Reality Check....a rant

To the Blue Crew and those who say don't come if you aren't going to be loud....Bite me! Our 10,000 souls in a twenty two thousand seat tomb aren't very loud. Put the quietest eight thousand of us into the 8000 seat Show Me Center and they'd be pretty loud. The games where we play well against good teams the crowd is pretty loud and I come home hoarse just like the rest of you. After the Depaul game I wasn't quite as hoarse as usual but I did have some problem's picking all the plastic shards out from under my fingernails from going white-knuckled on the seats in front of me. WE BLEW A TWENTY-ONE POINT LEAD! If you feel the need to cheer wildly for that instead of staring on in dismay, go for it.

Give the best center court seats to the students if you like. Maybe it'll be loud if the team is winning and they care to come. Wouldn't it be great to have a big block of empty seats instead of a big block of quiet arthritic seniors! I'll be pushed back up to the rafters by those seasoned citizens when they get bumped for the students.

With Morris in Green Bay, and Liddell looking at prep schools, and Fish and Sloan graduating, and JJ a question mark, and DC a conundrum, and AD inconsistant, and IO an enigma, and no one to play power forward, next year looks just as jagged as this year.

I'm hoping my .500 prediction is still doable this year. Next year do we improve?

Who says TL is looking at Prep schools? Someone says "if TL does not qualify and ends up going to a prep school do you still think he will come back to SLU" and all of a suddent TL is going to a prep school and we are getting screwed. Plug make into reality - with TL nothing has happened good about is test score but nothing has changed either from when he signed - he is still trying to qualify and he still has some time to do so. As far as the loudness of the crowd goes at the DePaul game - I said this before, you blow a 21 point lead and any crowd is going to be quiet. Students sitting at center court is dumb - put them on the floor but by the visitors bench so they can cause havoc. Why do you think the band is where it is!

B Rich- have you enrolled for courses at SLU this semester because you sure sound about as pessimistic about the crowds and the team as actual students do...

I for one am not arguing for student seats to be front and center, but I am a strong believer that students, regardless of the school, should be the focus since we are the ones that attend the university and "support" the team. Now I know this is unrealistic in certain terms and that schools need the big bucks to come from alumni and other deep pocketed individuals to keep the program afloat (and as thanks for this giving them prime seats), but I think that the students are slowly being phased out of the college sports equation. Case in point--the Texas-OU football game held in Dallas every year for the last 60 yrs or so that is in jeopardy now since each school is demanding an unreasonable amount of money to play there and taking "student" tickets and giving them to donors instead.

I agree that general student support is lacking. BillikenLaw, I agree that Blue Crew could do more and be like the Cameron Crazies but there simply isnt the desire to do that. I've tried to have us create more chants and tailored cheers to the teams we play but nobody is interested in doing that. By the way, if you are so dissatisfied with our performance, I invite you to join next year and even run for a position to help us improve...apparently you have an idea of what we should be so I welcome your ideas on how we can become that.

I did post about my frustration with the lack of crowd support and noise at the Weds game. I am not adamant (and even realistic) in saying that I think every fan should stand and yell for 40 minutes, but I do think it is a little pathetic when, in a tie game with minutes left, the atmosphere is mellower and more reserved than some of the 10pm masses at College Church on Sun night. I do think it is realistic that the "bluehairs" and other paople sitting on their hands remove them from the asses and clap when we do "DE-FENSE" or join in when we do the simplistic and easy-to-follow "S-L-U" cheer...

When the Bills are slipping in a game, it'd be better if the crowd would get fired up. The crowd is definitely the 6th man on the floor, and a lot of cheering and overall rowdiness would get the bills on their game, and might even take the opponents off of theirs. I know it's rough watching a 21 point slide, but it's even rougher if the fans can't overcome that and cheer their team on.

BlueCrewPres is correct when he says that it's unrealistic to expect everyone to stand and cheer for 40 minutes, but 2 minutes in a tie ballgame is hardly unreasonable.

for that matter, just a passionate Bills fan by family connection. I'm not knocking the Blue Crew who were sufficiently crazy at the game. I'm just a little ticked off with the the don't come if you aren't loud comment. How about a "don't come if you aren't prepared to play 40 minutes of defense rule" for the players.

In any case, I've never been to Allen Field House or Cameron but the few road games I've been to at Missouri, Kansas, and, Illinois the places weren't exactly wicked loud either. Granted KU was in KC but the point still stands. If we packed our people in the Pyramid it'd still be a pit.

Want it LOUD? Build a smaller arena, recruit better athletes and win.

I've voiced my opinion ... with 3-5 minutes left in a close game especially when we are on defense ... the fans should be cheering and loudly ... we can make a difference. When a player has to wave his arms for the fans to get up and cheer ... and it still doesn't help ... that is sad. Show some passion ...

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman