Xavier's Redford out for the season

They also got a couple of big recruiting pick-ups this weekend.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=5723634

The Redford thing is a bummer. I enjoy watching what he brings to their offense as a guy who has exactly one job out there and a green light from anywhere on the offensive side of half court. He's as good a 3-point shooter as anyone in the country, and automatic from the FT line but never gets a chance.

The recruiting there appears to not only continued from what Sean Miller was doing, but even potentially picked up with these commits for 2011 and 2012. The 4-man class for 2011 has 2 top-ESPN 100 kids (27 and 45) and 2 other kids who are top-30 in their respective positions. Pair that with the verbal they got from the #29 kid in 2012 and things are going well for Mack on the recruiting front. Oh yeah, and this freshman class is very talented.

About a year ago, I was bragging to my (Xavier fan) fiance that SLU was closing the gap- soon Mitchell and Reed would be juniors, we've got a talented class coming in and everything is trending positive, while Mack was a new coach and would have a hard time continuing Miller's progress for at least a couple years. And then they come within an eyebrow of the Elite 8 and our top 2 players are booted from school while Mack is putting together perennial top-25 recruiting classes. Sigh.

It didn't seem like Majerus was aware of Redford's injury last night at the FanFest. When a little girl asked what the tape on the floor was for, he had some guys go out there and demonstrate how we use it for defense. He said we go to the middle line when the ball is skipped to the other side unless "number 12 from Xavier or number 10 from Rhode Island are over there, what's his name?"

"Akeem Richmond."

"Yeah, if Richmond is over there what do we do, Paul?"

"Stay out on him like this."

It didn't seem like Majerus was aware of Redford's injury last night at the FanFest. When a little girl asked what the tape on the floor was for, he had some guys go out there and demonstrate how we use it for defense. He said we go to the middle line when the ball is skipped to the other side unless "number 12 from Xavier or number 10 from Rhode Island are over there, what's his name?"

"Akeem Richmond."

Justin Martin (Top 50 recruit) was also ruled in eligible this year for Xavier. Tough couple days.

I can't imagine what it's like for Xavier, losing those 2 for the season. Hopefully they can recover.

"Akeem Richmond."

The fact that the player is out doesn't negate the principle. He could have used Reggie Miller or Kevin Lisch; even though the Bills won't be dealing with them, those are the kinds of players they must make special allowances for.

Is that Orge still on the team? I forget his name...

That 'ogre' just had a double-double last night and is their starting center. I think he had a come to Jesus moment after last season and realized he was the man from here on out, and apparently had an absolutely hardcore summer. I'm sure he'll still look funny running the floor, but I see big things from him this year. Let's not forget he was a top-10 center out of high school and chose XU over Notre Dame, Pitt, Ohio State, and Kentucky.