Conference realignment

nigel

I know it will never happen, but here's a pipe dream for conference realignment. Every team in a conference should make it's tournament, if there are more than 12 teams then the conference is too big. The Big East and the A10 make sense to split into three conferences based on numbers, geography and current and future rivalries. Here's what I came up with:

Conference 1

Xavier

Saint Louis

Dayton

DePaul

Cincinnati

Marquette

Notre Dame

Louisville

Conference 2

Georgetown

Connecticut

Villanova

Syracuse

Providence

St. John's

Massachusetts

Seton Hall

Rutgers

George Washington

Rhode Island

Fordham

Conference 3

West Virginia

Pittsburgh

La Salle

Richmond

Saint Joseph's

Temple

Duquesne

St. Bonaventure

Charlotte

USF

Conference 1 would be a great basketball conference, makes sense geographically and somewhat reconstructs the old Great Midwest/Conf USA.

Conference 2 has the core Big East teams and the others fit geographically. All Big East rivalries remain intact.

Conference 3 has 1 school that stands out in USF, but maintans a core of philly and pittsburgh schools.

I also considered bringing in Memphis to Conference 1 and finding a better home for USF and Charlotte.

I know it will never happen, but here's a pipe dream for conference realignment. Every team in a conference should make it's tournament, if there are more than 12 teams then the conference is too big. The Big East and the A10 make sense to split into three conferences based on numbers, geography and current and future rivalries. Here's what I came up with:

Conference 1

Xavier

Saint Louis

Dayton

DePaul

Cincinnati

Marquette

Notre Dame

Louisville

Conference 2

Georgetown

Connecticut

Villanova

Syracuse

Providence

St. John's

Massachusetts

Seton Hall

Rutgers

George Washington

Rhode Island

Fordham

Conference 3

West Virginia

Pittsburgh

La Salle

Richmond

Saint Joseph's

Temple

Duquesne

St. Bonaventure

Charlotte

USF

Conference 1 would be a great basketball conference, makes sense geographically and somewhat reconstructs the old Great Midwest/Conf USA.

Conference 2 has the core Big East teams and the others fit geographically. All Big East rivalries remain intact.

Conference 3 has 1 school that stands out in USF, but maintans a core of philly and pittsburgh schools.

I also considered bringing in Memphis to Conference 1 and finding a better home for USF and Charlotte.

I'm not trying to be an ass Nigel, but this conversation comes up about once a month and it just gets tiresome. It'll never happen because of football and Conference 1 sure looks a lot like the Great Midwest plus Xavier, ND and UL. It'll never happen.

I'm not trying to be an ass Nigel, but this conversation comes up about once a month and it just gets tiresome. It'll never happen because of football and Conference 1 sure looks a lot like the Great Midwest plus Xavier, ND and UL. It'll never happen.

which is why I said "I know it'll never happen". and I was referring to basketball only. Half the teams are in different football conferences anyway.(Umass, Rhody,Richmond, Nova in CAA, Temple in MAC, G'town, Fordham in Patriot, Dayton in Pioneer,ND independent, Duquesne in MAAC).

Conference 1

Xavier

Saint Louis

Dayton

DePaul

Cincinnati

Marquette

Notre Dame

Louisville

Conference 2

Georgetown

Connecticut

Villanova

Syracuse

Providence

St. John's

Massachusetts

Seton Hall

Rutgers

George Washington

Rhode Island

Fordham

Conference 3

West Virginia

Pittsburgh

La Salle

Richmond

Saint Joseph's

Temple

Duquesne

St. Bonaventure

Charlotte

USF

Barak Obama has promised this if he is elected President...