'A New Era of Soccer'

dneuner

We have a lot of soccer in the current University News. Here's the links:

'A new era of soccer' by Andrew Bush

Vetern Bills mentor, lead young club by Chris Ackels

McGinty arrives with big goals by Brea Irvin

Sweetin looks for big year by Derrick Neuner (me)

Meet Tim Ream, the big deal you've never heard of by Derrick Neuner (me)

Feedback, as always, is greatly appreciated. Enjoy!

Great to see several articles on SLU soccer. Keep it up. But....

Feedback on your Ream article:

"Ream left Saint Louis University with a reputation that preceded him. Known as an aggressive-but-quiet defender, he had several chances to leave college and pursue professional ball, yet he never tried out for the development programs. He never won a national championship but is only the Billiken in the last five years to go into the MLS."

Skip, correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but I would not describe Ream as aggressive. He would play hard when he had to but aggressive was not something that came to mind when describing Tim's play. Maybe Calum Angus. Ream was cool, calm and collected with a soft touch, great defensive positioning sense, and a knack for completing passes out of the back.

Also, Barklage and Patterson both made it to the MLS in the last five years and Barklage is still on the DC United roster.

And I'm sorry, but I'm pretty surprised with the writing used in all these articles. I've counted numerous grammatical mistakes which make me wonder if these articles were ever checked for errors?

"He never won a national championship but is only the Billiken in the last five years to go into the MLS."

Is going to MLS really a positive? Common now, MLS sucks. Being a coach at a top 10-15 ranked US College is more prestigious than the MLS.

Is going to MLS really a positive? Common now, MLS sucks. Being a coach at a top 10-15 ranked US College is more prestigious than the MLS.

No one is going to mistake the MLS for the EPL, but this is just silly. I'll chalk it up to you making a tongue-in-cheek comment.

Great to see several articles on SLU soccer. Keep it up. But....

Feedback on your Ream article:

"Ream left Saint Louis University with a reputation that preceded him. Known as an aggressive-but-quiet defender, he had several chances to leave college and pursue professional ball, yet he never tried out for the development programs. He never won a national championship but is only the Billiken in the last five years to go into the MLS."

Skip, correct me if I'm wrong on any of this, but I would not describe Ream as aggressive. He would play hard when he had to but aggressive was not something that came to mind when describing Tim's play. Maybe Calum Angus. Ream was cool, calm and collected with a soft touch, great defensive positioning sense, and a knack for completing passes out of the back.

Also, Barklage and Patterson both made it to the MLS in the last five years and Barklage is still on the DC United roster.

And I'm sorry, but I'm pretty surprised with the writing used in all these articles. I've counted numerous grammatical mistakes which make me wonder if these articles were ever checked for errors?

I'll second SLUBALLS on the thanks for the articles, but I'll also second him on the errors. I couldn't help but think to myself when reading the articles, do they get proofread these? No, I wouldn't have called him agressive. However, I'd say he played hard 100% of the time. There is a difference between hard and agressive. I'd say he was sometimes too aggressive for my tastes offensively choosing far too often to send the long ball downfield, but defensively I'd say his best trait was his ability to always remain composed and his feel for the game.

Also, McGinty didn't begin coaching the team in August which was stated in one article.

Two of the stories posted online are not the final copies that went in the paper. I'll have to let the EIC know that. Thanks for pointing that out. We do proof-read them three times, but some mistakes (like spelling Stephen Bortolon's last name wrong, as I did) don't get caught because the copy/editors don't know the athletes, or sports in general.

Thanks for the heads up, though.

Two of the stories posted online are not the final copies that went in the paper. I'll have to let the EIC know that. Thanks for pointing that out. We do proof-read them three times, but some mistakes (like spelling Stephen Bortolon's last name wrong, as I did) don't get caught because the copy/editors don't know the athletes, or sports in general.

Thanks for the heads up, though.

I don't mean to be to critical, as I really do appreciate the articles and your linking them here for us, but what about the fact checking such as McGinty began in August or Tim is the 1st Billiken drafted in 5 years. Shouldn't the writers insure such very basic info such as that is correct? When someone who knows the team and it's history read the articles and see info thats not just a misprint but a case of the writer not knowing the basic facts or history of the team .... for me, it tends to make me just disregard the articles in the publication.

The Ream mistake was mine. I checked the SLUBillikens.com webpage for the "currently in the MLS" players list and did some quick math as to when each played for the Billikens. So that error is my own.

One of the mis-run stories online is the McGinty piece. If that error about him taking the reigns in August made it into the paper (I don't think it did), then that fault is mine as an editor. My caveat (or excuse?) for that story is we had a freshman write it the week before school started as part of our introduction program. The article that she turned in to us originally was, well, not good. There were several glaring errors in there, plus the format was not correct (didn't follow house or AP rules). The reason I know that story online is not the finished copy is because I see some mistakes in it that I personally corrected. I'll have to check the print edition.

Honestly, there were a few mistakes that passed my eyes that I'm quite embarrassed about. This is my first year in editing pieces, and this was a huge project for us. I appreciate the feedback, though, truly.

Ream was an aggressive player at SLU. He just wasn't vocal about it. Ream said about 4 words in 4 years on the field or so it seemed. And, just about all were expletives, as Ream was a bit salty. Angus on the other hand was a chatterbox on the field,...and...happened to be an aggressive player as well.