Dirt on Kent State?

I struggled finding dirt on the rest of the roster but here is some more detailed stuff on Tyree Evans:

2004: Didn't have the grades to get into Cincinnati (didn't know that was possible during Huggins' tenure), so he was forced to go to prep school.

2005: Evans and 4 of his prep school teamates were charged with statutory rape of a girl that was either 14 or 15 years old (he was 19 at the time). This case ended in 2006 with him pleading guilty to a lesser charge of assault and battery. He received two years probation.

Later in 2005: While these rape charges are pending, he is charged with felony possession of Marijuana with intent to distribute. He plead guilty to a lesser charge and was sentenced to 12 months in prison with 11 months suspended.

Later again in 2005: More possession of marijuana charges.

2006: Evans found trespassing in Richmond.

2007: Dismissed from Butler Community College team for his conduct.

Later in 2007: Served two weeks for his first marijuana charge.

2008: Finally walked-on the Kent State team.

If he's not playing because of eligibility issues (according to TT, it could be a long night for him sitting on the bench with the student section having this wealth of knowledge).

http://www.ohio.com/sports/32312069.html

I lied...I found more stuff on one of their stars, Chris Singletary.

Arrested in September for violating a noise ordinance after being warned. In this incident he was also charged with resisting arrest...he suffered shoulder and wrist injuries in the incident.

OVI (same as DUI but in Ohio) arrest last January.

Last March he was charged with nuisance party regulations.

Arrested last April for driving under DUI suspension.

http://www.ohioverticals.com/blogs/kent_st...rrested-sunday/

And some more stuff on junior Frank Henry-Ala:

Arrested for DUI in August...hearing is on December 9th (he might need to be reminded of this)

Tyree Evans tried to get into Maryland for this year as well. Seems Gary Williams took a lot of heat over the rape charge. Gary then claimed he didn't know. the local papers came down hard on Williams .... "what do you mean, you don't know?" "In a time when just about eveything on everybody is not only well-known, but its on YouTube, you claim you don't know?" "How can that be?"

It was more a tempest over Williams here than Evan because the heat is on Gary because despite winning a national title in this decade and going to another Final Four, the answer to what have you done lately is not good. And his current roster doesn't look well either. So getting Evans was stop-gap at best. So too was a kid who's name escapes me but he went to South Florida (I think) and then transfered to Maryland but something else came up and I think he's enrolled and playing at Virginia Tech. In any case, these are the trials here near College Park and Evans was a part of it for a while this past summer.

Kid's got baggage to say the least. Sounds like the whole roster likes to party and make some noise. Like none of me or my college buddies did that. I'd be hard-pressed to spend any time bashing a kid for an issue like rape. There's a time for that sure, but I don't think its in a college basketball arena amongst mixed company.

How...how is this even possible? That is really impressive.

Under Cronin, it would be realistic- he's spent as much of his first few years digging the Bearcats out of the GPA hole/restoring the APR after penalties as actually coaching basketball. Under Huggins, not being accepted for grades is truly an achievement in its own right.

Tyree Evans tried to get into Maryland for this year as well. Seems Gary Williams took a lot of heat over the rape charge. Gary then claimed he didn't know. the local papers came down hard on Williams .... "what do you mean, you don't know?" "In a time when just about eveything on everybody is not only well-known, but its on YouTube, you claim you don't know?" "How can that be?"

It was more a tempest over Williams here than Evan because the heat is on Gary because despite winning a national title in this decade and going to another Final Four, the answer to what have you done lately is not good. And his current roster doesn't look well either. So getting Evans was stop-gap at best. So too was a kid who's name escapes me but he went to South Florida (I think) and then transfered to Maryland but something else came up and I think he's enrolled and playing at Virginia Tech. In any case, these are the trials here near College Park and Evans was a part of it for a while this past summer.

Kid's got baggage to say the least. Sounds like the whole roster likes to party and make some noise. Like none of me or my college buddies did that. I'd be hard-pressed to spend any time bashing a kid for an issue like rape. There's a time for that sure, but I don't think its in a college basketball arena amongst mixed company.

Dont worry taj I'll keep it classy :lol:

Under Cronin, it would be realistic- he's spent as much of his first few years digging the Bearcats out of the GPA hole/restoring the APR after penalties as actually coaching basketball. Under Huggins, not being accepted for grades is truly an achievement in its own right.

you do know that huggins won the cusa academic award for the basketball programs two years in a row in the early part of this decade?

huggy was indeed horrible with the academics in the early to mid 90's, however the grades went up considerable thereafter and like i said, they had the highest gpa amongst basketball programs two years in a row before cusa broke up.

you do know that huggins won the cusa academic award for the basketball programs two years in a row in the early part of this decade?

huggy was indeed horrible with the academics in the early to mid 90's, however the grades went up considerable thereafter and like i said, they had the highest gpa amongst basketball programs two years in a row before cusa broke up.

I actually am aware of that because that's when I was at SLU- and was completely shocked by it. But anyone could tell you that it was just smoke and mirrors. Those Huggins players had to do a great deal less work than regular students in their classes, and had plenty of people looking out for them to make sure they got what they needed. I used to work with a girl who was on UC's dance team and dated a couple players that played for Huggins; she laughs about how little they actually had to do.

As soon as Huggins left and Cronin came in, it was clear that these guys weren't real students and a lot weren't going to graduate. You can fake a GPA under a coach who doesn't care and either turns a blind eye or has people in place to help you out, but you can't fake a diploma under someone who does care. People were suddenly held accountable when Huggins was let go. That's why their APR was left in the tank by Huggy and UC's no-nonsense president (who has done wonders to boost the school academically) gave him his walking papers.

I absolutely love what Cronin has done (if you couldn't tell) by getting them on solid footing academically first, and then starting to build his own program. I feel bad about them losing their stud freshman PG for the season because they could have made a lot of noise with him and Vaughn in the backcourt. He still faces a big uphill challenge because of the big part of the UC fan base that was blindly loyal to Huggins and have refused to go back...it's bizarre to an outsider like me.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/men...holarship_x.htm

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6742-fa...good-basketball