OT: Which first round "upsets" do you like?

When did Dukie V join the board? I haven't heard this much Duke bull$hit since his last broadcast.

I just respond when one someone bashes Duke for no reason. I am a SLU guy, think Duke bashers are jealous-losers, interesting phenomenon. I do not know a program better than Duke last 15 or so yrs for wins, class program, top ten academic school (I know they make some big exceptions for key players, no ######) class kids (no thugs), class coach, avid fans. But some hate them like the old Dallas Cowboys and other dynasty's. If SLU plays Duke, I hope we win. But I do not hope that "Huggins beats Coach K" out of nowhere out of jealousy as I hide behind my computer and throw out 100 posts / day.

A couple of other points about the mythical Duke committment to having student athletes......

How do you explain Sean Dockery?

Dockery graduated from high school with a 2.3 GPA and a 15 on the ACT.

How do you explain the fact that Duke basketball players Sat average is lower than than NCAA SAT average for all college athletes?

NCAA average 1,026. Duke men's basketball average 997.

So you choose to align yourself with Kristin Butler! She is, lets just say, a frustrated gal, despised by most all in Durham, what a joke.

I will call a few people for more info on that but yes, Dockery was let in well below Duke standards, WOW! But there are other things there, I will look into it, it was not that simple. I do not do this 24/7 like some of you guys but I think I remember some of her so called stats were debated on the SAT and other stuff. Note she says the average SAT of the "5 basketball players", hey, there are 12 on the team, which 5 did she choose? There were and are kids on the team with 1400's, too, place but yep they a take few below the line and hope they can cut it academically.

FYI purpose of her article wanted the athletes not be allowed to pick courses to accomodate their schedules around their traiining and traveling. So while she sat on her fat ass, kids representing the school spend dozens of hours training, traveling, etc each week, taking away from their social lives, grades, etc, she writes this crap. She will die alone.

What would you call Duke's sociology degree?

Please elaborate, what do you mean?

Do you know something specific about it?

I know Duke cannot get 75 football players, the "type" that can compete with the jock schools (Fla. State, etc) that can get thru 4 years at Duke.

I agree what Duke does is no different than most teams. That is the problem. Most programs and their fans don't put forward a myth that they are above everyone else when it comes to how they run their program on the academic side. I don't see any other programs mascots holding up welcome scholars signs as the other team takes the court. If Duke and their fans want to put forward this myth they should institute an admission policy like Stanford.

To play a sport at Stanford you must first be accepted to the school just like any other student. You won't see Stanford admitting a Sean Dockery. But, that school and their fan base are not a bunch of hypocrites.

I agree what Duke does is no different than most teams. That is the problem. Most programs and their fans don't put forward a myth that they are above everyone else when it comes to how they run their program on the academic side. I don't see any other programs mascots holding up welcome scholars signs as the other team takes the court. If Duke and their fans want to put forward this myth they should institute an admission policy like Stanford.

To play a sport at Stanford you must first be accepted to the school just like any other student. You won't see Stanford admitting a Sean Dockery. But, that school and their fan base are not a bunch of hypocrites.

Good "spin", but you exaggerate on both ends to support your position. It is not that black and white. I admire Stanford, too, but you position them as

100% pure and then cite Duke's Dockery as the foundation for Duke's policy. Duke does have strong academcis in athletics, despite that sole article by

one disturbed female.

Nice try. You should write for Hillary.

Good "spin", but you exaggerate on both ends to support your position. It is not that black and white. I admire Stanford, too, but you position them as

100% pure and then cite Duke's Dockery as the foundation for Duke's policy. Duke does have strong academcis in athletics, despite that sole article by

one disturbed female.

Nice try. You should write for Hillary.

and the overpaid and unqualified for jobs for family members? I'm not a Duke hater, but I think the hype and the squeaky clean image both exceed reality. Dukie V doesn't help though, people get tired of his schtick and it reflects on Duke fair or not.

and the overpaid and unqualified for jobs for family members? I'm not a Duke hater, but I think the hype and the squeaky clean image both exceed reality. Dukie V doesn't help though, people get tired of his schtick and it reflects on Duke fair or not.

That's exactly it...for me. Everybody on this board would want Duke's success. But it's not about being jealous. It's about...why the hell do we need to read, watch, and hear about Duke during every broadcast? Why do we need to most recognizable ESPN personality constantly pumping up Duke and coach K? I don't want to hear it. They're good, we get that. Do we need to hear it 10 times a day? Absolutely not. If ESPN didn't concentrate on that school so much, it wouldn't be an issue. And the fact that they DO, forces people to point out that they aren't all they are cracked up to be. That's life.

Frankly, as "a SLU fan first", I don't understand how you (mb73) can take this position. Wouldn't you rather hear about our conference, team, or region rather than the Duke propaganda we are constantly subjected to?

That's exactly it...for me. Everybody on this board would want Duke's success. But it's not about being jealous. It's about...why the hell do we need to read, watch, and hear about Duke during every broadcast? Why do we need to most recognizable ESPN personality constantly pumping up Duke and coach K? I don't want to hear it. They're good, we get that. Do we need to hear it 10 times a day? Absolutely not. If ESPN didn't concentrate on that school so much, it wouldn't be an issue. And the fact that they DO, forces people to point out that they aren't all they are cracked up to be. That's life.

