How soon they forget SIUC

davidlee

http://salukitalk.net/st/viewforum.php?f=1...6956221870d8075

I just looked at the SIUC board and some of the fans need to be put on "suicide" watch.

I thought they were over hyped before the season started; replacing both Tatum and Young was going to take some time. I am a little surprised they have gone so far down hill. I know they have some great recruits coming in and have some redshirts for next year, but they lose both Falker and Shaw. I like Lowery and hope things turn around for him.

They only scored 13 points in the first half of their game yesterday against Ill State. I don't think any of Brad's team ever did that, did they?

I don't recall 13 in the FRUBS era, but I do recall not doing even a point a minute ---- which meant 18 or 19 points in a half. I have heard many people say things like "the college game is a guard game," and "the A10 is a guard's league," and even "your point guard is the engine of your team -- as he goes, you go." Falkner and Shaw aren't guards ---- so overall I'm not surprised. Then, next year, they lose them ---- the balance is so delicate especailly in themid-major ranks.

Its perspective. Five-year followers of the Bills don't have it. Same could be said of the current Saluki fans. A Sweet Sixteen appearance is an aberration for them, not the norm. My buddyis a Red Sox fan. A long-suffering Sox fan who has seen two World Series titles in 50 years. His kid is 10 and seen the same thing. He's not a long-suffering fan ---- he thinks the Sox have been and always will be great. That is what he knows.

A great day in the Taj household ---- sitting in the afterglow that is a Redskin elimination AND a Steeler elimination. If Eli and boys goes down, three out of four ain't bad. (I don't care about the final game of the weekend.)

They have really fallen. As far as good recruits coming in, Lowery has been bragging for quite some time. Some guys have simply turned out as expected and hoped for on their end. Carbondale has had quite a run for 8 or 9 years under 3 different coaches. Herren (sp?) has some good years prior to Weber too. Suicide watch is extreme but their fans know that they will not win at the levels they have come to enjoy and expect with freshmen - redshirt freshmen or first year freshmen. SIUC's secret to their success has been good coaching (still have) and solid (not necessarily great) recruiting year in and year out. No NBA type players but solid, experienced Jr. and Sr. players. As other programs have shown as well, well-coached teams full of experienced players will not only win at home but also on the road and against ranked and talented teams. 8 losses in 11 games culminating with a loss to lowly Illinois State.

Then Missouri State loses to a very average Creighton team.

B) I think we need to reconsider scheduling these Valley teams who are killing our RPI.

I just looked at the SIUC board and some of the fans need to be put on "suicide" watch.

I thought they were over hyped before the season started; replacing both Tatum and Young was going to take some time. I am a little surprised they have gone so far down hill. I know they have some great recruits coming in and have some redshirts for next year, but they lose both Falker and Shaw. I like Lowery and hope things turn around for him.

They only scored 13 points in the first half of their game yesterday against Ill State. I don't think any of Brad's team ever did that, did they?

Has the local media in St. Louis discussed in print the apparent superiority of the A-10 over the MVC? Because they have sure been quick to point out the opposite over the last few years.

Has the local media in St. Louis discussed in print the apparent superiority of the A-10 over the MVC? Because they have sure been quick to point out the opposite over the last few years.

Your team is 1-1 against two middle of the pack Valley teams and that proves the A-10 "superior" to the MVC. Both conferences are upper-echelon Mid-Majors, neither conference is superior to the other. That is true now and has been true even in the past few years when the Valley is up and the A10 has been down. If the A-10 were unquestionably superior than the MVC, they'd not only have a better RPI but a much better RPI. They don't have either, the Valley's RPI is better than the A-10 so far. I get that you guys think there is disproportionate coverage of the Valley vs. SLU in the St. Louis market, but you really need to let it go. Play some golf, read a book, there's no need to keep taking shots at other conferences.

That said, I'd think I'd rank the non-BCS conferences this season: 1. Mountain West 2. MVC 3. A-10, but they're all really close.

Your team is 1-1 against two middle of the pack Valley teams and that proves the A-10 "superior" to the MVC. Both conferences are upper-echelon Mid-Majors, neither conference is superior to the other. That is true now and has been true even in the past few years when the Valley is up and the A10 has been down. If the A-10 were unquestionably superior than the MVC, they'd not only have a better RPI but a much better RPI. They don't have either, the Valley's RPI is better than the A-10 so far. I get that you guys think there is disproportionate coverage of the Valley vs. SLU in the St. Louis market, but you really need to let it go. Play some golf, read a book, there's no need to keep taking shots at other conferences.

That said, I'd think I'd rank the non-BCS conferences this season: 1. Mountain West 2. MVC 3. A-10, but they're all really close.

The RPI is a mirage given the number of teams in each conference. I'd take the top 6-8 in the A-10 over the top 6-8 in the MVC this year every day of the week and twice on sunday. Sure...Evansville could probably beat La Salle, but I tend to judge the conferences by their top teams and this year there is no comparison between the leagues' top teams.

