Previous "Mistakes" and "Can't Miss" Vee Prospects

Taj79

Anybody got the lowdown on guys that left the program the last few years? What is the end destination (if any) for Obi Ikeakor and Horace Dixon? I know there was a thread below on Sanjay Watts. What's his 20? I'd like to see the old V-meister come back on and give us updates on all those guys he once endorsed for SLU scholarships. Instead of Where's Waldo, we could hear an update on Locate Leon (Powell). In Vee's class of 2007, he endorsed guys named Jarryd Cole, Aulbury Doss, Rolandis Woodson, dave Stewart, Chris Stokes, Alfred Nelson, and Mike Baker among others. How did they do in their first years in college. Its one thing to endorse, how did all that turn out?

Same goes for 2008 recommendtions in Reggie Spears and Abel Tillman. Ameechie Baldwon and Darren Hobbs. Anthony James. Cornelius Walker. What's the skinny on 2009 names Lonnie Boga , Jerry Pankey and everyone's favorite, Richard Anderson.

How about report cards on those that got away: Xavier Price, Lorenzo Taylor, Will Jones, Kyle Calloway, Mo Smith, James Washington, Sean Kowal and Stephen Jones? I think it woudl be interesting to see how a "player expert" did in predicting who we should have signed. I haven't looked so I really don't know. There was also that kid that got away and walked on at UCLA. The one I do remember and I did look up was legacy pick Monroe Douglas Jr. I did not see him listed at all on the Dayton roster this year when I did look. I hope this question finds him still in school.

Anybody got the lowdown on guys that left the program the last few years? What is the end destination (if any) for Obi Ikeakor and Horace Dixon? I know there was a thread below on Sanjay Watts. What's his 20? I'd like to see the old V-meister come back on and give us updates on all those guys he once endorsed for SLU scholarships. Instead of Where's Waldo, we could hear an update on Locate Leon (Powell). In Vee's class of 2007, he endorsed guys named Jarryd Cole, Aulbury Doss, Rolandis Woodson, dave Stewart, Chris Stokes, Alfred Nelson, and Mike Baker among others. How did they do in their first years in college. Its one thing to endorse, how did all that turn out?

Same goes for 2008 recommendtions in Reggie Spears and Abel Tillman. Ameechie Baldwon and Darren Hobbs. Anthony James. Cornelius Walker. What's the skinny on 2009 names Lonnie Boga , Jerry Pankey and everyone's favorite, Richard Anderson.

How about report cards on those that got away: Xavier Price, Lorenzo Taylor, Will Jones, Kyle Calloway, Mo Smith, James Washington, Sean Kowal and Stephen Jones? I think it woudl be interesting to see how a "player expert" did in predicting who we should have signed. I haven't looked so I really don't know. There was also that kid that got away and walked on at UCLA. The one I do remember and I did look up was legacy pick Monroe Douglas Jr. I did not see him listed at all on the Dayton roster this year when I did look. I hope this question finds him still in school.

I'm not VTime, but if you are serious and really want to know and not just get a dig at a "player expert" as you term it.......here's an update on some....

Leon Powell had a nice year at Indian Hills CC in Iowa....he's still a D1 prospect

Dave Stewart (I assume from Vianney) is on schollie & playing OF for the nationally ranked Nebraska baseball team.....

Jarryd Cole started for Iowa..........

Abel Tillman signed with SEMO

Richard Anderson is still uncommitted but is being recruited by D 1 schools........

Sean Kowal played sparingly at Colorado but has since left the program..........

Look, I don't mean to criticze but I see you live in Baltimore.......while the Sun has a nice weekly rundown both on football and basketball recruiting it sure doesn't cover the midwest as much as the ACC and SEC......seems this is a message board and open to all opinions.......certainly there are "insiders" present (not me), and few "experts", Nate being one; the rest are just fans with opinions.........

