.

Pitboss

SLUMS '78

UNM '84

Home court advantage is a real entity. Refs are human, they can be influenced. Athletes, in particular college ones are influenced. You can discourage your opponent and encourage your team. Guess what, It works! When the Lobos were down by 7 in the first half, it was the the crowd, all 15K, the 6th man, that stood and supported the team with it's noise, but directed noise at the right time and with a profound volume change. It decreases when the Lobos are on offense and it can be deafening if not down right painful when the Lobos need a stop. There at the end when Kendall Williams stole that pass and went for the dunk, you couldn't hear yourself think let alone try to speak. Hand signals work, but verbal warnings of impending doom don't. We, the fans, made a difference. You distract field goal shooters any way you can. You stay on the refs. Heck, maybe they should bend over and use their only good eye!

Rick Majerus is an awesome coach. His teams are prepared and he makes excellent in game adjustments. As an opponent, you've got to disrupt that. The Lobo student section is right next to the opposing bench. They yell and make noise through out every time out. It makes it hard to communicate. Ricks an emotional guy, maybe you distract him or piss him off enough to get a T. Didn't happen yesterday, but it's happened in the past.

What's great about a real home court advantage is that It's LEGAL. Your a fan! Support your team! To many fans want to over analyze and make themselves into sports writers , assistant coaches, Vegas bookmakers or ESPN analysts. Fan is short for FANATIC. When I go to the Pit for a game, I expect that I and my brethren will make a difference. We are the 6th man and the team feeds off of us. We belong to our team and the team belongs to us. We count and we matter. We are not "spectators". We expect to influence the game.

SLU has an excellent team. They should not loose a single home game this year and few if any away games. As a fan, one has a "voice" in that. As a Billikin fan I would suggest you should quit whining about the refs and learn from yesterday. Fill the Fetz with fans and noise. The Billikins will respond.

Pitboss

SLUMS '78

UNM '84

Please use proper grammar if you decide to let others know that you are a SLU graduate. Thanks.

I don't get it. Perhaps the crowd affected some calls but I didn't see it. I mean, what are SLU fans complaining about? You just aren't going to draw fouls (although you did get one) by shooting 3 pointers. We drew fouls by driving and we gt called for several charging violations, many of them could have been called on SLU.

Home court advantage is a real entity. Refs are human, they can be influenced. Athletes, in particular college ones are influenced. You can discourage your opponent and encourage your team. Guess what, It works! When the Lobos were down by 7 in the first half, it was the the crowd, all 15K, the 6th man, that stood and supported the team with it's noise, but directed noise at the right time and with a profound volume change. It decreases when the Lobos are on offense and it can be deafening if not down right painful when the Lobos need a stop. There at the end when Kendall Williams stole that pass and went for the dunk, you couldn't hear yourself think let alone try to speak. Hand signals work, but verbal warnings of impending doom don't. We, the fans, made a difference. You distract field goal shooters any way you can. The Lobos went to a game of driving to the basket. They forced the Refs to make numerous "judgement" calls in a hostile environment. Heck, maybe they should bend over and use their only good eye!

Pitboss

SLUMS '78

UNM '84

I agree with this post. The real problem is as I said in another thread that the Bills don't get that home court advantage. But seriously, that is no one's fault but our own. You guys make the Pit hell and it pays off. I posted the real stats on the disparity of fouls called for and against the Lobo's home and away. It's real, but it is part of the game. It's up to us to make our place the same, if we do, we'll get the same home court advantage. If we don't we won't.

What I find funny is the Lobo fans that clearly ignore the reality of the numbers and basically claim the Pit doesn't influence the refs at all. Even the ones who before the game were claiming it to be a 10 pt advantage

When we are running our offense right, we're not going to draw as many fouls as a team like New Mexico. That said, the foul calls on our guards were absolutely atrocious. McCall was matching up really well with them and if the calls don't take him out of the game I think we win. Furthermore, when guys like Jett and Evans did drive, they were called for fouls far less often than the NMU guys were.

We didn't play well and only lost by 4 at the Pit. We were the more talented team. (NMU fans will freak out at that, but lets not confuse athletic and talented, you can be talented with a lot of white boys). We need a win at Dayton and with them having Benson out, I'm confident we can get that.

NH, for the first time I agree with just about everything you said. We weren't even close to good and lost on the road by four points. (Waldo will keep reminding me where that game was). Time to take out this loss on the Preseason Champions of the Universe Dayton Cryers.

Rick Majerus is an awesome coach. His teams are prepared and he makes excellent in game adjustments. As an opponent, you've got to disrupt that. The Lobo student section is right next to the opposing bench. They yell and make noise through out every time out. It makes it hard to communicate. Ricks an emotional guy, maybe you distract himew or piss him off enough to get a T. Didn't happen yesterday, but it's happened in the past.

Pitboss

SLUMS '78

UNM '84

"Loose"? Seriously.....you attended Saint Louis University?

When we are running our offense right, we're not going to draw as many fouls as a team like New Mexico. That said, the foul calls on our guards were absolutely atrocious. McCall was matching up really well with them and if the calls don't take him out of the game I think we win. Furthermore, when guys like Jett and Evans did drive, they were called for fouls far less often than the NMU guys were.

We didn't play well and only lost by 4 at the Pit. We were the more talented team. (NMU fans will freak out at that, but lets not confuse athletic and talented, you can be talented with a lot of white boys). We need a win at Dayton and with them having Benson out, I'm confident we can get that.

NH, what position does Benson play and is he one of their better players? We probably will get homered again but our team is more talented than recent Billiken teams that defeated Dayton twice in one year and if we shoot better and play like we normally do, we should win. I'm not familiar with their players.

Man, you guys are tough! I guess I've been living out West with the Dominicans and Franciscans way to long. I'm losing my Jesuit-trained edge.

I can only quote scripture in my meager defense, "Judge not, that ye not be judged" Matthew 7

Happy New Year Billikens! Kick some butt in Dayton!

Pitboss

:)

It's U-N-M, please use correct grammar.

Thanks!

Man, you guys are tough! I guess I've been living out West with the Dominicans and Franciscans way to long. I'm losing my Jesuit-trained edge.

I can only quote scripture in my meager defense, "Judge not, that ye not be judged" Matthew 7

Happy New Year Billikens! Kick some butt in Dayton!

Pitboss :)

Yes, way TOO long ! It's still academics first at SLU. Just ask Majerus ! :)