BC Thread

philliken

I will add my thoughts to the end of this thread because there is no real reason to create a new one.

Not too much positive to report about the game but it sounds like a lot of you saw it. This team looked real bad on offense and while they played decent and had good perimeter defense most of the time, there were a lot of matchup problems related to size. None of our interior defenders position themselves very well or move very well (out of position both for stopping and rebounding). I will leave it at that.

I will say that the place was completely dead. My friend said the atmosphere was "shocking". There is something seriously wrong with major college sports right now and somebody has to say it. The people who would actually show up and cheer are priced out and "the acquisitors" get all the seats. Its true that you can maximize revenue by making people buy seat licenses and tying basketball tickets to better football ticket allocation--but it means that no one will show up for most basketball games. I guess revenue is the only thing that matters. There was easily over 50% no shows and the place was not sold out. I will be back next week for the UMass game (where it should be full mainly because the visitors want to sell the place out) and it will be different obviously but BC's attendance has been a joke for years. If they did not get exciting ACC matchups in conference (where a lot of visitors and local alums show up) they could easily average under 3K actual gate for a season.

The student shootout at halftime was the most exciting thing of the evening. Both guys were terrible but at least one guy could make a layup--he only needed to make one more layup to win and he went out to take more 3's and FTs. I guess they don't teach basic strategy at BC. A 4 ft woman just went up and made 8 layups in a row to win the whole thing.

I saved the best line for last. On my way a grizzled BC fan told me "I knew you guys couldn't win with Jimmy O'Brien's bagman for a coach." Very funny and very Boston line.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Liddell, Lisch, Eberhardt, and Eckerle. After that, all bets are off. I would wager money (if I were a betting man) that Maguire and Knollmeyer will be gone, and I'm not feeling particularly comfortable that A. Mitchell and Relphorde will be back.

Does Majerus look at his 2008-09 roster (i.e., in his mind) and believe he still has four scholarships to fill? Would he really bring in a nine-man recruiting class -- possibly all freshmen? It's coaches like this that led to the NCAA's putting in that 5/8 rule they had a few years ago.

(With the outcome certain with two minutes left, Mitchell and Relphorde still couldn't get off the bench?!!)

I think he'll run off 2 of the rest and maybe all 4. The niceness seems to have left Billikenland. He better show results. What I don't get is he says he cares most about them as people, then as students and last as basketball players. It sure doesn't seem that way with his constant berating of them as players.

Liddell, Lisch, Eberhardt, and Eckerle. After that, all bets are off. I would wager money (if I were a betting man) that Maguire and Knollmeyer will be gone, and I'm not feeling particularly comfortable that A. Mitchell and Relphorde will be back.

Does Majerus look at his 2008-09 roster (i.e., in his mind) and believe he still has four scholarships to fill? Would he really bring in a nine-man recruiting class -- possibly all freshmen? It's coaches like this that led to the NCAA's putting in that 5/8 rule they had a few years ago.

(With the outcome certain with two minutes left, Mitchell and Relphorde still couldn't get off the bench?!!)

I was going to comment on that last night (Mitchell and Relphorde), but also desperately wanted to see the Bills get the lead down to close to 10. Maybe RickMa was thinking the same thing. Who knows? But yes, I believe that this season is truly going to be the end of the "old" Billikens.

Thank God for baby class - I didn't have to listen to the second half of this nightmare.

I'm just exasperated at this point. I hate to say it, but for the first time that I can remember, I'm not looking forward to attending the upcoming games. And if I feel that way, that must mean that the casual fan has absolutely no interest in this team right now.