Kalicak article in Today's post

thetorch

If TL goes prep, I'd rather see us take a wing with that scholarship than a guard. You have TL and Lisch coming in the 2005 class (god willing); therefore, whoever we gave that scholarship to better be able to play 3 through 5 or he is unlikely to see much court-time from 2005 forward.

If we can get a functional juco wing, that's fine with me. It would bring balance to our recruiting classes as mentioned by Roy. But I think we are at a disadvantage in the JUCO recruiting arena so we may have a problem landing a solid one late. If so, I suggest SLU gives a second look at Terry Evans. He averages 12 points per game and shoots 42% from 3 land on 54 attempts (which is outstanding). His scoring average for the last 10 games is 15 per (if we throw out the low score over that period which appears to be an aberation--only 51 points scored in the entire game by both teams). He also appears to be the team assist leader. This is a 6'5" wing man who had outstanding athleticism prior to an injury over 1 year ago that he is slowly recovering from. But for the injury, this guy would have been a high D1 prospect. He's still available per Nate Latsch:

http://www.billikens.com/dcforum/DCForumID3/1419.html#10

We need athleticism in spots 5 through 3. How much better would our team be this year if we could throw onto the court an athletic 3 who can shoot from the outside? Izik has to do his damage inside. He's no threat with the ball in his hand 20' from the basket.

I don't know if Terry Evans has recovered sufficiently to be that guy but I think we should take a look if a scholarship opens up.

>Terry is taller but he couldn't guard the chair I'm sitting

>in. Murkey at two inches shorter is the better rebounder,

>ball handler and far superior defender.

Too bad, Brad won't take a player who can't play defense ... although, when it is a high schooler who has all the other tools, there is time to learn given a proper desire. But with Evans injury question-marks, I am sure that closes the book.

Just one comment on this point. All things being equal, of course you want to take a kid who plays great defense but, often times, that is a function of proper coaching in high school. Superior defense is something that is worked at and learned. Could Reggie Bryant guard the chair that 3Star is sitting in when he landed at SLU? Justin Johnson? We won't even get into Drew Diener or Chris Braun. Reggie has innate athleticism. With extra weight on his body (as happened during last year), he can be coached up into a serviceable defender. Same thing with Justin--who I think defends well now. If we take a kid who is a great defender at the high school level but lacks the raw talent to improve over his 4 years in college, did we really get the best player? For a comparable, I'll throw out Drejaj. Great defender from day 1. Does he have an upside or is this it? I am sure that thinking--projecting future development based upon athleticism--helps to explain our selecting of Darren Clarke over Blake Ahern last recruiting class. That is the sort of eye you have to look at someone like Evans with.

imo, there is more to it than just "teaching defense". Sure, defensive technique can be taught, but the kid better have strength, athleticism, a huge heart and a good streak of toughness/meanness within him. Recruiters will eliminate some high school/AAU players when they don't see heart/toughness/meanness or when they don't see it often enough. It's like "no softies need to apply"!

maybe that has happened once or twice but it is not common parctice for them to disallow test scores. Hell, Johnnie Parker was no where close to qualified, took the test in Arkansas, somehow miraculously passed and qualified. If Tommie gets to appropriate score (and I think he will) he'll get in.

Johnny Parker was quite a few years ago and maybe stories like his is the reason the NCAA questions these tests more. I know Illinois State had a freshman this year in the circumstances B-Roy said. I am not sure, but I don't think he ever became eligible this year, I remember hearing they were appealing an NCAA decision at the beginning of the season. Not sure what became the final decision though.