OT -- death of the Rev. Martin Hagan, SJ

bonwich

For all the double Billikens on the board: RIP Uncle Marty

http://www.sluh.org/news/689/

Funny; I saw him at my last reunion 5 years ago; he hadn't aged a day, or so it seemed. I'm on the committe for the class of '63's reunion this year. To put it in perspective, when I was a sr., the class of 1918 was holding its reunion... :rolleyes:

Nice guy. Taught a lot of kids how to shoot guns.

Huge loss for the U High Community. He never taught me how to shoot, but I was always amazed that he could look at a kids last name in the class of '93 and tell you the exact years your father and uncles graduated. He was one of the sharpest guys I have ever met.

He was the best. It freaked me out when he knew my name on my first day of school. He memorized every incoming freshman's picture every year. He was amazing.

Indeed, he will be missed.

Beyond never aging a day and having that great memory, he had the wonderful talent of making freshman feel at ease in the big high school world. That great memory helped make kids feel like they were somebody, important to the larger school.

He helped me through quite a personal crisis -- I'll never forget him.

Fr. Hagan will definitely be missed by the generations of U High students who had the pleasure of getting to know him. There really isn't much else to be said that already hasn't been said by all of those who have written here before me. Without question this man was one of the sharpest, engaging, and energetic men I have ever encountered thus far in my life. I can still remember the first time I met Father Hagan. It was the first week of school my freshman year and a few friends and I were hanging out in the pool hall. Father looked at us and said, "Have you gentlemen ever seen an old man do pullups?" He then proceeded to jump up onto a bar that was hanging over his head and proceeded to do a couple of pushups. It was truly a shame the day that his health began to deteriorate and he no longer roamed the halls of the U-High.

My thoughts and prayers go out to a great man!

Just wanted to chime in and say I share the sentiments of everyone else who's posted about Fr. Hagan. What a great guy. For me, his influence made the U High more than a school but a special community where everyone was known by name and made to feel they belonged the entire time spent at the place as a student and even years after.

It always impressed me that, in the midst of a multitude of duties, Fr. Hagan adopted the improvement of the Rec Hall as his pet project. He wanted to make it something special for the school. He succeeded, and monitored its development and maintenance for the rest of his life. At SLU, Fr. McNamee did the same thing with Cupples House.

For many years, it was the effort of Fr. Hagan which was most responsible for fostering a sense of class unity and school spirit among the Freshman.