OT: World Cup Draw

moytoy12

Sucks to be Group G

I don't think you can possibly complain about our draw. If we don't make the 2nd round, it'll be sad.

I haven't followed the qualifying that closely, but it would appear to me at first glance that the slots aren't divvied up very well. How do 3 Asian teams ranked outside of the top 40 get in while teams like Croatia, Russia, Ukraine, and the Czech Republic sit at home. For those of you that follow it more closely are the FIFA rankings that poor?

I don't think you can possibly complain about our draw. If we don't make the 2nd round, it'll be sad.

I haven't followed the qualifying that closely, but it would appear to me at first glance that the slots aren't divvied up very well. How do 3 Asian teams ranked outside of the top 40 get in while teams like Croatia, Russia, Ukraine, and the Czech Republic sit at home. For those of you that follow it more closely are the FIFA rankings that poor?

There are only a certain number of teams that make it from each federation. Europe gets the lions share of qualifiers, with CONCACAF, CONMEBOL, and Africa taking up most of the others. Asia and Oceania don't send as many.

Russia had their chance, they just lost to Slovenia (!) in their tie-breaker match.

My team, the Netherlands, looks to cruise to the final 8. I'm pretty pleased, although I know infighting has plagued them and they've underperformed in past international tournaments.

USA got a really favorable draw, but nothing is guaranteed.

There are only a certain number of teams that make it from each federation. Europe gets the lions share of qualifiers, with CONCACAF, CONMEBOL, and Africa taking up most of the others. Asia and Oceania don't send as many.

Russia had their chance, they just lost to Slovenia (!) in their tie-breaker match.

My team, the Netherlands, looks to cruise to the final 8. I'm pretty pleased, although I know infighting has plagued them and they've underperformed in past international tournaments.

USA got a really favorable draw, but nothing is guaranteed.

"There are only two things I can't stand in this world: People who are intollerant of other peoples' cultures, and the Dutch."

As a dual citizen of the netherlands, it's shocking how often I hear that phrase.

I've never heard that before, where does it come from? I spent many weekends in Holland in the late 80's and found them to be by far the friendliest people to Americans on the continent.