Same problem as last year

ACE

tseugnekillib, assuming we rightfully resume our previous annual meeting with siu next year, i will buy into your argument if our yet to be named power forward outplays matt next year.

my fear is that matt will show us what we missed out on. after watching him in the summer for the eagles and 4x this winter, i feel he would have been at least chris sloan from day one as a billiken pf. he does adequate with the ball, but he isnt a classic wing i would have wanted. if we were talking small forward, i dont think he matches up to meyer and liddell for instance.

i agree he is not the idea power forward, but we havent been given any alternative to chew on either. the only nibble we are hearing is frericks buddy from chipola who also is 6'6" tall.

>I don't see where jjray says we need to seek out another

>guard, Roy. He's just saying that Liddell qualifying is

>what will make next year special, not another journeyman

>power forward. I'd rather have JJ than Marquette's juco

>All-American power forward Marcus Jackson, who has been a

>non-factor for the Golden Eagles.

3Star has my intention correctly. I don't think who we get with the last scholarship is going to have a lot of effect on next year as far as a front-line starter goes. We have problems getting juco players who can qualify at SLU--see Brandon Morris--and it would be hard to pickup an uncomitted high school senior at this late date who can contribute next year. I'm only saying that our size and skill at 4 are not going to be what hold us back next year. We can compete there. Our guard play, minus Liddell, will be our problem. Drejaj is a defensive stopper in my eyes with offensive deficiencies. He can give you some minutes at the point but if we overexpose him there, teams like UAB and Memphis will press and trap us at will.

if angres went to talk to someone after the game saturday, i am hoping our target is someone south or west and not the florida kid. that peoria kid that is playing at the texas juco with dennard abraham would make sense.

I am not worried about DP at the point. Freshmen can start there and the topline ones usually do. DP was rated very high as a soph and from all signs is 100% recovered. If the knee hadn't happenned he may be a top 50 player right now. If AD is playing more than 10-12 minutes a game at the point we are in trouble. Defensively he is a stud ... but we need people who can play defense and score. AD is a huge liability on offense. Maybe in the offseason he will find his confidence and stroke and become the kid we saw signs of as a freshman, but as he is now... he is a huge offensive liability.

With DP at the point we will be a much better team offensivly. He will penetrate and score or kick it out and create open looks for RB and the 3. From what I have heard his also has a very nice 3 pt shot which will bring his defender in creating more opportunities to drive. He is going to add a demension to our offense that we haven't seen in years. Not even H. as he was a different kind of point.

I agree our most glaring need is an athletic 4 ... hopefully one who can run the floor and finish at the basket. I think we will be surprised at what we see from JJ after the offseason. Just imagine DP making a steal and dishing to JJ on a fast break ... we will be returning a few favors from the last couple of years.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

When Newborne was a freshman at Howard College, he had team season highs of 16 rebounds and 9 offensive rebounds. Now that he is a sophomore at Chipola, Newborne is the leading rebounder on the squad with almost half of his total coming off the offensive boards.

I'd argue that's exactly the type of player we need up front. Maybe he doesn't pass the size test, but he passes the production test.

http://www.wjcac.com/howard_college_hawks_basketball2.htm

http://www.chipola.edu/extrac/athl/basketb...-2004-stats.htm

I just don't think everyone realizes or has really thought about how a point guard with DP's skill (I am going by what I have heard ... as I have not seen him play) really changes the dynamic of a team. Of course I hope TL qualifies as he will even take it up a notch.

If TL qualifies just think about DP, TL, RB, AD, and DC playing UB's defense and harrassing the ball and the passing lanes. We will create turnovers and be seeing hi-lite reel plays on the fast breaks that are a result of the turnovers.

I think DP is also a very good student and smart kid ... I expect he will become a team leader by midway through next season.

Though the players we lose next year are great kids with tremendous hustle and grit ... they will not be as hard to replace as some seem to think they will.

CS ... not a 4 or a 3 ... 10.2ppg 4.8 rpg

JF ... sorry but not a great point ... and doesn't shoot well

11.3ppg 4.1apg

RV ... hmmmm

PH ... enough said

Before I get trashed with all the remarks about how good these guys are ... take a look at the reality of the situation ... neither are even 3rd team CUSA and neither is playing in their ideal position. Also neither have the ability to take us to the next level. I think our young guys and newcomers do.

Even if TL does not qualify next year we will have

Point DP/AD

2 guard RB/LM/DC/AD

3 wing LM/IO/DC

4 forward IO/JJ/recruit

5 center TF/IV/BH

We will be replacing our current players with a much more athletic line-up. Now if UB can get them to play the type of defense I think he can ... we will be a better team. IF we add TL to this list ... I am really excited.

skip said, "If TL qualifies just think about DP, TL, RB, AD, and DC playing UB's defense and harrassing the ball and the passing lanes. We will create turnovers and be seeing hi-lite reel plays on the fast breaks that are a result of the turnovers."

just to warn you because i assume you have either not seen much of tommie liddell or not viewed his game at all, if tommie has a weakness it might be a consistent defensive effort. i would campare his defense more to reggie bryant than josh fisher if you know what i mean. not that he cant become a great defender. he plays probably as good on the defensive end as any player on the east side team, but in reality his intensity is not billiken like at this point.

last, if josh picks it up the rest of the season, josh could still be a third team all conference usa. i think both josh and/or tom frericks with a more consistent and better output could still join reggie on that team. if the billikens can finish very strong, it will probably be because josh and frericks and reggie carried us there.

agreed Roy ... I am dissapointed and surprised though that during the biggest 3 game stretch of the season Josh played probably his poorest games of the season.

TL has the quickness and athletic ability to be a great defender ... I am assuming that UB believes that he can bring that out of TL. Plus my take is that his high school coaching is very poor.

skip said, "agreed Roy ... I am dissapointed and surprised though that during the biggest 3 game stretch of the season Josh played probably his poorest games of the season."

i agree completely.

skip said, "TL has the quickness and athletic ability to be a great defender ... I am assuming that UB believes that he can bring that out of TL. Plus my take is that his high school coaching is very poor."

you are absolutely correct about the east side coaching. probably the biggest waste of athletic ability in the area (though i believe the hazelwood central talent is close). i cringe when i see the east side team offensively stand around and let one player play nba one on one. that team should be running every team they play out of the gym laker showtime like. granted tommie is the best one on player in the area, but too often it isnt even tommie that has the ball.