Thoughts on RPI and Bubbles and conferences....

Basketbill

1.)I disagree with some who say even if we win out we have to win the tourney. Quite a few teams in recent years have made it as an at large team with an RPI greater than fifty. While it is true that some teams have been left out with an RPI greater than 40, that does not exclude us.

2)The Pac 10 will likely only have two teams this year!!

3)MAC is a conference where a good team may get screwed.

4)MVC needs to have a team beside SIUC win its conference. If SIUC wins it all I think Creighton and WSU are on the hot seat on Selection sunday.

5)Like it or not Mizzou has a chance to ressurect their year Tuesday night very similar to last year when a late season win over Oklahoma sealed their bid. This year it is OK state.....a very good team.

6) Will the Post ever recognize the actual news in sports??....SLU wins a game with a remarkable comback, over a team with RPI 49, on the road, yet Mizzou gets the Big Type headline for beating a team with RPI >200 by four points, on the road......??

7) Can SLU beat Depaul and Cinci on the road in one year AGAIN??

1)True but SLU's has no chance without winning conf tourney. To far down the RPI scale in CUSA.

2)True

3)Who cares

4)Why do they need two teams. Bad conference

5)Quin's teams peak late in the year. If they win Tuesday this year will be no exception.

6) Many more people who pay for the Post are more interested in Mizzou than SLU. They are just giving the people what they want.

7) Maybe

I don't think they even have to win out ... 3-1 makes them 17-10 regular season ... 2-1 in CUSA tourney puts them at 19-11 ... if they don't get a 1st rd bye in the CUSA tourney they could be 3-1 which puts them at 20-11. I would be shocked if they don't make it at

20-11. and think they would have a good chance at 19-11.

If they win out and even make the CUSA final ... they would be in.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

"6) Will the Post ever recognize the actual news in sports??....SLU wins a game with a remarkable comback, over a team with RPI 49, on the road, yet Mizzou gets the Big Type headline for beating a team with RPI >200 by four points, on the road......??"

I don't disagree that the Bills game was definitely a bigger accomplishment, but at this point most people don't even consider the Bills to be on the bubble. The bills game was more compelling, but at this point in the season- the tigers' season is more compelling.

I disagree with your contention about SLU if we lose 20-11 gets us in.

I find it interesting about the MAC because teams like SLU and Mizzou are at risk to lose out to teams in the MAC should they have a good finish and showing in their conference tourney's.

As for Mizzou peaking at the end of the season we will see, they did not seem to peak yesterday........This year I think they need wins against Ok st., Kansas and Texas Tech to get in.....

As for the post all I ask is for them to decide what is Newsworthy...but perhaps the editors went to Mizzou.....

TVG, your point 6 is very interesting-I'd be interested in what possible basis you would have for it. Maybe those of us who steal the PD are more interested in the Bills-why should those who pay get better treatment.

Your post proves just what an idiot you are!!!!

Billikens.com always have something to cry about.

"Mizzou cheats!"

"We're too good for the MVC!"

"We should be #1 in St. Louis, despite our lack of winning tradition!"

"Why are we slightly smaller on the front page of the sports section?!?!?!?"

It's not as if SLU was relegated to the classified section, they're just not the most pertinent story right now, chill out.

SLU must win Conf Tourney, just to many CUSA teams ahead in RPI, plus SLU won't get the benefit of the doubt from the committee.

Mizzou needs to go 3-1 to lock up an at large bid.

Thought BROY and other naysayers would find this interview a good read about what is really going on at Mizzou.

http://www.columbiatribune.com/2004/Feb/20040222Spor013.asp

I made some comments about College basketbal, and the Post. My response was to point out that I thought it Ironic the post would have almost and 8 x10 picture from Mizzou's game and huge Font Headlines, when it was an expected result!

Your response has been inflammatory and childish. Typical knee jerk reaction it sells papers. Sorry it does not. No one bought the post today because Mizzou's article was bigger than SLU's!

My comment about the MVC is more of a reality check, not intended to incite anyone or say SLU the MVC is below us. A similar conference comment as my Pac 10 statement.

If you have nothing informative or interesting to add then do not!!

"Typical knee jerk reaction it sells papers. Sorry it does not. No one bought the post today because Mizzou's article was bigger than SLU's!"

No, but over the course of a long period of time, people are going to be happier with reading compelling stories. You're looking at this as "no one bought the post today," but I think there are people whose subscription depend on reading about sports stories of interest.

SLU fans (and this might not be you in particular) tend to want it both ways. They love a 7 page article about the Ricky Clemons fiasco, but the second the post mentions Mizzou doing something exciting (such as a late season push for the tournament) it's a travesty that they're mentioned ahead of SLU.

You know, for all the talk you guys do of me being immature and acting like a child- you guys could come up with some better insults, or even ways to politely ask me to leave for that matter.

If you can't accept beliefs other than your own, then that's your deal. It is my opinion that the Post Dispatch knows what its doing when it puts Mizzou as the top sports story.