Events last night

lloyddobbler

I went for the free Qdoba at around 10, and they were all out of chips for the nachos by then so i ate chicken meat with salsa lol. Then at the player's meet and greet right after, there were I'd say 30-40 people. Probably more than I expected actually. I dont know about anything other than that.

I went for the free Qdoba at around 10, and they were all out of chips for the nachos by then so i ate chicken meat with salsa lol. Then at the player's meet and greet right after, there were I'd say 30-40 people. Probably more than I expected actually. I dont know about anything other than that.

30-40, I'd say that's pretty pathetic!!!

The Blew Crew put this event on and it was only marketed by email and thru Facebook invitations to them. Unfortunately the SLU marketing team missed a great opportunity of starting a new tradition with the entire SLU student population participating.

what? you realize we are talking about the slu students that over the years have averaged less than 20 students attending a game in the student section. 30-40 spending an entire weeknight before a game vs a d-2 opponent sounds pretty good to me.

what? you realize we are talking about the slu students that over the years have averaged less than 20 students attending a game in the student section. 30-40 spending an entire weeknight before a game vs a d-2 opponent sounds pretty good to me.

I disagree, even if I know you're being a little facetious. 8,000 undergrads, a few thousand more grad students, and the best they can do is a few dozen? Pathetic. The Blue Crew seems to be laying yet another egg when it comes to rallying student support for the team. With an on-campus arena now, the task should be easier than ever for them. They seem to miss the point and miss opportunities every time they come along. Facebook messages to each other? It shouldn't be some exclusive club with members chosen by a few students- we are trying to fill an arena, not discuss the work of Proust.

Whatever the Blue Crew is doing, they need to stop. In fact, I would call for the Blue Crew to be disbanded altogether and the athletic department and school work to get the students' butts in the Chaifetz seats in other ways. They're being alienated by a goofy little club that has failed miserably since its inception.

why did you expect it to change over night after all these years? i think the turnout last wednesday was far more than i expected. and if you would have asked me how many would spend the night under the stars (remember, the original premise was outside, the students didnt know they would get to sleep in the arena) i would have told you about 10.

I disagree, even if I know you're being a little facetious. 8,000 undergrads, a few thousand more grad students, and the best they can do is a few dozen? Pathetic. The Blue Crew seems to be laying yet another egg when it comes to rallying student support for the team. With an on-campus arena now, the task should be easier than ever for them. They seem to miss the point and miss opportunities every time they come along. Facebook messages to each other? It shouldn't be some exclusive club with members chosen by a few students- we are trying to fill an arena, not discuss the work of Proust.

Whatever the Blue Crew is doing, they need to stop. In fact, I would call for the Blue Crew to be disbanded altogether and the athletic department and school work to get the students' butts in the Chaifetz seats in other ways. They're being alienated by a goofy little club that has failed miserably since its inception.

The impatience and lack of understanding on this board never ceases to amaze me. They are STUDENTS. They are supposed to STUDY. Yes, it would be great to see them at the GAMES, but the first game is TONIGHT. Last night was for fun, but whether 40 or 4000 showed up, the bigger issue is how many show up tonight and how they support the team. Give them a break. Just because they have real lives and live for something other than Billiken basketball does not mean they are bad people.

BTW I sent an email to Blue Crew telling them to get a schoolwide email and such sent, as well as trying to sell extra tickets at the event. Still havent heard anything back from them... There was a school-wide email that I got today, though, telling everyone to come to the game tonight, that they can buy the $10 student tickets at the Chaifetz Box Office before the game, and the entertainment and celebration events going on. I pray that there will be a lot of people there tonight.

On a side note, my friends and I are so pumped for the season to start in the new arena!!

why did you expect it to change over night after all these years? i think the turnout last wednesday was far more than i expected. and if you would have asked me how many would spend the night under the stars (remember, the original premise was outside, the students didnt know they would get to sleep in the arena) i would have told you about 10.

Because for the first time we have an on-campus arena! There are so many ways to motivate college kids, even the apathetic ones, to walk across campus for a basketball game. I won't start brainstorming here but it doesn't take much. This is where the excuses end for the athletic department, Blue Crew, administration, and students. We finally have what we've been wanting for decades, so what are the excuses?

I'll tell you what doesn't work- an event publicized to no one besides existing members of an insular group via Facebook. My roommates and I have had more people show up to our Village apartment on a weeknight for a party we didn't plan ahead of time.

I don't know what nerds are in charge of the Blue Crew these days but they sure haven't shown a lick of ability in leadership, marketing, or even having friends.

Because for the first time we have an on-campus arena! There are so many ways to motivate college kids, even the apathetic ones, to walk across campus for a basketball game. I won't start brainstorming here but it doesn't take much. This is where the excuses end for the athletic department, Blue Crew, administration, and students. We finally have what we've been wanting for decades, so what are the excuses?

I'll tell you what doesn't work- an event publicized to no one besides existing members of an insular group via Facebook. My roommates and I have had more people show up to our Village apartment on a weeknight for a party we didn't plan ahead of time.

I don't know what nerds are in charge of the Blue Crew these days but they sure haven't shown a lick of ability in leadership, marketing, or even having friends.

