Who will make the greatest difference from last year to this year?

bk18

The Billikens are predicted to improve by almost everyone...  

43 members have voted

1. 1. But who will make the greatest difference?

• THE RETURNING PLAYERS - the offseason for the returning players is going to be the greatest factor for their improvement. No longer the Billikids, the returning players are ready to take it to a new level with improved skills, strength, size, speed, and maturity.
    • THE RECRUITS- best recruiting class in a long time is going to fill the gaps we need. Loe, McCall, Evans, and Jett aren't going to be first team all-conference, but they are going make great contributions and allow KM, WR, KC etc. keep their minutes reasonable so they will be fresh and healthy.

Skip,

The Billikens return enough talent to make the NCAAs. I think with eight guys we should be able to get by. It wouldnt be ideal, but I think its enough to make do.

Also, without the incoming freshman class, maybe RM doesnt kick off JJ and that further helps our depth.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Skip,

The Billikens return enough talent to make the NCAAs. I think with eight guys we should be able to get by. It wouldnt be ideal, but I think its enough to make do.

Also, without the incoming freshman class, maybe RM doesnt kick off JJ and that further helps our depth.

Besides because you think so, explain how that would happen. What would the rotation look like and who would score?

What would you reasonably expect from CR, PE, and CS? How about BC?

unless they are total busts, loe for sure and at least one of the chicago kids will play. to not play would be a huge miss in recruiting as rickma and the asst's have not once hinted any of the three need to be redshirted or will need time to adjust to the college level. hell, he has stated numerous times that mccall is better than mitchell as a freshman. that's saying something.

my guess is that at least one returning guard and one returning forward will see their minutes drop drastically and be pushed towards the ever revolving door. based on the events of the last few seasons, i would guess that eckerle, salecich, remekun, and conklin have likely been given the now or never speech already.

and with this kind of depth, i am still scratching my head over signing jett. the guy must be good as the roster screams "we dont have the minutes" for him.

it will be interesting to see how this group of student athletes deals with playing time.

I agree with your thoughts on Jett. It doesn't make much sense unless he is going to be part of the rotation.

Besides because you think so, explain how that would happen. What would the rotation look like and who would score?

What would you reasonably expect from CR, PE, and CS? How about BC?

KM-35, KC-5

KC- 25, PE- 10, CS- 5

CE- 20, CS- 20

CR- 15, CE- 10, BC-15

WR-30, CR-10

KM- 16

WR-16

KC- 8

CE- 13

CS- 5

CR- 4

BC- 4

PE- 2

Thats 68 ppg

unless they are total busts, loe for sure and at least one of the chicago kids will play. to not play would be a huge miss in recruiting as rickma and the asst's have not once hinted any of the three need to be redshirted or will need time to adjust to the college level. hell, he has stated numerous times that mccall is better than mitchell as a freshman. that's saying something.

my guess is that at least one returning guard and one returning forward will see their minutes drop drastically and be pushed towards the ever revolving door. based on the events of the last few seasons, i would guess that eckerle, salecich, remekun, and conklin have likely been given the now or never speech already.

What a refreshing change from the past. In the old days, too many guys were 3-4 year starters and were never challenged for playing time. And too many others were basically career bench players - Troy Robertson, Larry Simmons, Justin Johnson, Bryce Husak. Now, players have to really compete for playing time because there are more talented players. There will be some talented playes who will have to be bench players for a couple of years before moving into the starting lineup as juniors. That's the way successful teams are built.

Why would Eckerle be given a now or never speech? He is a walk-on coming off an injury. Salecich and Remekun are only sophomores, why is it now or never? Conklin is a perfect example of the progress the program has made. I think of Luke Meyer and Chris Sloan from the past. They moved into the starting lineup as sophomores and then became entrenched starters as juniors and seniors, never really challenged for playing time. The opposite happened with Brian. He began as a freshman starter, but with more talent on the roster, he has become a role player.

KM-35, KC-5

KC- 25, PE- 10, CS- 5

CE- 20, CS- 20

CR- 15, CE- 10, BC-15

WR-30, CR-10

KM- 16

WR-16

KC- 8

CE- 13

CS- 5

CR- 4

BC- 4

PE- 2

Thats 68 ppg

It doesn't actually work like that as every player won't play every game, so that would be based upon no injuries and every player playing every game.

