How far will RM take us?

This will be a very tough year. Mitchell can't carry the team by himself and he has no proven help. My guess is 12-13 wins and a sub .500 season. How can anyone expect more? We have no one with the experience and talent of Kevin or Tommie coming back. The freshman may have talent but certainly are not ready to fill their shoes. We will also miss Barry's experience. By the way, does anyone else find it interesting that Kevin struggled for 2 years to produce under RM and now is getting multiple tryouts by NBA teams. Did RM hurt both him and Tommie?

2010-11 will be RM's last year if not this year. I also believe he will leave voluntarily without any pressue and use health or burnout as the reason. 2010 - 2011 team could be decent if there are no transfers after this season and that's a big if. I still maintain we are losing 1 more player this summer/fall, not neccessarily transferring out on his own. Discipline........................................

No proven help...no one with the experiene... talent but certainly not ready to fill their shoes...miss Barry's experience... Slum. We get the point: we will be young and unproven. At the same time, young and unproven does not equal 12 to 13 wins. Not saying that our roster compares with Michigan's Fab 5 but that was young and unproven team which made it to the NCAA Finals.

Experience and good guard play are definitely important in college ball. At the same time, talent and depth also are important. In the past, we have had some proven, experience guys with good talent to lead our team. Recent names like TL, KL, LM, IV and Marquee Perry come to mind. At the same time, all of these teams also lacked talented depth. For years, SLU basketball has been all about struggling while rebuilding with young talent and then having some success with upperclass talent but not enough succuss due to lack of depth. When our stars don't play well, for whatever reason such as b/c they are tired/worn down, unfavorable matchups, sick, personal problems or just a bad game, we would lose -- end of story.

While we lack experience (and I agree that KM cannot and will not be able to carry the team the whole year), I do see a team with more true D1 talent than ever and a team with attitudes and styles more suitable to RM and his offense. When you couple these traits along with the fact that we play in the A10 (not the Big East) and that our OOC schedule will not be overly tough, I just don't see 12 wins. When these same guys come back the following year with another year of experience under their belts that what will make the 2010-2011 year special. To conclude that we will win only 12 years in 2009-2010 is just not right.

So I give an honest assessment and some on here call me a hater. If you like I can start posting that we will win 22-25 games next year and make the big dance. I could, but it wouldn't change anything. Every year other fans, and you can look back and see I have done the same, come on here and write what they hope for and not what is realistic.

Raw talent next year, yup. 20 wins and the NIT nope. But as I said in my previous post, 2010-11 if we can keep everyone, we will see a turn around.

So I give an honest assessment and some on here call me a hater. If you like I can start posting that we will win 22-25 games next year and make the big dance. I could, but it wouldn't change anything. Every year other fans, and you can look back and see I have done the same, come on here and write what they hope for and not what is realistic.

Raw talent next year, yup. 20 wins and the NIT nope. But as I said in my previous post, 2010-11 if we can keep everyone, we will see a turn around.

But you already said we were not keeping everyone. According to you a player we are counting on is transfering out. Did you already forget about that?

But you already said we were not keeping everyone. According to you a player we are counting on is transfering out. Did you already forget about that?

"2010-11 if we can keep everyone, we will see a turn around"

I was not very clear. What I was tring to say was if we could keep everyone next year. It is already a given that one more of last year's freshmen will not be playing this year barring a miracle.

Skip, I can tell you that the workout Kevin had last week was no result of anything RM did. Honestly can't tell you about others.

Most of the NBA teams publicize their workouts on twitter. I didn't see Kevin's name for any workouts today. He did work out for the Pacers last week along with Tyrese Rice and Aaron Jackson. You can see a short post practice interview with Kevin here. In the interview he said it was his first NBA workout.

Skip, I can tell you that the workout Kevin had last week was no result of anything RM did. Honestly can't tell you about others.

You know all the contacts RM makes behind the scenes? It wouldn't be the first time RM put himself out there for a player looking for a job. Last year he even made passionate pleas on the radio for prospective employers to consider a couple of graduating Bills, something I had never heard a coach do before and something the RM haters never acnowledge. It wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that he had made some behind the scenes contacts on Kevin's behalf. Not to be a jerk, but I'm not sure that you would know if he had or not.

unless .... are you Doc Rivers?

Slum. I will agree that RM is not an easy man to play for, that he is "old school", that he may "step over the line" at times, that his mouth sometimes moves faster than his brain and that he may be stubborn in implementing his system for the future over implementing a system which may have been best for TL and KL. Also, I would agree that their individual stats would have been better (more points and rebounds but not more wins) and their place in Billiken history would be greater had Brad stayed all 4 years. At the same time, I simply disagree that TL and KL would be better basketball players today if Brad had been their/our coach all 4 years.

Under RM, both KL and TL were asked/required to change their games and to play different roles than required under Brad. Few are better at slipping the defense and then setting up "alone" for the outside shot than KL. And few are better creating on their own than TL. Each of them still have these skills even if they were not utilized enough while wearing the Billiken uniform for RM. Not that either of them did not have some opportunities and not that either of them failed to contribute, but both are better basketball players having further developed parts of their games which are not their strengths. Both are less "one-dimensional" than they were under Brad and both have developed their entire games which now make them more attractive to the professional ranks.

Comments like "the workout Kevin had last week was no result of anything RM did" is simply not reality. Whether they (or you) liked RM or not, he was their coach for half their college ball and each learned quite abit under RM.