Chaifetz Arena Finances

bk18

http://www.slu.edu/x52590.xml

Chaifetz Arena has been recognized by Venues Today as one of the busiest venues of its size in the publication's mid-year rankings.

Chaifetz Arena is ranked the No. 13th venue in the world in the 10,001 - 15,000 capacity category in the 2011 Mid-Year Top Stops rankings released in the July 2011 issue of Venues Today. The report is based on concert and non-sports event gross sales and attendance between October 16, 2010 and May 15, 2011.

Chaifetz Arena hosted 31 ticketed events during that span, selling 81,029 tickets for a total of $3,581,569 in gross ticket sales.

This did not include Billiken basketball games and non-ticketed events like graduations/ expos. I would guess that means another 3 million or more. This would mean they are pulling in about $10 million a year in revenue.

This did not include Billiken basketball games and non-ticketed events like graduations/ expos. I would guess that means another 3 million or more. This would mean they are pulling in about $10 million a year in revenue.

I am guessing that when you include revenue from leasing to non-ticketed events, they are generating close to $12 million/year in revenue. With some quick back of the envelope math, I estimate their annual bond payments at about $6 million. (I assumed a 20 year amortization and over $60 million borrowed, both of which may be way off.) The arena probably has several more million in annual operating costs, but I would guess that it is at least breaking even.

I am guessing that when you include revenue from leasing to non-ticketed events, they are generating close to $12 million/year in revenue. With some quick back of the envelope math, I estimate their annual bond payments at about $6 million. (I assumed a 20 year amortization and over $60 million borrowed, both of which may be way off.) The arena probably has several more million in annual operating costs, but I would guess that it is at least breaking even.

I thought they paid off the mortgage already if that is what you are talking about.

Are the concession stands at Chaifetz open during commencement? Just curious. I also saw that a "Disney on Ice" was going to be at Chaifetz, which must really anger all the old Hockey Bills who have been clamoring for an on-campus ice sheet for years now.

Kshoe. Kshoe. Kshoe. Nice to see you are up on the AC commitment. Not happy about having to fing it in this thread as opposed to where I proposed our "date."

You are still in, right, bunkie? I making a route recon this Tuesday!

I thought they paid off the mortgage already if that is what you are talking about.

I believe they issued tax-exempt bonds to cover most of the costs of the arena. They won't be paid off for many years; in fact, it would probably be a poor economic decision to do so.

Are the concession stands at Chaifetz open during commencement? Just curious. I also saw that a "Disney on Ice" was going to be at Chaifetz, which must really anger all the old Hockey Bills who have been clamoring for an on-campus ice sheet for years now.

Someone closer to the situation can correct me, but it was my understanding that Disney on Ice, at least in St. Louis, is actually Disney on a Synthetic Polymer that Reacts to Skates Like Ice Does.

Someone closer to the situation can correct me, but it was my understanding that Disney on Ice, at least in St. Louis, is actually Disney on a Synthetic Polymer that Reacts to Skates Like Ice Does.

Sounds like Bill Nye on Ice :)