RM & the Billikens

slcute

Post Preview

Hey,

I'm a University of Utah fan. I know none of you probably care about what I have to say with respect to the Billikens but I can tell you this: RM is building a program here. And one that is going to win consistently. He is all about breaking players down and insisting that they play his way. And he'll sacrifice wins in the short term to do it. He doesn't give a ######. He has a system. It works and it wins. Yes, some players will not succeed in the system. But those who stick in it thrive.

The billikids, including Conklin, Mitchell and Reed will be fabulous in two years. This year's team was bastardized. Essentially a three guard lineup without significant inside / outside play. It limited scoring in the motion offense and also limited man-to-man defense. Rick needs a 4 who can go inside /out and a five who can dominate the boards. He still needs a couple of pieces (which he seems to have landed). But Mitchell will be a star. Reed will be all league and Conklin will develop into a AJ type player. I've spoke with a lot of people about this year's class, and it's better than last years. It will continue to get better. And better and better.

Rick could have signed a couple of JUCOs and won right away. That's not how he does it. He may do so here and there after his program is in place. But generally he'll avoid it. Looks like you may land a transfer this year too (good player).

You'll see ups and downs next year. It's too hard to win on the road with so many young players. The year after that you'll win the A-10 and go dancing....

I hope you drill Xavier tomorrow. It's a large task because of the matchup problems. But not impossible.

slcute

RM reminds me of Gene Hackmans character in Hoosiers.

Hackman says "well im going to break them down and build them back up."

I think thats how RM does things.

Does it work for everyone? No.

But if players buy into it they are going to come out of the program better at basketball and better people

Post Preview

Hey,

I'm a University of Utah fan. I know none of you probably care about what I have to say with respect to the Billikens but I can tell you this: RM is building a program here. And one that is going to win consistently. He is all about breaking players down and insisting that they play his way. And he'll sacrifice wins in the short term to do it. He doesn't give a ######. He has a system. It works and it wins. Yes, some players will not succeed in the system. But those who stick in it thrive.

The billikids, including Conklin, Mitchell and Reed will be fabulous in two years. This year's team was bastardized. Essentially a three guard lineup without significant inside / outside play. It limited scoring in the motion offense and also limited man-to-man defense. Rick needs a 4 who can go inside /out and a five who can dominate the boards. He still needs a couple of pieces (which he seems to have landed). But Mitchell will be a star. Reed will be all league and Conklin will develop into a AJ type player. I've spoke with a lot of people about this year's class, and it's better than last years. It will continue to get better. And better and better.

Rick could have signed a couple of JUCOs and won right away. That's not how he does it. He may do so here and there after his program is in place. But generally he'll avoid it. Looks like you may land a transfer this year too (good player).

You'll see ups and downs next year. It's too hard to win on the road with so many young players. The year after that you'll win the A-10 and go dancing....

I hope you drill Xavier tomorrow. It's a large task because of the matchup problems. But not impossible.

slcute

is your name Keith Van Horn?

You love him or hate him. There are many more who love him. The guy is a winner. Embrace him. Fill up the arena.

You guys are gonna have a helluva run. I know it's hard waiting. But it will come.

Winning doesn't happen overnight. But the Billikens will be on the map with RM at the helm.

Ha Ha. Everyone talks about the Van Horn's and Miller's and Doleac's under Majerus. Yes, he needed great players.

But what makes the difference with Rick is what happens to guys like Conklin. The become the difference makers.

You'll see.

Welcome aboard.

I think everyone here would agree with your assessment. I think we'd all have wished Rick had more to work with right away to go along with Tommie and Kevin (and Barry of late) to get them to post season......

Ive always been a big BE fan. He's a good role player that is needed to win.

It was always amazing to me to hear the people seated around me trash this guy. And it wasnt the come to one game a year crowd, it was fans who were at every game like myself. I think people just expected more for some reason. It was nice to hear later in the year people give him some credit for the work he does.

slcute, I will also offer my welcome. I happen to agree with you and also feel our team is headed in the right direction with Coach Majerus. I will be very surprised if he does not have the Billikens in the Big Dance within the next couple years.

Post Preview

Hey,

slcute

This is funny, I'm watching SLC Punk as we speak. Thanks for the kind words, I agree.