You're going to increase KM's minutes to 35 per game. He played 32.8 last year and was pretty beat. You're going to increase WR's to 30, what about the games where he gets in foul trouble? What are you going to do during those times when WR picks up his 2nd foul 6 minutes in?

You're going to double Cory's minutes but have him only score 4 ppg in 25 minutes?

Who's going to rebound?

You better hope Paul is good.

The problem with your reasoning is of all the players you listed, only KM, WR, and possibly CE are players that would start on most tourney teams minus the small conference champs. CS hasn't shown that he can compete at an average level in the A10. He shot 33% from the field and 24% from the 3. CR played 12 minutes per game and averaged just under 2 ppg and 2 rpg but you're wanting him to play 25 mpg at an NCAA tourney level. Paul is coming off of major surgery and was at best a role player when completely healthy before being injured, but you want him to play 10 mpg. BC hasn't shown the ability to score consistently inside or to rebound well. Far too many players would have to make remarkable improvements and you'd have to have a completely injury free season.

Hell, they could sign me up .... IF I could get 20 shots per game off and make all of them with half being from the 3, we'd be a tourney team.

It doesn't actually work like that as every player won't play every game, so that would be based upon no injuries and every player playing every game.

You're going to increase KM's minutes to 35 per game. He played 32.8 last year and was pretty beat. You're going to increase WR's to 30, what about the games where he gets in foul trouble? What are you going to do during those times when WR picks up his 2nd foul 6 minutes in?

You're going to double Cory's minutes but have him only score 4 ppg in 25 minutes?

Who's going to rebound?

You better hope Paul is good.

The problem with your reasoning is of all the players you listed, only KM, WR, and possibly CE are players that would start on most tourney teams minus the small conference champs. CS hasn't shown that he can compete at an average level in the A10. He shot 33% from the field and 24% from the 3. CR played 12 minutes per game and averaged just under 2 ppg and 2 rpg but you're wanting him to play 25 mpg at an NCAA tourney level. Paul is coming off of major surgery and was at best a role player when completely healthy before being injured, but you want him to play 10 mpg. BC hasn't shown the ability to score consistently inside or to rebound well. Far too many players would have to make remarkable improvements and you'd have to have a completely injury free season.

Hell, they could sign me up .... IF I could get 20 shots per game off and make all of them with half being from the 3, we'd be a tourney team.

If all your statements are accurate, we dont have much

If all your statements are accurate, we dont have much

If you're only counting returning players, you're right we don't have enough to be an NCAA tourney team.

Here's what we do have 2 all conference performers at 2 very important positions. We have a third player who averaged double digits despite coming on board mid season. After that we have no returning players who have proven to be anything more than role players and a couple that haven't shown that consistently.

Now the difference is we have a good recruiting class coming in. We have

MM who RM calls better than KM at this point in their careers.

RL who played better in international ball than CE and should be the tallest guy on our roster.

JJ who is described as a pg with great passing ability and a big strong body

DE who is an all around athlete

I guarantee you one of those guys and possibly 2 or 3 will play major roles decreasing the need for CR and CS to make such drastic improvement or for PE to come back completely healthy and play 10 mpg. It also gives us depth in case of injuries.

I agree with your thoughts on Jett. It doesn't make much sense unless he is going to be part of the rotation.

I don't know. Maybe RM sees him as a guy who can back up KM the next two years and take the starting role by his junior year. It's an insurance policy for the next two years and sets you up for the future. That's what many good programs do. Line up your classes so that when one leaves, the other is ready to take his place.

I don't know. Maybe RM sees him as a guy who can back up KM the next two years and take the starting role by his junior year. It's an insurance policy for the next two years and sets you up for the future. That's what many good programs do. Line up your classes so that when one leaves, the other is ready to take his place.

Although Majerussaid JJ was an "off-guard" so those two statements dont seem to fit.

bingo.

Jett gives us a back up to KM. If we want to be consistently good we have to have dependable players who have proven their worth ready to step in as players graduate.

As KM, WR, KC, and BC leave we will already have

With 3 years experience

CR, CE, CS

With 2 years

RL, MM, JJ, DE and JB

That's 2 bigs, 3 wings and 2 guards.

When those 4, the initial building blocks of the RM error leave, they will leave us in a position where we aren't looking to 3 new recruits to carry us forward.