Frankly, as "a SLU fan first", I don't understand how you (mb73) can take this position. Wouldn't you rather hear about our conference, team, or region rather than the Duke propaganda we are constantly subjected to?

Of course I would prefer SLU get big time media attention rather than Duke! Not the issue.

The point of this string of mesages is the phenomenon that people without provacation outwardly express their hate for Duke, not just hope they lose, or "hope Huggins gives it to K", etc, out of nowhere, but worse, all the time when in fact it is a damn good program, one of the best in last 15 yrs, and as clean as they come, not perfect.(I get it, Bania)

Yep, I hear you on Dick Vitale, good point, that is likely a factor.

So you choose to align yourself with Kristin Butler! She is, lets just say, a frustrated gal, despised by most all in Durham, what a joke.

I will call a few people for more info on that but yes, Dockery was let in well below Duke standards, WOW! But there are other things there, I will look into it, it was not that simple. I do not do this 24/7 like some of you guys but I think I remember some of her so called stats were debated on the SAT and other stuff. Note she says the average SAT of the "5 basketball players", hey, there are 12 on the team, which 5 did she choose? There were and are kids on the team with 1400's, too, place but yep they a take few below the line and hope they can cut it academically.

FYI purpose of her article wanted the athletes not be allowed to pick courses to accomodate their schedules around their traiining and traveling. So while she sat on her fat ass, kids representing the school spend dozens of hours training, traveling, etc each week, taking away from their social lives, grades, etc, she writes this crap. She will die alone.

What does the writer have to do with it? Why take cheap shots at her? The fact of the matter is Duke had an incoming freshman basketball player with an ACT score less than half of what other prospective Duke freshman should have if they expect to have their applications even glanced at.

What does the writer have to do with it? Why take cheap shots at her? The fact of the matter is Duke had an incoming freshman basketball player with an ACT score less than half of what other prospective Duke freshman should have if they expect to have their applications even glanced at.

The writer was just a student (not a journalist) with an axe to grind, she did not want athletes to be able to pick their courses first to accomodate their priactices, training and travel.

Some of the facts she presented were not valid.

I do not have time to do this all day like some people but I have a call in to look into this further, certainly even you can see that she cited "5 basketball players" in her so called comparison of ACT scores, so "which 5?" Certainly included Duhon, I bet... "statistics-for-those-with-their-argument-in-mind".

Also, I think I remember there is other stuff about the Duhon situation I will look in to regarding his academics. Remember the 2 special CBC players who had learning disabilities? One wound up in NBA. WTF? I know a guy with an Q over 180 who breezed thru high school with a 2.2 then got serious when he had to in college with a 3.9. But either way, so what, sometimes they take a chance on a guy. Meanwhile, they DO have some 1400's on the team. But all NCAA powers do that, the difference is the BCS-football schools have safe haven jock courses and get the "worst of the worst" thugs to play basketball.

It is a matter of degree.

Duke is for kids that want an IVY League caliber education that want to play the best possible competition. So is Stanford. There are others that are in that ballpark.

Question is, too, why do you take the anti-Duke side when you just read the perimieter info? I was not on this board like some of the full time Billikens.com posters when it happenened, but I bet you probably were happy when the Duke rape accusations started. (but please let's not start on that subject)

Question is, too, why do you take the anti-Duke side when you just read the perimieter info? I was not on this board like some of the full time Billikens.com posters when it happenened, but I bet you probably were happy when the Duke rape accusations started. (but please let's not start on that subject)

no i just pretty much hate duke basketball. mainly because of their pompous a$$ fan base and cheating coach.

To accuse me of being "happy when the Duke rape case accusations started" is sick. I thought you were attempting to credibly argue the Duke side, but you threw that out the window.

I haven't just read perimeter info. How could you possibly know what I've read? I've been paying attention to college basketball, and therefore Duke, for a long time. I don't buy their squeaky-clean image, and there's a lot to back it up. Once again, no matter what beef you have with the reporter of that article, she states facts. Duke is a top 10 university and they admitted a kid who went to a joke of a high school and could only get a 2.3 GPA and a 15 on his ACT. I took the ACT in seventh grade as part of some program and beat his score by 3 points. And that was with virtually blind guesses on math and science. It is also a fact that Duke's team SAT is remarkably lower than the rest of the student body. A little bit is understandable, but 400 points is a lot. Duke has shown what its priorities are with basketball and academics.

I think there are some other schools doing it right, like Stanford, Northwestern, and Vanderbilt. They have actually held athletes to high standards instead of admitting whoever they want and padding the team GPA with the grades of the walk-ons. Because of that, they all naturally have years where they struggle. When you don't compromise your university's academic standards for sports, that's bound to happen.

If Duke is straightforward and admits "Yes, we have lower academic standards for basketball players but we don't care because it's a cash cow that we don't want to lose," then I have less of a problem. They instead pretend that the team is representative of the student body, which is a joke. There are plenty who are, like Scheyer or Battier, but there are plenty who would struggle to get in a lot of schools, let alone a top-10 university.