Take a look back over the last 2-4 years and recognize that valley fans have pranced around with extreme arrogance regarding the strength of the valley. Now that things are turning towards the historical norms, Valley fans are quick to state that there is no need to "keep taking shots at other conferences." Funny.

You think the MVC is better than the A-10 this year, yet the overwhelming pre-season favorite (SIU-c) lost to the preseason number 8 or 9th best team in the A-10.

Congrats to SIU-c on its 13 point half.

So a guy who continues to drop in to visit the SLU Board to defend the honor of the MVC is suggesting that we need to "let it go"? :D

Also, let's have the valley play some real out of conference games. Did anyone in the valley play any top level BCS team?

SLU has had some lousy first halves of games, as recently as a few weeks ago. RM seems to be getting the team over 20 points at halftime these days.

Also, let's have the valley play some real out of conference games. Did anyone in the valley play any top level BCS team?

Moy. Not just "Did anyone..." but has anyone in the Valley ever played any top level BCS team? Even the past few years, lower level and lesser "name" schools in the Big 10, Big 12 have been the norm. Some is definitely the result of BCS schools not wanting to play mid-majors. At the same time, IMO, I do believe many Valley schools really don't want to play the elite schools. Iowa, Wisconsin, Iowa State, etc. - big deal !!

Mostatefan. There you guys go again talking about the RPI. Elgin and the Valley have truly mastered the RPI. Don't play anyone really bad or good, include key "neutral site" games, then beat up on each other in conference and watch your RPI increase. Your statement that Valley ranks higher than the A10 - this year - shows you lack either basketball knowledge or objectivity. Either way, go read your book.

Moy. Not just "Did anyone..." but has anyone in the Valley ever played any top level BCS team? Even the past few years, lower level and lesser "name" schools in the Big 10, Big 12 have been the norm. Some is definitely the result of BCS schools not wanting to play mid-majors. At the same time, IMO, I do believe many Valley schools really don't want to play the elite schools. Iowa, Wisconsin, Iowa State, etc. - big deal !!

Mostatefan. There you guys go again talking about the RPI. Elgin and the Valley have truly mastered the RPI. Don't play anyone really bad or good, include key "neutral site" games, then beat up on each other in conference and watch your RPI increase. Your statement that Valley ranks higher than the A10 - this year - shows you lack either basketball knowledge or objectivity. Either way, go read your book.

For be it for me to stick up for the Valley, but they have played BCS teams this season. MSU lost to Arkansas. SIUC lost to Indiana, Mississippi State, and USC. Drake beat Iowa and Iowa State. Wichita State beat LSU and lost to Baylor. Creighton beat Depaul and Nebreska. Northen Iowa beat Iowa State. ISU lost to Indiana and beat Cincy. Bradley played Iowa State (win), Iowa (win), Vandy (lost), and Michigan State (lost).

For be it for me to stick up for the Valley, but they have played BCS teams this season. MSU lost to Arkansas. SIU lost to Indiana, Mississippi State, and USC. Drake beat Iowa and Iowa State. Wichita State beat LSU and lost to Baylor. Creighton beat Depaul and Nebreska. Northen Iowa beat Iowa State. ISU lost to Indiana and beat Cincy. Bradley played Iowa State (win), Iowa (win), Vandy (lost), and Michigan State (lost).

Actually we beat Miss St. pretty handily. It was the USC game that started our spiral. Our strength of schedule is #6 so I don't think our competition is that bad. Bottom line is a down year for the Valley and an up year for the A10.

Actually we beat Miss St. pretty handily. It was the USC game that started our spiral. Our strength of schedule is #6 so I don't think our competition is that bad. Bottom line is a down year for the Valley and an up year for the A10.

Or back to normal for both conferences. So, I see Indiana, Vandy and Miss. St. as 3 upper echelon BCS schools that the Valley has played this year. I'm not impressed.

My bad. I knew you guys won that game. It was a mistake on my part. Your schedule has been pretty brutal so far. You also played Butler. We need you and MO St. to get on a roll to help our RPI.

Or back to normal for both conferences. So, I see Indiana, Vandy and Miss. St. as 3 upper echelon BCS schools that the Valley has played this year. I'm not impressed.

I think USC is going to look pretty good at the end of the season and Michigan State is is 6 in both polls and 5 in the RPI.

That said, I am still glad that we are in the A10 instead of the Valley. The A10 is in a position to be a stronger conference on a year in year out basis.

My bad. I knew you guys won that game. It was a mistake on my part. Your schedule has been pretty brutal so far. You also played Butler. We need you and MO St. to get on a roll to help our RPI.

I think USC is going to look pretty good at the end of the season and Michigan State is is 6 in both polls and 5 in the RPI.

That said, I am still glad that we are in the A10 instead of the Valley. The A10 is in a position to be a stronger conference on a year in year out basis.

I confused Miss. St. and Ole Miss. Miss. St. is 10-5 and just beat LSU, so they seem to be a good, not great (or upper echelon) team. You're right about Mich. St.

So the Valley played 3 top BCS teams in Mich. St., Indiana and Vandy, to go with a talented USC team.