Women's Soccer Team

Box and Won

A poster on the SLU forum on STLToday mentioned that two players on the women's soccer team have transferred and another quit the team.

What's going on with the program these days? It seems like after a few relatively successful years, the team has been pretty mediocre recently.

A poster on the SLU forum on STLToday mentioned that two players on the women's soccer team have transferred and another quit the team.

What's going on with the program these days? It seems like after a few relatively successful years, the team has been pretty mediocre recently.

Box. Are you sure you're not talking about the men's team?? :)

Just kidding as I keep waiting for Courtside's post-season analysis on DD. :)

I covered the women's soccer team off and on for The University News during two of their better years, one being the year before their back-to-back NCAA appearances, and the other being the first NCAA year. While I haven't followed the team nearly enough since I graduated, I might be able to give some insight.

Coach Champion put together a very good squad for a few years there by assembling a team made up of good players predominantly from St. Louis, many of whom had grown up playing together with the Busch Soccer Club. The class that completed their senior season at SLU in 2006 (graduated in 2007) was very strong, and those two NCAA trips coincided with their junior and senior years. If you look at the career leaders, someone from the Class of 2007 is found near the top of every statistical category, with the exception of goalkeeper. The classes on each side of them also had some very solid contributors as well. Courtney Hulcer was a 2 time All-American and probably the best player in the programs history. One thing to keep in mind is that St. Joseph's Academy had one of the best girls high school teams in the country a few years before, and SLU was able to bring in a few of those players, Hulcer included. All in all, they were able to able to bring in some really solid players that formed a great team for a few years.

Since I haven't been followed them as much in the last 3 years or so, I'm not sure if they haven't been able to put together the kind of recruiting class as they did with that Class of 2007, or if the players had the accolades in high school but just haven't produced on the field.

I covered the women's soccer team off and on for The University News during two of their better years, one being the year before their back-to-back NCAA appearances, and the other being the first NCAA year. While I haven't followed the team nearly enough since I graduated, I might be able to give some insight.

Coach Champion put together a very good squad for a few years there by assembling a team made up of good players predominantly from St. Louis, many of whom had grown up playing together with the Busch Soccer Club. The class that completed their senior season at SLU in 2006 (graduated in 2007) was very strong, and those two NCAA trips coincided with their junior and senior years. If you look at the career leaders, someone from the Class of 2007 is found near the top of every statistical category, with the exception of goalkeeper. The classes on each side of them also had some very solid contributors as well. Courtney Hulcer was a 2 time All-American and probably the best player in the programs history. One thing to keep in mind is that St. Joseph's Academy had one of the best girls high school teams in the country a few years before, and SLU was able to bring in a few of those players, Hulcer included. All in all, they were able to able to bring in some really solid players that formed a great team for a few years.

Since I haven't been followed them as much in the last 3 years or so, I'm not sure if they haven't been able to put together the kind of recruiting class as they did with that Class of 2007, or if the players had the accolades in high school but just haven't produced on the field.

You obviously didn't watch GK Megan Burke(sic) play, DeSmet. One of the best keepers in the country during her time at SLU.

I don't claim to be any sort of insider, but the connections I have place the blame squarely on the coach. He's not preparing the team to be a national power, and the players are getting frustrated and leaving.

Two words for womens soccer: 1) Who 2) Cares!

You obviously didn't watch GK Megan Burke(sic) play, DeSmet. One of the best keepers in the country during her time at SLU.

That's correct. I never saw Burke play. She had graduated by the time I covered the team. You could probably make a good argument that she is the best player in the program's history, though I think Hulcer belongs right up there with her.