NCAA Championship Game

Obviously, these are generalizations. But it is also pretty clear what is happening at certain BCS schools, which have become homes of the ones and dones. It is a disturbing trend IMO and in the opinions of my fellow college hoops followers out here. In essence, it turns what is supposed to be college basketball, as in basketball played by college students, into something else. This was a topic of discussion last night as we watched that bad game unfolding. We were discussing the reason for the ones and dones. Is it an NBA rule to no longer draft freshmen out of high school? If so, who agreed to that on behalf of the players? I don't follow the NBA closely.

It's an NBA rule, yes. It was instituted earlier this past decade.

I believe a quick way to make it a little bit better is to have the following:

Either go from high school to NBA if you wish, or if you do stay and go to college, you must stay for 3 seasons, That's how it works in some other sports. And, that is certainly better than one and done.

Either go from high school to NBA if you wish, or if you do stay and go to college, you must stay for 3 seasons, That's how it works in some other sports. And, that is certainly better than one and done.

I heard Kornheiser and Wilbon discussing this on PTI yesterday. I think it would be a fair rule (and make both the NBA and NCAA better products) but I just don't think the NBA players will go for it. A shame, really.

i disagree. if a kid doesnt want to be in college, let them go. why should the colleges supply the pro's minor leagues, plus, that kid that doesnt want to be a student is going to be the student that causes the most problems. rare you see academic or recruiting scandals on the rhodes scholarlike students.

people watch college basketball for some sense of "purity" and a want to believe there is a sense of amateur status left. they dont watch first and foremost for the talent. if they did care first and foremost about talent they would be watching the nba.

if EVERYBODY had pure student athletes a lot of the problems of college sports would disappear and the interest in college sports would not dimminish one bit. in fact they would increase imo.

throw 100% of ncaa police work into academic regulation. it would solve a lot of problems.

+1

i disagree. if a kid doesnt want to be in college, let them go. why should the colleges supply the pro's minor leagues, plus, that kid that doesnt want to be a student is going to be the student that causes the most problems. rare you see academic or recruiting scandals on the rhodes scholarlike students.

people watch college basketball for some sense of "purity" and a want to believe there is a sense of amateur status left. they dont watch first and foremost for the talent. if they did care first and foremost about talent they would be watching the nba.

if EVERYBODY had pure student athletes a lot of the problems of college sports would disappear and the interest in college sports would not dimminish one bit. in fact they would increase imo.

throw 100% of ncaa police work into academic regulation. it would solve a lot of problems.

Generalizing a little here, Roy? Maybe you should state that 'you' like to watch college sports for this reason. I think people watch college sports for a variety of reasons. One might be for pride in one's school, city, state, etc. Another could be because of the talent involved. And yes, some watch it for some sense of purity. Yet others might like to watch because they like the sport.

I think Stevens has no reason to leave right now, unless it is an elite program. Since there aren't any perfect jobs out there right now, why go anywhere? I think he's secured himself as a 'must-have' coach for at least a number of years, regardless of Butler's outcome the next few. Sure, they probably won't achieve this kind of success again, but not many do, and Stevens will always have that on his resume.

You are right when you say "not many do". I don't want to hear about how great coach K is or Roy Williams, Dean Smith, John Caliperi, Bill Selph or any of those other coaches who have rosters full of high school all americans, and rarely play in the championship game in back to back years. What would they do with the level of talent that Butler has? I doubt if they could duplicate what Stevens did. I could coach a team full of Parade all americans into the NCAA tournament every year and so could most coaches who are any good at all. They are all very good coaches but it would be hard not to be with the talent they get EVERY year. I would like to see how well they would do consistently coaching the level of talent SLU gets.

Bernie talking about the game today said it was worse than watching a SLU vs. St. Joe game.

Then said it made a bad A-10 game look exciting.

I can't really argue with him but I was suprised to hear him take the unnecessary shots at the local team and a good basketball conference.

He seriously said this? If so, then what a fat worthless ###### douchebag.