Billiken scheduling for 2004-05 season

Drejaj told us last night that it is his understanding that we will be playing at Duke next season.

I am completely speculating, but perhaps this is designed so that SLU will have a big-time game lined up to open the new arena. It obviously doesn't get any bigger than Duke, and for the right price Duke would probably be willing to play a game in St. Louis.

What a great pitch to sell to recruits: you will get to open a brand new arena on national TV against Duke.

just recently, when asked on his radio show if we had any chicago area recruits at our game at depaul, coach soderberg said the ncaa does not allow you to comp tix and schedule visits with prospective recruits on road games. plus, hansborough is a junior, so if the deal is a return trip the following year, that would be hansborough's freshman season. of course coach k may be assuming he will win the hansborough sweepstakes and planning to grant tyler his return trip or could be using that as a tool to seal the deal with tyler.

someone told me at the shootout that if the "feelers" let him believe he was at least a late lottery pick, he would indeed skip college completely. to be honest, other than physical strength, he can do anything that super rookie, lebron can do plus he is a better passer already. there are far worse point guards getting playing time in the nba than shawn livingston.

we've missed the target date for opening the new arena in time for the start of the 2000-06 season and who knows when SLU will have enough raised so that they can break ground.

Plus, there is NO WAY Coach K would schedule Duke to be the first opponent for the opening of the new arena. Duke rarely plays road games that are on-campus. If Duke comes to St. Louis they play at Savvis or the Dome.

>Plus, there is NO WAY Coach K would schedule Duke to be the

>first opponent for the opening of the new arena. Duke

>rarely plays road games that are on-campus. If Duke comes

>to St. Louis they play at Savvis or the Dome.

I'd have to agree with Billiken Law on this point. If we got a game in STL with Duke, it would probably be Savvis or the Dome. Still would be sweet.

>we've missed the target date for opening the new arena in

>time for the start of the 2000-06 season and who knows when

>SLU will have enough raised so that they can break ground.

Last night, Woolard gave the impression that the current demolition taking place represents an unofficial ground breaking. Also, Drejaj said that he has been told that the arena will be ready during the 2005-2006 season. I am not raising these points to argue your comments; if you have more specific or accurate information about the arena project, then please share it. We would all like to know what is really going on with the arena.

>Plus, there is NO WAY Coach K would schedule Duke to be the

>first opponent for the opening of the new arena. Duke

>rarely plays road games that are on-campus. If Duke comes

>to St. Louis they play at Savvis or the Dome.

Basketbill's post above suggests that Duke has schedule at least nine true home and homes over the last several season. Based upon anticipated attendance and recent success, I would think that SLU could offer Duke financial guarantees at least equal to those provided by Portland, Georgetown, and Boston College.

you obviously havent seen livingston play. but if you reread my comparison, i admitted the difference is physical strength as lebron has a body that is years advanced of a normal teenager. it is like he is already 28 years old.

but as far as skills, i have seen livingston do everything else bebron does as far as jumping, shooting, scoring, making the games happen, etc. and like i said, livingston is a better passer.

>Last night, Woolard gave the impression that the current

>demolition taking place represents an unofficial ground

>breaking. Also, Drejaj said that he has been told that the

>arena will be ready during the 2005-2006 season. I am not

>raising these points to argue your comments; if you have

>more specific or accurate information about the arena

>project, then please share it. We would all like to know

I was told that for the arena to be ready for the 05-06 season construction would have had to begun last week. The fact that another firm has been brought in and the talk of whether or not to include a practice facility indicates to me that some more planning must take place before construction can start. Finally, funds are not where they need to be for the bank to allow construction to go ahead.

>Basketbill's post above suggests that Duke has schedule at

>least nine true home and homes over the last several season.

> Based upon anticipated attendance and recent success, I

>would think that SLU could offer Duke financial guarantees

>at least equal to those provided by Portland, Georgetown,

>and Boston College.

Portland was a neutral site game at the Rose Garden - that's the way Duke normally operates. They wouldn't play Illinois or DePaul at their arenas, only at the United Center - they did the same with Stanford playing in Oakland. I am not sure if they played BC at the Conte Forum or at the Fleet Center. Also, G-town draws so poorly that Duke has a majority of fans (plus they have a ton of alums in the DC area) - same deal with playing at St. John's. The only reason they continue to play at Michigan is as a favor to Tommy Amaker. The previous games at UM were the result of contracts signed before Coach K decided they would not play on the campus of other schools.

A team we should schedule - Princeton. I had no idea until recently that St. Louis is their 2nd largest alumni base.

"A team we should schedule - Princeton. I had no idea until recently that St. Louis is their 2nd largest alumni base."

I agree. Princeton usually has a decent RPI and is discplined on offense and defense. Also, as we already know, there are some pretty good players in New Jersey that get overlooked by the BCS conferences.