If you want expertise, I suggest you buck up for Scout (for you Nate) or the other premium sites where you get informed content as well as mesage board opinion.....

Sorry if this comes off as harsh, especially if you meant no insult to VTime......whose opinions are always entertaining if not always accurate.........

I'm not VTime, but if you are serious and really want to know and not just get a dig at a "player expert" as you term it.......here's an update on some....

Leon Powell had a nice year at Indian Hills CC in Iowa....he's still a D1 prospect

Dave Stewart (I assume from Vianney) is on schollie & playing OF for the nationally ranked Nebraska baseball team.....

Richard Anderson is still uncommitted but is being recruited by D 1 schools........

Sean Kowal played sparingly at Colorado but has since left the program..........

Look, I don't mean to criticze but I see you live in Baltimore.......while the Sun has a nice weekly rundown both on football and basketball recruiting it sure doesn't cover the midwest as much as the ACC and SEC......seems this is a message board and open to all opinions.......certainly there are "insiders" present (not me), and few "experts", Nate being one; the rest are just fans with opinions.........

If you want expertise, I suggest you buck up for Scout (for you Nate) or the other premium sites where you get informed content as well as mesage board opinion.....

Sorry if this comes off as harsh, especially if you meant no insult to VTime......whose opinions are always entertaining if not always accurate.........

Tillman is not signing with Semo. Semo fired the Asst that recruited him, he's heading to a Juco last I heard.

Mo Smith has committed to UT-San Antonio, where Jay Spoonhour is an Asst.

Sean Kowal sat out this season at No Illinois as a transfer, will be eligible the upcoming season.

Sanijay Watts is rumored to be headed Central Mo, no idea if that is true or not though.

Horace Dixon has committed to Houston

This seems like an unnecessary attack on STLHI. He didn't say all of these guys deserved SLU scholarships. He's always been good about presenting all local names and their prospects for playing college ball. The emphasis is on exposure for them, not saying that all deserve offers from SLU or other DI programs. He's a local hoops junkie trying to get names out and contribute something to the quality of STL basketball. If he's occasionally high on some players I think it's more that he genuinely wants them to succeed and knows most of them to some extent, not because he's deluding himself or us. And he's never used the term "can't miss."

For the updates you asked for, see above or do a Google search on the rest.

I think Monroe Douglass, Jr. is still at Dayton but hasn't been a walk-on on their roster for a while.

Mustafa Abdul-Hamid never considered SLU for a second. He had a full ride offered from Harvard, but turned it down to walk on at UCLA- win-win for him.

Xavier Price went to Purdue and transferred to Western Illinois, where he finished his senior year.

Alfred Nelson is playing at Drury in Springfield.

Rolandis Woodland is playing football at Mizzou.

Kyle Calloway is playing football at Iowa.

Lorenzo Taylor transferred from Western Illinois to Kentucky Wesleyan.

Xavier Price went to Purdue and transferred to Western Illinois, where he finished his senior year.

price played one year at purdue and very limited at western one year and disappeared. he should have at least one season left somewhere. i have no idea where he is now, but i will see his high school coach tonite and try to remember to ask.

This seems like an unnecessary attack on STLHI. He didn't say all of these guys deserved SLU scholarships. He's always been good about presenting all local names and their prospects for playing college ball. The emphasis is on exposure for them, not saying that all deserve offers from SLU or other DI programs. He's a local hoops junkie trying to get names out and contribute something to the quality of STL basketball. If he's occasionally high on some players I think it's more that he genuinely wants them to succeed and knows most of them to some extent, not because he's deluding himself or us. And he's never used the term "can't miss."

Agree to disagree. I don't think it's an unnecessary attack. If Vtime is going to hold himself out to be an insider or knowledgeable on the local scene, then he is open to criticism. Also, I think Vtime suggested, at the very least, that most of the names he brought up deserved a DI schollie and often an offer from SLU.

