Schedule

Doman2

I am glad that we are getting a tougher non conference schedule. We could have used one this year and once we get to the A10 we are going to need one to have a good shot at the dance. That isn't a slam on the A10 but they just don't have the reputation that even CUSA has much less the so called power conf. If we start a Home and Home with Iowa now, wouldn't the second year of that be the year we move to the A10. Also wasn't there a thread a while back about adding a game with Duke. In a year or two our non. conf. schedule maybe very fun to watch. Keep up the good work Coach Soderberg and staff. Now go kick ND ass.

I don't know there are some good teams in the A10(some crapy ones as well). But I would feel better if we didn't have to rely on the conf. tourny to get us into the big dance. I do believe that we will consistanty finish in the to 4 or five of the new A10 but I don't know how many bids they usually get to the NCAA's I know this year they got four but I got the feeling that this is the exception rather than the rule.

the a-10 has had 3 or more teams make the tourney for a number of years now. they have consistently been a top 8-9 conference. now you add st louis and charlotte to the league (both consistent to 75 teams) and the conference gets even stronger. plus it is obvious that the a-10 will now pass up conference usa who lose 6 out of their top 8 schools to the a-10 and big least.

i agree the a-10 has 2-3 bottom feeders that are probably even weaker than the tulane and houstons of cusa, but it has been rumored that the a-10 has mandated that those teams must improve over the next few years or they will be asked to leave the conference. lopping off those couple of teams as well would then raise the flag even higher. imo, what we have done by going to the a-10 is put ourselves in a conference just as strong as we are in right now, plus it is a conference that has members with similar off court makeups in academics and ethics. no longer are we in with a group of pirates. which will also help recruiting imo.

the only scenario that could have been better imo is the formation of the long yearned for papal conference that may still come to be once the big least figures out they have now created a 16 headed monster.

i don't think our non-conference schedule was that soft. our "money" games were bad teams that deflated our strength of schedule and that can be easily rectified, but otherwise:

arizona: perennial power, not a great season for them, but it's still arizona. one of the biggest names in the sport

dayton: NCAA team on the road

georgia tech: top-flight acc team (top 10 most of the season) on the road

west virginia: still alive in the nit (on the road)

smsu: won 19 games and made valley finals (again, on the road)

butler: rebuilding this season, but coming off sweet 16 season and about 24 victories a year for the past five years.

kansas state: big 12 team that we've lost to four consecutive times.

add those games to the loaded conference schedule which included two meetings with cincinnati, memphis, charlotte, depaul (ncaa teams) and marquette.

if this is a "weak" schedule, i'd hate to see what a strong schedule is for slu.

bad boyz for life

Agreed

There is a major flaw in the SOS rankings. Why should playing a team ranked 300 be much worse than playing a team ranked 200. If you have any right to claim to be a top 50 team ... what difference does it make either way they are easy wins.

I have said this numerous times ...

Take 2 five game stretches one team plays teams with the following rankings

4, 8, 75, 250, 300

The next plays teams ranked

40, 52, 78, 85, 110

The current SOS formula would rank the 2nd group higher though most top 25 teams should come out of that schedule 5-0 and most top 25 teams would come out of the first schedule 4-1 or 3-2.

I don't have an answer on how to fix it ... but maybe if they would assign SOS points according to groupings ie...

So many points for teams ranked

1-15 ... 1pt

16-30 ... 2pts

31-50 ... 3pts

51-100 ... 4pts

101-200... 5pts

201+ ... 6pts

Then add a point if a game was on the road

Either way for the top 50 teams playing the 201st ranked team at home shouldn't be worth anymore than playing the 299th ranked team ... it should be an easy victory either way.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

you tell us how sorry you are, yet you sign your post, "st louis sucks".

real good. we can tell you are real sincere.