Observations on the Dayton game

Billikan

For those of you who are out of town or missed the game tonight you really missed a great college basketball game for 40 minutes. Our Bills played their butts off and really played well enough to win. It was an impressive showing by a group of young men who just got blasted and ridiculed by the press.

I sit with a group of 20 and we all thought this was one of the most one sided referred games they had ever seen against the home team. It seemed like literally every 50-50 call went to Dayton and their mugging of Luke and Tommie under the basket went uncalled time and again. We all decided that the A 10 must really want 3 or 4 teams to get into the big dance and they told the refs to make sure no team in the lower half beats one of the ranked teams. At times I thought the tall ref had bet on Dayton like the NBA ref did last year. His calls against us were ridiculous.

Overall, in regulation, this was the best game we played all year. Luke was magnificent and Tommie and Kevin were warriors. Roberts made several 28 foot 3 point shots when we were all over him. We can all be proud of this team. They were positive and supportive of their teammates and they came to play with intensity and intelligence. It is really a shame we lost the game.

For those of you who are out of town or missed the game tonight you really missed a great college basketball game for 40 minutes. Our Bills played their butts off and really played well enough to win. It was an impressive showing by a group of young men who just got blasted and ridiculed by the press.

I sit with a group of 20 and we all thought this was one of the most one sided referred games they had ever seen against the home team. It seemed like literally every 50-50 call went to Dayton and their mugging of Luke and Tommie under the basket went uncalled time and again. We all decided that the A 10 must really want 3 or 4 teams to get into the big dance and they told the refs to make sure no team in the lower half beats one of the ranked teams. At times I thought the tall ref had bet on Dayton like the NBA ref did last year. His calls against us were ridiculous.

Overall, in regulation, this was the best game we played all year. Luke was magnificent and Tommie and Kevin were warriors. Roberts made several 28 foot 3 point shots when we were all over him. We can all be proud of this team. They were positive and supportive of their teammates and they came to play with intensity and intelligence. It is really a shame we lost the game.

Effort aside, it sounded like the game was really pretty ugly in the 2nd half.

Effort aside, it sounded like the game was really pretty ugly in the 2nd half.

If the refs had called even a fraction of the fouls on Dayton that were being committed then we would have won this game in the second half. We played our hearts out on defense and we cooled off a little on offense but we still played a great second half overall in that we palyed an excellent top 17 team to a 25-25 tie even with the refs against us. It was a really fun game and the crowd was into it!

If the refs had called even a fraction of the fouls on Dayton that were being committed then we would have won this game in the second half. We played our hearts out on defense and we cooled off a little on offense but we still played a great second half overall in that we palyed an excellent top 17 team to a 25-25 tie even with the refs against us. It was a really fun game and the crowd was into it!

Fair enough. I was only relaying my perception based on listening to the game online.

Late in the game, the big white guy for Dayton took about eight steps with the ball in the post, only to have the refs call a blocking call on us. It was as bad a call as I have ever seen (from 300 feet away of course). The refs also seemed to bail Dayton out when they drove out of control time and time.

The guys played their hearts out; if only we had anyone with post offense we could have crushed these SOBs.

P.S. That Roberts kid reminds me of Ray Allen; a pure shooter with excellent atheticism. He is one heck of a guard.

Late in the game, the big white guy for Dayton took about eight steps with the ball in the post, only to have the refs call a blocking call on us. It was as bad a call as I have ever seen (from 300 feet away of course). The refs also seemed to bail Dayton out when they drove out of control time and time.

That was HORRIBLE. This crew was a disgrace.

The guys played their hearts out; if only we had anyone with post offense we could have crushed these SOBs.

P.S. That Roberts kid reminds me of Ray Allen; a pure shooter with excellent atheticism. He is one heck of a guard.

That is a good comparison. Roberts has supreme confidence--cocky really--and he has unlimited range. I do not know if he can defend in the NBA but on a team like the Suns he could score 20 points a game. He was very impressive!

Husak was brutal out there tonight. This may have been one of the worst games he's played this year.

I still don't know what to expect out of Eberhardt.

Agreed. Shouldn't there be as rule, don't throw the ball to Bryce in traffic? When he has space he can get off his shot, which is a good one. When he is in traffic he seems to get stripped over half the time. His presence on defense is a plus.

Eberhardt is probably still adjusting to D1 ball. Our history with jucos has usually been they do much better the second year. He's shown enough that I think he'll be a good player next year and servicable this year.

Husak's presence on defense is a negative. He's not intimidating teams aren't scared to go after him because they knoe he is slow and his feet get tangled up. people are not afraid to post him up. On offense just keep him away from the basket because if he gets the ball he'll shoot his soft jumper or pass it back out instead of going at the basket. That if if the ball hasn't been slapped and stolen away because he will bring it down to his waist. Very simple scouting repoet on Bryce.

Husak's presence on defense is a negative. He's not intimidating teams aren't scared to go after him because they knoe he is slow and his feet get tangled up. people are not afraid to post him up. On offense just keep him away from the basket because if he gets the ball he'll shoot his soft jumper or pass it back out instead of going at the basket. That if if the ball hasn't been slapped and stolen away because he will bring it down to his waist. Very simple scouting repoet on Bryce.

It has become apparent that Bryce just doesn't have the skill set or the demeanor to really assert himself on the basketball court game after game. He is most certainly giving us his best effort and I commend him for being out there. As far as the officials were concerned, I always think that maybe I'm just watching with my Billiken lenses on, but these guys, especially the taller silver haired guy, were just BRUTAL! My main complaint is that he was just plain lazy, and made calls when he was out of position. All of these calls went against the Billikens. Roberts, who is the best player I've seen all year, was playing with the Jordan rules out there, especially on some out of control scoop shot drives to the basket that should have been no-calls. Overall as Billiken fans we really got our money's worth last night, but until we get the 6-8 or above athletes that are coming in next year we are fighting a losing battle. One more thing; all you Dayton fans are not getting in the new building next year so I hope it was fun while it lasted.

Band Legend I agree we got our money's worth from the team last night and what we clearly need is a group not just one or two big men abe to do what Little does. As for the refs I knew it was a bad sign before the game during warmups that the refs were chatting with roberts at half court. Then seeing the 50-50 calls go in heavy favor for Dayton ........arrrgh we were not going to win that game if we depended upon a call or two. I suppose as a conference we want our bests teams to shine and also rans to prove it, I am just sick of being the also ran. Roberts is one hell of a player and for the most part he did not have an arrogant persona from what I could tell.

Three things that will change next year.....

1--- We we have the senior stars the refs ought to be giving the calls TL never seems to get them. That traveling call when he got pummeled was ridiculous.

2--- We should have a commissioner who thinks that having professional refs is important, there performances will be important.

3--- We will have our big men who are athletic.....and our point guard ought to be an offensive threat.

I am concerned though for Kevin and Tommie that they may go four years without post season........