Best Frosh so far..

booyaa87

With Non-conf wrapped up, its an interesting time to make an evaluation of our freshman. Who is exceeding expectations, who isn't what we expected, etc.

I'd have to say Jordan and Salecich are making the most impact so far. They are both averaging over 7ppg.

I personally like Jordan the most so far. I know his defense has been criticized, but I think he'll be able to improve on that. His ast/to ratio (1.3) of is the 2nd best on the team behind KM (1.4). In addition leads the team in 3pt% at 40% and has the 2nd most 3's made on the team.

CS has made the 2nd biggest impact. He is 3rd on the team in PPG and MPG as well as being our best Free throw shooter. With that said his overall shooting has to be considered a disappointment so far. 30.8 FG% and a brutal 25.8% from 3. To make things worse he has more turnovers than assists (23 to 30).

CR is next, his stats don't jump out at you, but he has done a nice job spelling WR and BC in the post. He has 18 blocks and has been a decent post defender, IMO.

JS has to be last but is on the rise based on the Bowling Green game. I think most would agree he has the most upside of the group. He is averaging over 1 block per game despite only averaging 7.8 minutes per dame. Hopefully we see more improvement from JS during conf play.

If you had to give this class a season to date letter grade what would it be? I am thinking C+ (IMO last years class was an A)

thoughts?

With Non-conf wrapped up, its an interesting time to make an evaluation of our freshman. Who is exceeding expectations, who isn't what we expected, etc.

I'd have to say Jordan and Salecich are making the most impact so far. They are both averaging over 7ppg.

I personally like Jordan the most so far. I know his defense has been criticized, but I think he'll be able to improve on that. His ast/to ratio (1.3) of is the 2nd best on the team behind KM (1.4). In addition leads the team in 3pt% at 40% and has the 2nd most 3's made on the team.

CS has made the 2nd biggest impact. He is 3rd on the team in PPG and MPG as well as being our best Free throw shooter. With that said his overall shooting has to be considered a disappointment so far. 30.8 FG% and a brutal 25.8% from 3. To make things worse he has more turnovers than assists (23 to 30).

CR is next, his stats don't jump out at you, but he has done a nice job spelling WR and BC in the post. He has 18 blocks and has been a decent post defender, IMO.

JS has to be last but is on the rise based on the Bowling Green game. I think most would agree he has the most upside of the group. He is averaging over 1 block per game despite only averaging 7.8 minutes per dame. Hopefully we see more improvement from JS during conf play.

If you had to give this class a season to date letter grade what would it be? I am thinking C+ (IMO last years class was an A)

thoughts?

Of course that C+ could be come an A if Ellis is anything close to what some are hoping for.

thoughts?

At this same time last year, I would have given our class a C. By the end of the year - B+?

The key to this class is improvement. You hope CS gets use to the speed of the game and settles down shooting the ball. JJ improves on D. CR and JS keep showing improvement. FJ's injury might limit him.

I will say that in terms of pure talent/potential, this class may be better than last year. It is hard to judge that because Willie's ceiling is so high.

At this same time last year, I would have given our class a C. By the end of the year - B+?

The key to this class is improvement. You hope CS gets use to the speed of the game and settles down shooting the ball. JJ improves on D. CR and JS keep showing improvement. FJ's injury might limit him.

I will say that in terms of pure talent/potential, this class may be better than last year. It is hard to judge that because Willie's ceiling is so high.

I meant "last year's class" instead of our class.

You mention FJ, I was lumping him in with last years class even though he is a frosh. I did forget JR but not worth mentioning I suppose since we've seen so little from him.

Last years class had Reed and Mitchell, two obvious stars and Conklin a solid role player. Then Cotto, Thompson, John and Cassity who all were borderline players. 2 of them are gone and John because of injuries and Cassity because of timidness have not shown much improvement.

This years class while without any huge stars have all been solid. Even Jeff Reid played well in limited time. For me every player in this class is a keeper. They have all contributed and all will be at the very least solid rotation players for 4 years.

For me Remuken has been the best. Strong defense and spelling minutes for Reed and Conklin that it turned out we desperately needed. Without Remuken contributing we would have a much worse record.

Salecich and Jordan have both had their ups and downs. Both have contributed but haven't been great.

Smith has shown flashes and obviously he needs the most development time of the group. He has steadily improved and who knows how good he will be by the end of the season.

Smith has shown flashes and obviously he needs the most development time of the group. He has steadily improved and who knows how good he will be by the end of the season.

Hopefully, he gets more mpg in the conf season. And RM stays patient with him.

I know everyone wants to grade the freshman and the 2nd year players but I think you guys are selling them short. As a whole they are the youngest team in Div1. I have been watching this program since I moved out here 10 + years ago. I think this young team has more potential then any team I have seen previously. RM is drawing talent...there can be no doubt about that. I think next year could be very interesting. As far as the rest of this year it will depend on how fast they learn and how healthy they are.

I know everyone wants to grade the freshman and the 2nd year players but I think you guys are selling them short. As a whole they are the youngest team in Div1. I have been watching this program since I moved out here 10 + years ago. I think this young team has more potential then any team I have seen previously. RM is drawing talent...there can be no doubt about that. I think next year could be very interesting. As far as the rest of this year it will depend on how fast they learn and how healthy they are.

Welcome to the board Jeff. We know how young they are. It looks like he's just wanting to have a discussion about their performance so far.

I don't think I could give a best. I'll call it a 3 way tie with CR, CS, and JJ. Most potential probably goes to JS. If he can develop the ability to put the ball on the floor and hit a 15 footer consistently he could be very good.

I know. It is just an observation. JJ seems to be having a lot of impact. CS has been a needed spark because of the team's free throw problems. I have been having a lot of fun watching them this year. My low point was watching them score 20 points against GW in 2008.

What impresses me about RM is his ability to evaluate talent. With the exception of Mitchell and Thompson, none of these players were that highly rgarded as recruits. For the most part we were competing against programs with 100+ RPIs to sign them, but they all seem to have talent and the potential to develope into solid contributors. If two more develope into stars we'll be a tournament team by the time they graduate.

What impresses me about RM is his ability to evaluate talent. With the exception of Mitchell and Thompson, none of these players were that highly rgarded as recruits. For the most part we were competing against programs with 100+ RPIs to sign them, but they all seem to have talent and the potential to develope into solid contributors. If two more develope into stars we'll be a tournament team by the time they graduate.

Considering the whipping Iowa State just took I would really like us to be able to beat them and KState every year even if

we don't play them.

Also if RM gets to go to the beach each year for holiday tournaments that would be a good way to attract fans to Cancun

and St. Thomas-much bettter than a bus trip to Evansville