Just got back from Memphis

StlCardinal

All in all, it was a fun road trip, but it sure would have so much better if we actually one this one. A few observations:

- This was my first time inside the Pyramid, and I was impressed. It's the perfect size for college basketball, and it seemed like every seat in the house would have a pretty good view.

- It was fun to sit with a bunch of other rabid Billiken fans. The Blue Crew was out in force, and I think we sufficiently annoyed all the Memphis fans around us :-D

- Reggie ended up with 20 or so points, but this was not one of his better games. He took some ill-advised shots, and he seems gun-shy to put up the 3 since he's been cold from outside the past few games. We really need him to start knocking down the 3 again.

- Billiken Roy was right--the Rum Boogie Cafe was a great place to stop on Beale St. They had a great local blues band, tons of guitars from famous musicians, and of course, great food. The highlight of the trip!

stl, did you get a chance to eat ribs at the roundevous? if not, next time make that a mandate.

the difference in this game was josh fisher being thoroughly dominated by burks and frericks again not staying out of foul trouble. it seems to me that josh and tom seem to take this team with them.

izik should have played more. he was really our best offensive threat today imo. sure reggie had more points, but izik seemed to score more often on his opportunitites.

i too thought that anthony drejaj had a much better game than he has had as of late.

sloan contained banks a lot better than i expected. after the way withers dominated chris, i expected banks to dominate chris.

not much else to say. i know thicks said not to rip on calipari, but my gosh, the billikens are down what 10 and the clock is under 2 minutes and the tigers are racing down the floor shooting very ill advised shots. thanks cal for trying to give us a chance.

your statement is beyond unbelievable. you obviously havent been around coach soderberg much. i can guarantee you that if brad wasnt telling or wanting reggie to shoot, reggie would not play.

Prayin that somehow Tommie can get the academic credentials to get admitted to SLU next year. It's painfully obvious that until we get more athletes that can consistently match up and play at both ends of the court that we will struggle to beat the very good teams.

I think that a couple things have been happening recently with Reggie. He's struggling a little with his confidence and the other/better athletic teams we played recently are really making his life tougher too. Unfortunately, this edition of the SLU Billikens is not blessed with a dearth of other scorers. If Reggie is struggling then we are going to struggle as a team. Shooters do have slumps...let's hope that Reggie gets over his slump on this 3 game home stand.

the problem is that the other teams are taking Reggie's shot away. IMO our problem is still our lack of a true point guard. We never seem to get many open looks. No one ever drives and dishes out for the open 3. This is not a knock on Josh as I will never believe he is a true point guard ...IMO he is a 2. If he was on a team that could create their own offense and just needed someone to take care of the ball he would be better situated ... but that team we are not. Our next problem is that we do not have a 4. We all know this and just love to praise CS for his hustle and grit ... but he is not atletic enough to score from that position ... or from the 3 against the top tier teams. He is a tweener who on a top 25 team would be providing a spark off the bench. If we want to be a top 25 team we have 2 players who would be starting at their current positions ... TF and RB ... IO is on the brink of reaching that level.

The positive thing is that those 3 will be back next year and we will have a real point here also in DP. We still need that 4. We need a Juco for next year and a freshmen in the following class who can start in 2 years or push JJ to b e the player that he needs to be.

Bottom line for this season is most of us picked us to win between 15 and 17 games including the CUSA tourney ... I think we will do that ... and IMO we will still have over acheived.

Official Billikens.com sponsor of H. Waldman

>I think that a couple things have been happening recently

>with Reggie. He's struggling a little with his confidence

>and the other/better athletic teams we played recently are

>really making his life tougher too. Unfortunately, this

>edition of the SLU Billikens is not blessed with a dearth of

>other scorers. If Reggie is struggling then we are going to

>struggle as a team. Shooters do have slumps...let's hope

>that Reggie gets over his slump on this 3 game home stand.

Brad mentioned last night that Reggie is no longer a surprise to opposing teams. They have plenty of tape on him now and are able to study his game and gameplan for him. I don't think it's as much of an issue of him struggling as other teams doing a better job d-ing up on him because they are better prepared for him now. This is why we need someone else to step up.

Incredible how people can think Reggie or anyone else who is the focal point of the offense is hoggin the ball. C'mon.

His complaint reminded me of a Marvin "News" Barnes story. The Spirits had just lost and Marvin was being interviewed postgame by Bob Costas. Costas asks Marvin what the Spririts need to do to start winning games. Marvin says "Man we gotta start playing as a team Bob, I mean I had 48 points with 2 minutes left in the game and does anybody get me the ball so I can get to 50?"