"or even having friends." - I don't know who is running Blue Crew, but whomever it is has more credibility than you do after that tasteless comment. At least they are out there trying. And those type of constructive comments will really get any students who are on the fence to come out and spend the evening with a fan like you. Do the students a favor, stay in the Village apartment - the University is trying to turn out graduates of better character than this.

A friend just forwarded me the Blue Crew e-mail - which is basically a letter from Majerus to the students. It's pretty humorous.

Hey Blue Crew!

Here is a letter from Coach Majerus to get everyone pumped for tonight's game!

November 11, 2008

Blue Crew,

"HELP," as all your parents are Beatles fans might remember "Help I

need somebody, but not just anybody." I need the Blue Crew! We all

need the Blue Crew to belly up to the bar and we are not talking about

Humphreys, we are talking about the rails in the student section. We

can't do this without you!

We are going to have a very good team here, but it will take some

time. You guys are a big part of that. I will do anything for the Blue

Crew or the student body in general. I have a long memory for friends

and won't forget about your support when we can turn this program

around.

Let me know what I can do. I am accessible and available to you guys.

Our players are genuinely good guys and hopefully you find them in

class and around campus. I think you will find them to be humble and

really nice guys. What can we do to get you guys more vocal, rowdy,

engaging and entertaining? You need only to look and Duke and there is

the template for success.

I promise I will come to Humphreys after the season ends and buy some

beers and hang out with each and every member of Blue Crew. All I ask

if that you are there for the team.

Make it fun and make it an experience. SLU is a great school and we

are going to have a team that represents your scrappiness and

feistiness if you give us a little time. Most of our players don't

even own a razor. They are trying to find there way like you, but I

know on game night if you guys could amp it up, it would be "DA BOMB!"

Hey that is all I wanted to say! I am around, I am there, I care and

appreciate your support! It should be a fun experience for all of us.

See you on Friday night! Go SLU!

Your friend,

Coach Rick Majerus

Don't forget Men v. UMSL tonight 7pm! Free pizaa by the clocktower @

5:30pm & March to the Game at 7:00pm!

-Your Blue Crew Exec Board!

A friend just forwarded me the Blue Crew e-mail - which is basically a letter from Majerus to the students. It's pretty humorous.

Hey Blue Crew!

Here is a letter from Coach Majerus to get everyone pumped for tonight's game!

November 11, 2008

Blue Crew,

"HELP," as all your parents are Beatles fans might remember "Help I

need somebody, but not just anybody." I need the Blue Crew! We all

need the Blue Crew to belly up to the bar and we are not talking about

Humphreys, we are talking about the rails in the student section. We

can't do this without you!

We are going to have a very good team here, but it will take some

time. You guys are a big part of that. I will do anything for the Blue

Crew or the student body in general. I have a long memory for friends

and won't forget about your support when we can turn this program

around.

Let me know what I can do. I am accessible and available to you guys.

Our players are genuinely good guys and hopefully you find them in

class and around campus. I think you will find them to be humble and

really nice guys. What can we do to get you guys more vocal, rowdy,

engaging and entertaining? You need only to look and Duke and there is

the template for success.

I promise I will come to Humphreys after the season ends and buy some

beers and hang out with each and every member of Blue Crew. All I ask

if that you are there for the team.

Make it fun and make it an experience. SLU is a great school and we

are going to have a team that represents your scrappiness and

feistiness if you give us a little time. Most of our players don't

even own a razor. They are trying to find there way like you, but I

know on game night if you guys could amp it up, it would be "DA BOMB!"

Hey that is all I wanted to say! I am around, I am there, I care and

appreciate your support! It should be a fun experience for all of us.

See you on Friday night! Go SLU!

Your friend,

Coach Rick Majerus

Don't forget Men v. UMSL tonight 7pm! Free pizaa by the clocktower @

5:30pm & March to the Game at 7:00pm!

-Your Blue Crew Exec Board!

This is a great message but why wouldnt it be emailed to the whole student body? Oh well off to Happy hour and the game...

"or even having friends." - I don't know who is running Blue Crew, but whomever it is has more credibility than you do after that tasteless comment. At least they are out there trying. And those type of constructive comments will really get any students who are on the fence to come out and spend the evening with a fan like you. Do the students a favor, stay in the Village apartment - the University is trying to turn out graduates of better character than this.

Go ahead, question my credibility if you must. My comment may have been harsh, but how could they possibly have that few people show up? Why do people on this board insist on defending an organization that has been an almost umitigated failure for so many years? What have they done right?

I graduated in 2005, so I'm not in the Village anymore. I can guarantee you that I was at more games in my four years than any single member of the Blue Crew. I am an absolutely die hard SLU basketball fan, and I have been since I was a kid. I am a season ticket holder despite the fact I live in Cincinnati. I am a member of the Billiken Club. These are things that most fans, especially SLU fans and recent graduates, would not be willing to do. Keep questioning my credibility and character for making one comment that I think is fair, because I sure don't understand how the Blue Crew can continue to fail with everything it has going for it at this point.

Between Blue Crew members, students with season tickets, friends of Blue Crew members, and the general student body, they managed to get 30-40 people to this event. That is so mathematically improbable that I strongly challenge your comment that these current Blue Crew kids "are out there trying." I think they're comfortable with their little group of pals and aren't trying very hard, and therefore doing the rest of the student body a disservice.