Mike McCall

courtside

You are not. That is putting a lot of pressure on the kid and Perry was little taller.

yes, and I dont necisarily expect perry results. But two combo guards around the same height who like to penetrate. They even both play(ed) for the same aau team.

Am I the only one who thinks mccall sounds like a marque perry clone.

From the stats and the short video that was posted it looks to me like MM is a much better outside shooter than MP was at this point in his career. Perry never really shot the ball well from deep. At this point, in term of his ability to take it to the goal and finish KM reminds me a lot of Perry but he also is a much better outside shooter.

Villanova does pretty well with small guards. Stokes and Reynolds are pretty good. They even played four of them one year and advanced to the Elite Eight a few years ago.

Stokes is 6'5. Reynolds and Fisher have been their two "smaller" guards, about 6'1. And, Villanova made last years Final Four. Why did they?

In no particular order:

1) One of best FT shooting teams.

2) Rebounded the ball very well.

3) Balance...Dante Cunningham had a great season inside as a 6'8 interior player who could score rebound and even extend the D, to go along with solid guard play.

Lots of teams do well with a 3 guard offense.

And star recruit Yarou, a highly touted 6'10 frosh was just cleared to play after being out this year thus far with injury.

Young 79

Foreman 64

Game was much closer than that. Whitney Young is very good. This was the first time this year they have played up to their potential. Too much depth and size. Thompson didn't even play on Varsity last year, behind last year's group. He will get big looks, already has offers from Illinois and Ohio St. He's a 6'6 small forward. Johnson their two guard is headed to Purdue. And, the story of the night was the coming out party of their 6'8 Freshman center who had a huge game and gets better each game.

McCall showed very well and finished with 26 points.

The award he was given is the Farmer's Insurance Student athlete citizen award, a weekly award that combines on and off court activities. He is involved off the court and has a 3.2 gpa.

That is quite a performance against the top team in Chicago. When the staff says they think he will come in and be at least the equal if not better than Kwamain, I believe it. There will be great competition for playing time at guard next year. Also good to hear he is doing a nice job in the classroom, and Evans sounds like an outstanding student as well.

That is quite a performance against the top team in Chicago. When the staff says they think he will come in and be at least the equal if not better than Kwamain, I believe it. There will be great competition for playing time at guard next year. Also good to hear he is doing a nice job in the classroom, and Evans sounds like an outstanding student as well.

a 31 on the ACT for a stud student athlete is SICK WID IT!!!!!! i expect both kids will be hosses.

yes, and I dont necisarily expect perry results. But two combo guards around the same height who like to penetrate. They even both play(ed) for the same aau team.

Perry was almost out of control quick

Stokes is 6'5. Reynolds and Fisher have been their two "smaller" guards, about 6'1. And, Villanova made last years Final Four. Why did they?

In no particular order:

1) One of best FT shooting teams.

2) Rebounded the ball very well.

3) Balance...Dante Cunningham had a great season inside as a 6'8 interior player who could score rebound and even extend the D, to go along with solid guard play.

Lots of teams do well with a 3 guard offense.

And star recruit Yarou, a highly touted 6'10 frosh was just cleared to play after being out this year thus far with injury.

they made the elite eight a few years back with a "four guard" offense with Foye being the biggest of the four at 6'3"

U.Conn won a national title with a backcourt of Ricky Moore at 6'1" and El-Amin at 5'10"

BC nearly made a Final Four with John Bagley 5'11" and Michael Adams, who was about 5'8" I remember seeing them here in St. Louis years ago.

UNLV wasn't too bad either with 6'0" Greg Anthony and 6'1" Anderson Hunt in the backcourt. I believe they won something like 46 straight games.

Of course, we all remember N.C. State's Valvano team that won the whole thing with Lowe and Wittenburg, who were both 6 feet tall.

The list of teams that win in college bball, at all levels, with small guards is almost endless. Spoon used to have the smallest backcourts in college ball, but always seemed to get to the tournament andcreate problems.

I remember one year, he had Darryl Reid, who was about 6 feet and Arnold Bernard, who was 5-3.

If you have guards who can play, regardless of size, you are going to win a lot of games. Of course, everyone would like to have talented big guards, but as I've pointed out, it isn't always essential.

they made the elite eight a few years back with a "four guard" offense with Foye being the biggest of the four at 6'3"

U.Conn won a national title with a backcourt of Ricky Moore at 6'1" and El-Amin at 5'10"

BC nearly made a Final Four with John Bagley 5'11" and Michael Adams, who was about 5'8" I remember seeing them here in St. Louis years ago.

UNLV wasn't too bad either with 6'0" Greg Anthony and 6'1" Anderson Hunt in the backcourt. I believe they won something like 46 straight games.

Of course, we all remember N.C. State's Valvano team that won the whole thing with Lowe and Wittenburg, who were both 6 feet tall.

The list of teams that win in college bball, at all levels, with small guards is almost endless. Spoon used to have the smallest backcourts in college ball, but always seemed to get to the tournament andcreate problems.

I remember one year, he had Darryl Reid, who was about 6 feet and Arnold Bernard, who was 5-3.

If you have guards who can play, regardless of size, you are going to win a lot of games. Of course, everyone would like to have talented big guards, but as I've pointed out, it isn't always essential.

I echo your thoughts completely. All things being equal skillwise, with guards, I will always pick the quicker one over the bigger one. Now frontcourt players, that might be a different story.

Ricky Moore led the Big East in assist to turnover ratio that year. (must have been nice passing to Rip Hamilton, and co.)

Sidney Lowe is still the assist to turnover ratio leader of the ACC. He had 8 assists in that title game and even his high school coach Morgan Wooten called him a coach on the floor.

Greg Anthony was the leader of the UNLV teams and he averaged 7, 8, and 9 assists per season in his time there.

Anderson Hunt left his Junior before being converted into a point guard.

Nobody is saying teams can't have a several guard lineup. It happens all the time. In today's game, the big boys like length and quickness and ability all rolled into one and they go for those players first. The smaller guards are usually true points, not always and they are often the best of the bunch. Of course smaller league players are going to have smaller guards sometimes or not as athletic etc...and sometimes those players and teams on a given day can beat bigger teams. Siena is a good recent example of that. They aren't playing the big boys to get into the tourney night in and night out.

If you are going to have a smaller backcourt, the players need to be very good and have a good supporting cast.

Back to the topic, McCall is a good player and prospect for SLU and he'll play plenty next year at the same time as KM because until SLU's other guards improve (or not) it will not take him long to surpass them on the depth chart. He raises SLU's level of speed and athleticism. His jumper will get mild tweaking and he will work on his d and strength etc...but he has the opportunity be every bit as good as KM if not better as he progresses at SLU. For now he is a solid recruit who will get some minutes his first season and increase SLU's depth and talent levels.