Frericks out for tomorrow

Iggy

Actually, as far as gold gloves go- they've both got 6. Jones' career started 3 years after Edmonds' did.

To compare their raw fielding data (which is sketchy at best for all fielders):

Fielding Percentage:

Edmonds- .986

Jones- .993

Assists:

Edmonds- 12

Jones- 8

Range Factor (outs per game [doesn't account for total chances])

Edmonds- 3.06

Jones- 2.70

Zone Rating (for a more detailed explanation of zone rating: http://www.baseballprimer.com/articles/cdi...-03-06_0.shtml)

Edmonds- .903

Jones- .840

Looking at those, it would appear as though Edmonds has a slight edge in most categories. I'm not sure if this accounts for the pitching staff someone plays behind, so let me look into this.

Atlanta's Pitchers Ground Ball/Fly Ball ratio: 1.5/1

St. Louis' Pitchers G/F ratio: 1.15/1

Looking at this, I would have to hurriedly conclude that Edmonds has a slight edge in fielding, and his overwhelming edge in hitting wins out.

>drew is going to emerge in atlanta. he was never going to

>do it in st louis though. he needed a kick in the pants to

>wake him up and i am hoping this is it. playing along side

>two pro's the level of the jones boys will help as well.

Last year LaRussa spoke at the law school (you all know he's a lawyer, right? One of only 6 managers with a law degree). Anyhow, afterwards he stayed and talked with a few students who asked him a number of questions, one specifically about players on the team. He said there was one who would never like up to his potential because he was soft and just didn't care about being great. He didn't name the player but provided enough hints that everyone knew whom he was talking about.

I watch alot of baseball as I'm sure you do Roy ... but your statements about Jones range as compared to Edmonds are way off base. You will argue your teams strengths to the end regardless of right or wrong. ... he has no more range than Edmonds ... he plays 5 steps deeper and Edmonds still gets to as many balls.

I know who votes on Gold Gloves ... I question wether you know more than they do

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

at that. I would think to get the level of major leagues you would not survive very long if you are soft.

Just curious. Do you know where LaRusso received his law degree and the names of the other managers that have law degrees. I always thought most managers came up through the ranks as players and being that most baseball players (I know exceptions) don't have college degrees because of baseballs farm system, having any kind of a graduate or professional degree would be very rare. Thanks..

Don't quote me, but I believe LaRussa got his law degree there.

two cents

I hate comparing players at different positions and at different eras. No way no how anybody could tell me Scott Rolen has been better than Jim Edmonds in recent history. Not close imo.

Edgar Renteria is NOT a lead-off hitter. He has a good on base percentage, but does not hit like a lead-off guy. A #2 #3 #6 best spots for him. It is like when everyone said Vina had speed...lol...Vina had average speed. Edgar knows how to steal and is smartest player on the team, but he isn't fast. Obviously watching Willie McGee play shows you can be the fastest and not good at it either.

I am afraid this current regime's opportunity to win has come and passed...not mixing in young developed minor leaguers with the good free agency moves and trades has hurt the club. DK's death was unfortunate as well.

This team is all or nothing on offense. Streaky hitters too. stat geeks can look up how the Cards hit against "good" pitchers and it was NOT good at all. They lit up cupcakes and padded stats.

Scott Rolen is big, strong, good player, hustles, quiet, and is a white guy so he is popular in STL. He is streaky hitter, plays a good third base defensively, though I wanted better last year,wanted more consistent offense for that price tag. Jim Edmonds is popular but a primadonna. On base percentage and slugging percentage are the only two offensive categories that mean anything to me. I have seen Edmonds clutch in big games, clutch in post-season when it is needed. Sure he is streaky during season. I am very hopeful Rolen will turn into Edmonds eventually offensively. If not I will be disappointed.

Morris? Won more games past 3 years than Andy Pettite and tied with Rocket Clemens...not bad. With that said he NEEDS to get some balls and pitch like a number one and not a number 2 pitcher, and lead. He needs to take over. His fast ball was straight most of last year, without movement. Shoulder? curve inconsistent, you hang em we bang em.

and last money....now even clown teams like the Cubs are spending $$ and doing it in right spots...their forever terrible futility has allowed those draft picks and they are finally paying off.

If Morris and Williams(yipes, one of these seasons Woody is going to blow up, getting old too much work...will it be this year?) go 7 innings 3 runs.....what I want, bullpen can't be any worse than last year.

Cards need a lead-off hitter who DRAWS WALKS, on base percentage.....etc...HUGE for this team!

>at that. I would think to get the level of major leagues you

>would not survive very long if you are soft.

>

>Just curious. Do you know where LaRusso received his law

>degree and the names of the other managers that have law

>degrees. I always thought most managers came up through the

>ranks as players and being that most baseball players (I

>know exceptions) don't have college degrees because of

>baseballs farm system, having any kind of a graduate or

>professional degree would be very rare. Thanks..

When someone has a TON of potential like Drew you'll survive, especially when teams invest a lot of money in you as a first round draft pick. The problem is not meeting that potential, which is why he got traded. You also have the worry that eventually a kid will "get it" kind of like Gary Sheffield (think the Brewers regret that trade???) or many others so the wait will be worth it.

As someone below mentioned, TL got his law degree at Florida State. Said he did it while in the minor in Florida in case this baseball thing didn't work out. The 5 others with law degrees were from way back, I believe.