Although Majerussaid JJ was an "off-guard" so those two statements dont seem to fit.

I never heard that. I've only seen JJ described as a true point guard with great passing ability

from espn

September, 2009: Jett is a stocky and strong lead guard with the instincts and savvy of a 30 year old veteran. He has great floor vision, pinpoint passing ability, and loves to throw the bounce pass. He isn't overly quick or athletic but changes speeds very well off the dribble to...

I guarantee you one of those guys and possibly 2 or 3 will play major roles decreasing the need for CR and CS to make such drastic improvement or for PE to come back completely healthy and play 10 mpg. It also gives us depth in case of injuries.

If PE is playing ten minutes per game, we're not an NCAA team.

The great thing is, we should be significantly better next year for both reasons. Personally, I believe our improvement is going to come more from the incoming class, as I think we'll have 2 freshman in our top 7 rotation, one of which will average at or near double figures. The silly thing is, even after next season, we may not be able to figure out which made the biggest difference from this year to next. Let's just say we make a huge jump next year and win the conference. Willie, realizes his potential and becomes a first round pick w/ averages of 17, 12, and 5, while KC finally develops a dead-eye 3-pt stroke. At the same time, MM and RL both make the conference All-Rookie team. We'll wonder the same thing next year - was it the improvement of returning players or the incoming class?

same, which made Majerus' remark somewhat strange

This was Majerus quote at the date of the signing.

"Jordair Jett's signing gives us a highly competitive and tough-minded, physical player," Majerus said. "Jordair has the ability to become a fantastic defender as well as get to the rim and take it to you from the perimeter. His athletic ability excites us, as does his passion for the game. Jordair sees the floor well. He is unselfish and should frequently be able to get to the free throw line."

To me, this quote suggest Majerus views him as a 1 more than a 2.

If PE is playing ten minutes per game, we're not an NCAA team.

The great thing is, we should be significantly better next year for both reasons. Personally, I believe our improvement is going to come more from the incoming class, as I think we'll have 2 freshman in our top 7 rotation, one of which will average at or near double figures. The silly thing is, even after next season, we may not be able to figure out which made the biggest difference from this year to next. Let's just say we make a huge jump next year and win the conference. Willie, realizes his potential and becomes a first round pick w/ averages of 17, 12, and 5, while KC finally develops a dead-eye 3-pt stroke. At the same time, MM and RL both make the conference All-Rookie team. We'll wonder the same thing next year - was it the improvement of returning players or the incoming class?

agreed. I didn't say PE would be playing 10 mpg. I was saying he won't and we won't need him to due to the incoming class.

Majerus also said he wasn't "a big Gay guy." He has more tongue slip-ups than [insert least favorite politician here].

Not to mention he still probably doesn't know what class Paul Eckerle is in.

http://www.kfns.com/pressbox.aspx?pn=12

"the Jordair Jett kid is a powerful guard, a strong guard. Plays Off-guard."

I think what he's saying there is that during team building excercises such as camping trips et al, he's a big powerful guard which will allow him to guard the Off. You need someone bigger and stronger, yet still quick in case you have to grab it and run. Besides, he's still new and unproven, if BC starts getting bit a lot and wants more than his share and over powers the Off guarder, he's expendable. No big loss. I agree with RM JJ is the perfect person to be the Off-guarder.

The problem with your reasoning is of all the players you listed, only KM, WR, and possibly CE are players that would start on most tourney teams minus the small conference champs.

Don't see how CE is on the edge. I thought CE was the second best player after he came in, which is amazing given all the time he missed. I would think he could easily be a starter on a lot of tourney teams. He could possibly lead us in scoring next year, depending on how selfish he is. He scored 10 pts a game on just occasional shots as the offense did run through him. Look at how much KM's scoring improved from his 1st year and he had to revamp his jumpshot. CE could put up 15-17 a game next year and if I was starting a team from scratch, the 1st player I would pick from the Bills would be Cody.

I agree with NH in that we have a lot back and they are the backbone of the team and that it is a good thing since we don't have to rely on freshmen starters for a change. However, RL could be a starter and at least one of the new guards will have to play a lot of minutes off the bench. Assume we have the same starters as last year, that means the 2 backup guards would be freshmen and the 1st backup big man would probably be Loe, which means the freshmen are still important.