I will say that vtime has been more restrained in his assessments over the last 6-9 months as opposed to 1-2 years ago. Also, I do agree with you that he has an emphasis on exposure and is doing a good service by trying to help these kids out. I applaud him for that. Also, I believe vtime was one of the first to get an interview with JH after his release (or talk of his release). congrats to vtime on that.

Its not an attack ---- its calling in marker if you ask me. Vee and I have had a few conversations off the board. I know he's changed his moniker and maybe even his stripes. He assures me he not in the making of a dreaded "street agent." Again, only time and calling in that marker at a later date will tell. Don't tie any emotional baggage on to this -- I think its a fair question. I recall, as someone backed me up on, that the old Vee was calling for each and every one of these kids to get SLU scholarships. He also talked about everyone that got away and should have been offered. The talk bantered back and forth on a variety of topics. And then it was pretty much forgotten ---- later someone else might resurrect it and remember it as "dodging sniper bullets as we landed in Sarajevo" or something to that end.

Vee may or may not answer. STLHI might or might not. Its immaterial becasue many of you have already answered and the information is appreciated. For example, the info on Leon is good. So too the update on Kowal ---- many could not fathom how we let such a kid get away and now he's at a program I would consider lesser than ours. I still am of the opinion that if you throw enough goo on the wall, some will eventually stick. This does not make you an expert --- Mel Kiper Jr. excluded.

To "CMA" all I have to say is you are right about my locale, however, I would NEVER call the Sun a decent paper. All the complaints about the PD and all I can think of is "at least you guys don't have to live with the Sun." Johns Hopkins lacrosse team is still ranked #15 in the nation while compiling a five-game losing streak --- and they get press coverage in the Sunday paper before Major League baseball, the Masters and the NBA. The Sun runs all local college basketball team scores the day after they play. The rest is just the Top 25 scores. Okay, for both men and women but the rest, who cares. Outside of scores, my interest in college basketball is focused on the Bills. That's why I ask on here. Vee came on here talking a great game. I like to hear new ideas. But proof and legitimacy is in the pudding and I'd like an accounting for past claims. That's all.

Again, to all who contributed and will contribute, thanks for the updates. To Vee -- sorry if it sounded like an attack, you know how that TFB sounds!

while i am an stlhi fan, i will back up taj on his memory. as vtime, he constantly called for "slu offers". he would shotgun out 10-15 names at a time insisting they were all worthy.

i will also say for stlhi that he hasnt done that for awhile. i think after a number of us presented the numbers of players he was proposing be offered he saw the errors in his ways.

i also think the work he is doing now to assist some of the lesser players in the city with their college search is noble. as long as that is all it is and he doesnt cross that agent line, then hurray's for him!

Initially STLHIXV was talking up everybody, which imo is easy to understand he was young and watching some of the kids you think wow, he's good. The problem is your basis for what is really good isn't very experienced. As he has matured and gained experience watching kids his touting of some of the lesser or D2 and D3 prospects has subsided. I think he's been clear on stating that a kid is someone that may deserve a look or this kid should be offered.

This is pretty typical of the way v-time was treated by the "regulars" on the board. Vee may have been a little annoying at times, but he was always harmless. The board bullies whined incessantly to steve until vee was finally suspended, even though there were several posters doing much worse things. The "regulars" made comments like "vee, get your rap-loving #$% off the board" and other enlightened comments along those lines.

I never had a problem with anyone on here until I defended vee. Then the "regulars" went into the attack mode against me and a handful of others who called them out. Be careful, don't get the gold ole boys riled up. :)

This is pretty typical of the way v-time was treated by the "regulars" on the board. Vee may have been a little annoying at times, but he was always harmless. The board bullies whined incessantly to steve until vee was finally suspended, even though there were several posters doing much worse things. The "regulars" made comments like "vee, get your rap-loving #$% off the board" and other enlightened comments along those lines.

