NIT Selection

moytoy12

Almost 50% (15 -of-32) of the NIT bids went to BCS teams. More proof that the rich get richer. Two A10 teams (Duquesne and Rhode Island) got in. I know the Dukes are a seven seed meaning they were in teams 24 to 28 and Rhodey might be a six seed meaning teams 20 to 25. Interesting that in the rankings, they were kind enough to rank Creighton and San Diego State as #1 seeds but even though St. Mary's got a #2 seed, they put them in the same bracket as San Diego State meaning only one of those will advance. If Creighton wins its first game and Kentucky does theirs, that sets up an interesting Creighton/UK match that will cause arguments on vindication if the Valley beats the mighty BCS-SEC.

We are too hurt to play any more. While I first thought getting more experience for our freshmen would be good, I know think, after seeing them in AC, that it might actually kill them. Body parts would jsut fall off Reed, Mitchell and Conklin. The future still looks bright.

Almost 50% (15 -of-32) of the NIT bids went to BCS teams. More proof that the rich get richer. Two A10 teams (Duquesne and Rhode Island) got in. I know the Dukes are a seven seed meaning they were in teams 24 to 28 and Rhodey might be a six seed meaning teams 20 to 25. Interesting that in the rankings, they were kind enough to rank Creighton and San Diego State as #1 seeds but even though St. Mary's got a #2 seed, they put them in the same bracket as San Diego State meaning only one of those will advance. If Creighton wins its first game and Kentucky does theirs, that sets up an interesting Creighton/UK match that will cause arguments on vindication if the Valley beats the mighty BCS-SEC.

We are too hurt to play any more. While I first thought getting more experience for our freshmen would be good, I know think, after seeing them in AC, that it might actually kill them. Body parts would jsut fall off Reed, Mitchell and Conklin. The future still looks bright.

Looking over the NIT brackets, I suspect they put San Diego State and St. Mary's together in the de facto Western Regional, probably to partially save on travel costs. Weber State and Washington State are also in this bracket. They may have given San Diego State the #1 seed and St. Mary's the #2 because if they play each other, San Diego State has the much bigger venue, Cox Arena, i.e. $$$. SMC's McKeon Pavilion is a glorified high school gym, capacity 3,500. San Diego State had the better RPI vis-a-vis SMC, 34 to 48, but SMC beat SDSU on a neutral court in Anaheim.

Per info at valleytalk.net, it looks like Bradley is hosting a game in the new CIT, and Wichita State (16-16) is hosting a game in the CBI. There is also info from Bradley that the CBI charges a $60,000 guarantee (evidently to play at home) and the CIT charges less than half that, $28,000. A Bradley official said it was difficult for Bradley to recoup that guarantee last year and Bradley needed to keep playing (which it did, making that final 2 out of 3 series).

It is a moot point now, but for what it's worth, by my grid, SLU's RPI of 123 would have qualified SLU for the final bid to either the CBI or CIT. That assumes that the CBI would not have taken one of the 3 sub-.500 teams with RPI's better than SLU- 114 Virginia, 119 Texas Tech, and 121 Iowa. But last year the CBI sent 13-18 Cincinnati on the road to Peoria to play Bradley. I suspect that if SLU wanted a CBI or CIT bid, it could have had one.

Looking over the NIT brackets, I suspect they put San Diego State and St. Mary's together in the de facto Western Regional, probably to partially save on travel costs. Weber State and Washington State are also in this bracket. They may have given San Diego State the #1 seed and St. Mary's the #2 because if they play each other, San Diego State has the much bigger venue, Cox Arena, i.e. $$$. SMC's McKeon Pavilion is a glorified high school gym, capacity 3,500. San Diego State had the better RPI vis-a-vis SMC, 34 to 48, but SMC beat SDSU on a neutral court in Anaheim.

Per info at valleytalk.net, it looks like Bradley is hosting a game in the new CIT, and Wichita State (16-16) is hosting a game in the CBI. There is also info from Bradley that the CBI charges a $60,000 guarantee (evidently to play at home) and the CIT charges less than half that, $28,000. A Bradley official said it was difficult for Bradley to recoup that guarantee last year and Bradley needed to keep playing (which it did, making that final 2 out of 3 series).

It is a moot point now, but for what it's worth, by my grid, SLU's RPI of 123 would have qualified SLU for the final bid to either the CBI or CIT. That assumes that the CBI would not have taken one of the 3 sub-.500 teams with RPI's better than SLU- 114 Virginia, 119 Texas Tech, and 121 Iowa. But last year the CBI sent 13-18 Cincinnati on the road to Peoria to play Bradley. I suspect that if SLU wanted a CBI or CIT bid, it could have had one.

I think RM has had a long term committment to do a "Bracketology" at the MAC tomorrow evening-would be interesting to go just for the one line ad libs and secret info on the 1-2 guard he is working on possibly from Australia I think I read here.

I didn`t know it tell they said it tv,but the Gaels won 13 road games! I know I am biased,but man.

Looked to see where 26-8 College of Charleston landed,and they didn`t get an NIT bid,they are playing in the CBI.Oregon State is playing in the CBI with their 13-17 record.

I have no idea why you persist in saying that SLU would have been offered. It may be possible as both tournaments use screwy criteria (any willing payer apparently) but neither St. Joe's nor LaSalle are in either tournament but Richmond is. The CBI chose plenty of below .500 teams (I am sure its merely coincidence that they are from BCS conferences) and the CIT filled up with the best midmajors it could find (I don't know if no one in the A-10 was interested or CIT was not interested in them).

Also, for all those who think the CBI or CIT are not a joke please read more. I have no problem with playing in tournaments outside the NCAA but they have to have at least a modicum of respectability competition-wise. The CBI, as you note above, is a steep pay to play (and they get TV money). The people who run the CBI also make money doing PR/consulting for coaches. The whole thing smacks of conflicts of interest and shady dealing. The CIT just smacks of desperation and it seemed nobody wanted to play. The CIT is also using the unfair practice of reseeding after each round (so they craft as carefully as they want their final apparently). They basically have no TV (well the finals are on FCS). There may be some value for athletic teams (although I don't think it is that large and there are negatives) to keep playing but the schools are being fleeced. I have no idea if SLU put any thought in their decision not to accept but I would not want any part of these tournaments as the exist now.

I didn`t know it tell they said it tv,but the Gaels won 13 road games! I know I am biased,but man.

Looked to see where 26-8 College of Charleston landed,and they didn`t get an NIT bid,they are playing in the CBI.Oregon State is playing in the CBI with their 13-17 record.

St. John's (16-17) is also in the CBI and playing at Richmond.

Bradley, Evansville, and Drake, yes Drake, are in the CIT. Wichita State (16-16) is in the CBI.

Went to C O Charleston`s website,and there it said that Richmond has an inside on the CBI and will always get a bid.That is probably why they are home.