I never had a problem with anyone on here until I defended vee. Then the "regulars" went into the attack mode against me and a handful of others who called them out. Be careful, don't get the gold ole boys riled up. :)

just curious

who whined to Steve?

who told him to get his rap-loving #$% off the board

and who are the "regulars"

Using regulars lumps all long time regular posters together which is in effect accussing all regulars of those things

My sense as well. Vtime got unnecessarily attacked. He was a hyperactive poster early in his career on this board (gee, let me think if there are any other hyperactive posters on this board) but he settled into being a solid contributor later. But people just couldn't get off the guy's back. It was ugly IMHO.

Once again, not a Vee thread. Updates on kids we "shoulda, woulda, coulda" as indicated by a certain somoene. The who is immaterial. I am asking about the results of past recommendations. I have been directly alerted to the new largesse and altruistic means to STLHI residing behind the madness. I applaud that but find it hard to believe, in today's day and age where people are selling goods and services that are at best questionable in value, taht someone would engage in this at no personal gain. He intends to prove me wrong and again, more applause.

It good information. That stuff on Locating Leon was excellent. Its nice to know Leon is progressing and will be heard from again. Hopefully, not another Nick Kern. Kowal I recall few of us heard of and then seemed to be not bad given a BCS program came calling and signed him. Now, not as much of a loss as I originally feared. Things like that.

I going to take "good old boy" warnings as directed to newcomers on this board. My avice would be that if you have an opinion, express it. Its an open discussion and opinions are what they are. You come on spewing opinion as fact, you might get called on it. That's all. Some good old boys indirectly attacked on here have one thing going for them that has been consistent, they don't seem to change their spots. DP's career still gets an overall F rating in my book. My opinion. Yada-yada.

Once again, not a Vee thread. Updates on kids we "shoulda, woulda, coulda" as indicated by a certain somoene. The who is immaterial. I am asking about the results of past recommendations. I have been directly alerted to the new largesse and altruistic means to STLHI residing behind the madness. I applaud that but find it hard to believe, in today's day and age where people are selling goods and services that are at best questionable in value, taht someone would engage in this at no personal gain. He intends to prove me wrong and again, more applause.

It good information. That stuff on Locating Leon was excellent. Its nice to know Leon is progressing and will be heard from again. Hopefully, not another Nick Kern. Kowal I recall few of us heard of and then seemed to be not bad given a BCS program came calling and signed him. Now, not as much of a loss as I originally feared. Things like that.

I going to take "good old boy" warnings as directed to newcomers on this board. My avice would be that if you have an opinion, express it. Its an open discussion and opinions are what they are. You come on spewing opinion as fact, you might get called on it. That's all. Some good old boys indirectly attacked on here have one thing going for them that has been consistent, they don't seem to change their spots. DP's career still gets an overall F rating in my book. My opinion. Yada-yada.

I understand that you wanted info on these guys, and the stuff posted was good. However, you state that it's "not a Vee thread," even though "Vee" is in the title of the thread and he was mentioned, in name or as "player expert" or other obvious reference, multiple times in the original post. All I'm saying is that listing the players and asking where they are would have sufficed. Even one mention of V-Time or STLHI in a non-condescending manner would have been fine because he did bring a lot of those prospects to our attention in the first place. My thought is that even if most did not deserve offers from SLU, that shouldn't keep them from being discussed; they are local players and most went on to play ball in college.

Alburey Doss ended up at Langston, an NAIA school in Oklahoma.

Dave Stewart is at Nebraska playing baseball.

Alfred Nelson is at Drury University in Springfield, MO. He avg 0.8 ppg this past season.

Kyle Calloway is playing football at Iowa.

James Washington is at Western Illinois. Redshirted his first year, started 12 games last season, avg 10 ppg, 42% 3pt-FG

Stephen Jones went to No Iowa, transferred after his first year to SIU-E. He avg 3 ppg, making 8 starts this past season.